Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:26 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newred5 View Post
The student loans can not be discharged via any bankruptcy , if a person is consider disabled and receives SS disability then it's a possibility.
She needs to "rehabilitate " her student loans which means she has to make minimum monthly payments based on her income for 10 consecutive months and no late or missed payments . Once she had done that the garnishment will stop and she can apply for a income based repayment plan . That's they only way ....
There are possibilities to have them reduced or payed by taking a certain government jobs , making regular payments for 10 years and the the rest is forgiven.
Pretty sure she can't do anything but pay the garnishment until the loans are rehabilitated .... Call the student loan people ASAP ......they will work with you to figure it all out , ignoring it gets you nowhere

I thought you had to make 9 timely payments in 10 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 07:29 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Tell her to call an attorney in regards to the bankruptcy but she needs to be aware that student loans cannot be discharged in a banruptcy.
She also needs to contact the companies that hold the note for the student loans and set something up with them in regards to getting those straightened out.
She also needs to find a good solid financial plan that she will follow and start paying down her debt.
She needs to get a second job and put all of that money toward debt.
She needs to sell absolutely anything and everything that is worth anything that she owns and put all of that toward her debt.
Depending on where she lives she may need to find a roommate or move to a less expensive area and take the money she saves on rent and put it toward her debt.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:36 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,306,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I thought you had to make 9 timely payments in 10 months.
You are correct

Old 06-18-2015, 05:40 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,306,104 times
Good article
I Defaulted on My Student Loans. Here’s What I Did to Get Back on Track - The Billfold

Old 06-18-2015, 05:45 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Is she still legally married? If so, his income will probably be included in any chapter 13 calculations and he could be responsible for some of her debts. What a mess. If she goes to a BK attorney, she should probably ask him to go along because this could affect him.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:20 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Good lord... 30k car loan buy only 62k in student loans after defaulting?!?! Priorities.... Stop having babies too. She will not be able to get the student loans discharged in a bankruptcy.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:02 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,606 times
Thanks all - I was afraid that would be the consensus. I will tell her to talk to a bankruptcy attorney ASAP. Hopefully her employer can recommend someone. To say her situation is complicated is the world's biggest understatement - I left quite a bit out, even.

She's a mess, but she's my best friend and I love her. And she's never once asked me for a dime (not that I ever have it to spare), just for advice and support.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:06 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,606 times
Oh, and to answer a question I saw a few times - yes, she is still legally married, but haven't been together for a few years. Just never did anything about it. They're planning on filing sometime this year, I think, and then she and her current bf will get married. lots of stuff tangled up in here. But somehow everyone gets along. Wierdest situation ever.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:10 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post

So. She wants to file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, claiming hardship and trying to have the student loans discharged.
Not gonna happen; student loans are protected from bankruptcy. Also, it isn't considered a hardship when you're a dumbass and got yourself pregnant by two different people when you didn't have a job.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:23 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,415 times
I wouldn't go bankruptcy at this point. I would do 1 step at a time.

First off...find away to get rid of this car ASAP. That should be the simplest thing before she stops paying on that and it gets repoed.

I would try my best to facilitate a divorce and break free from her husband as that makes things even more complicated.

If you look at the top of the mountain you will never get there. Look at the first step and take it.

Cut every expense possible and live on nothing and get on a strict budget. Financially she can get through this but she needs a strict plan she can stick to. I wouldn't bother with bankruptcy...its just another kick in the face.

She has the ability to make more money and that needs to be done as well. A full time job making 60K a year changes her life. You are gonna have to put the kids in day care until you clean up the mess.

Oh yeah 2 words...Birth Control. No more kids now...I am sure the household is already stressed out. No need for more babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance