Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 03:21 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,385 times

Advertisements

When looking at bankrate I get quoted between 6 - 7% for Helocs / homeloans, for 30k and all under 80 ltv. This is way above the prime rate and I find it inappropriately expensive considering banks can lend money pretty much for free. Any ideas why it is so expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 03:26 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
What home loans are that high? I'm not sure how you find pricing of another business inappropriate but surely if it can be done better it's got to be out there right?

I'm also seeing rates lower than that but your might be directed by such a small amount of a line

Old 07-08-2015, 03:36 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,654,539 times

Last edited by Major Barbara; 07-08-2015 at 04:03 PM..

Old 07-08-2015, 03:46 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
This is way above the prime rate and I find it inappropriately expensive considering banks can lend money pretty much for free.
I know of no bank that lends money 'pretty much for free'!

Old 07-08-2015, 04:25 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I know of no bank that lends money 'pretty much for free'!
Sorry I meant borrow for free. I find the difference between their borrowing and then their lending rates excessive. You can get unsecured personal loans for <10%.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:40 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Sorry I meant borrow for free. I find the difference between their borrowing and then their lending rates excessive. You can get unsecured personal loans for <10%.
Well the heloc is second inline in the event of default I believe also not protected by pmi

Old 07-08-2015, 08:23 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Ours is at 3.00%

Old 07-08-2015, 08:50 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,928,108 times
Quote:
When looking at bankrate I get quoted between 6 - 7% for Helocs / homeloans, for 30k and all under 80 ltv. This is way above the prime rate and I find it inappropriately expensive considering banks can lend money pretty much for free. Any ideas why it is so expensive?
Maybe you have bad credit? What terms? My favorite 5/5 HELOC with my bank are much lower than that.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:

You may find it inappropriately expensive but you're looking at it from the view of a borrower not a lender.
If you were a lender someone came to you and wanted a loan on a property they already had a loan on, would you lend to them at a low rate or would you say, wait a minute if this guy defaults I may be eating a **** sandwich since he already has a first loan. You would want to protect your money as well as you could.

Truthfully because it's a HELOC and a higher risk loan. It's a secondary loan. If you default the primary loan finance entity is the first that has first claim. Seconds are always at a higher rate. That's why a HELOC or 2nd are a bad idea IMO. I have a great credit score and I declined a HELOC because I didn't want to pay the rate they offered. Which wasn't bad. I just didn't want the debt. I'm glad I didn't get it.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:29 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You may find it inappropriately expensive but you're looking at it from the view of a borrower not a lender.
If you were a lender someone came to you and wanted a loan on a property they already had a loan on, would you lend to them at a low rate or would you say, wait a minute if this guy defaults I may be eating a **** sandwich since he already has a first loan. You would want to protect your money as well as you could.

Truthfully because it's a HELOC and a higher risk loan. It's a secondary loan. If you default the primary loan finance entity is the first that has first claim. Seconds are always at a higher rate. That's why a HELOC or 2nd are a bad idea IMO. I have a great credit score and I declined a HELOC because I didn't want to pay the rate they offered. Which wasn't bad. I just didn't want the debt. I'm glad I didn't get it.
This

You could be snorting the money for all the bank knows and all they have to show for it is 2nd place in a line to collect should you blow up.

Tons of irrational idiocy during the last housing crack up was exposed where people were simply using Helocs as ATMs to withdraw the phantom equity they had in their home fund their continued living above income spending.

Moderator cut: quoted text has been removed

Last edited by yellowbelle; 07-09-2015 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: orphaned - quoted text removed. Please flag these type of posts instead of feeding them. :)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance