Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 11:25 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

What would I do with two million dollars? I like real estate, but that is not a passive investment and it is not without risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 11:52 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
A good reason to make the money and spend as much as you can. Leave something to those deserved but also consider charities.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:26 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPlatter View Post
Good thing I have an honest family. Last thing I'd want are liars.

Was that 7 million in divorce payments lifetime alimony or a one time payment?
7mm was fully invested lump sum......she started spending way more than just dividends!

Old 08-30-2015, 12:39 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPlatter View Post
I'm talking on the order of $2 million. I knew my grandparents had money. I didn't think they had quite that much money, though. She's not going to be getting the money at once, but rather in segments throughout the next several years. I've tried asking her how she's going to be spending the money (trips to Europe, the Caribbean ect.), and she's told me that she's still working it out. She already gets a decent amount in dividend income from stocks, so I'm unsure how much would go into additional stock purchases. I assume the majority of it is probably going to go into some kind of special savings account.

If any of you guys ended up getting such a large inheritance from a family member, what would you do with the money? What would be your plan in regards to spending or investing the money?
I'd be very worried that someone will talk her into a stupid "investment" or outright scam. Hope she's wise enough not to fall for the pitches she's bound to hear when the word gets out.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:48 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
2 mill is actually not that much these days.

I would go on a holiday, buy the obvious new house/car, and invest the balance for living income in my dotage.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:48 PM

273 posts, read 201,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
2 mill is actually not that much these days.

I would go on a holiday, buy the obvious new house/car, and invest the balance for living income in my dotage.
My family lives in an area with a rather low COL when compared to the US average. I think she'll be getting a lot out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I'd be very worried that someone will talk her into a stupid "investment" or outright scam. Hope she's wise enough not to fall for the pitches she's bound to hear when the word gets out.
She's pretty smart. She's obviously getting advice from my grandfather on what to do with money once she gets it, so I think her chances of getting scammed are minimal at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
7mm was fully invested lump sum......she started spending way more than just dividends!
That explains it, then. If I was in that woman's shoes on the verge of divorce, I would've pushed for smaller payments over the course of a life. I'm a guy, and I don't plan on marrying, so I won't have to deal with any of that legal **** anyway, thankfully.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:32 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
I would pay off the remaining balance of my house ($215,000), buy a couple new cars, take a few nice vacations and save/invest the remaining $1,650,000.

I would still work another 15 years and would retire at 45 from the full time job (pension starts at 50). I would probably work part time somewhere.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:36 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why is this your concern?
Your Mother is an adult who can make her own decisions without youe input about her finances.
Whatever she does is her choice and I bet she can figure it out.
His/her mother is family. With these kinds of events it's best to plan ahead as a family. Especially if the mom is elderly. Wealth planning is more effective when working together as a family (on the plan). As a result it should be the OP's concern. Hopefully one day you'll be in a position where wealth planning is critical and will see why there's no need to snap at people looking for help.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:02 AM

40 posts, read 30,944 times
I'd invest most of it, real estate, Peer2Peer, Mutual Funds, do some good with some of it (donate) then go to Vegas.

Thankfully you won't have to worry about it because it's your mother money.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:23 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What would I do with two million dollars? I like real estate, but that is not a passive investment and it is not without risk.
$2m of real estate CAN be a passive investment. At a certain point it becomes feasible to hire a manager to manage your properties for you. In the $2m range you should be getting at ~200k in rental income, thats more than enough to justify hiring a manager or management company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance