Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 01:02 PM

71 posts, read 60,949 times

Advertisements

Which bank or credit union do you recommend? I need a bank account that allows international bank transfers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 02:41 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Just go to your local banks and talk to them.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:14 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiigara View Post
Which bank or credit union do you recommend? I need a bank account that allows international bank transfers.
Checking or savings? Online or brick&mortar? Check online and see which works best for you.
Some banks have particular expectations. Some union banks are local ( we don't know where you live).
Some require daily or monthly minimum balance, or charge fees. You may need to fulfill some requirement to avoid the fee, such as setting up a direct deposit, using a debit card, creating a recurring transfer or linking savings and checking accounts.
You will most likely need to provide a valid, government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license or a passport, basic information to verify who you are, including your name, date of birth, current address, phone number, Social Security number (in most cases) and email address.
You will need some money, either cash, a check, a money order or digitally accessible funds, that you can easily transfer into the new account for the opening deposit.

How to select a checking account.
How to Select a Checking Account - Personal Finance - WSJ.com

Compare banks:
Compare Banks - Best Savings and Checking Account Rates

Find the best checking account bank:
Best Free Checking Account for 2015 - The Simple Dollar
The 10 Best Checking Accounts of 2015 - US News
13 Best Banks To Bank With | Banks With No Fees And High-yield Savings | AdvisoryHQ

and credit union:
NerdWallet
Banks vs. Credit Unions: Which One Is Right for You? -- The Motley Fool

Understanding international money transfers:
https://www.simple.com/blog/internat...oney-transfers
Please be aware, that there are two additional charges you may have to pay for:

1. If the bank you are currently dealing with - uses a correspondent bank for the International Transfer, then expect a fees to be levied
2. The receiving bank can also deduct some money for an inbound wire transfer.

You might not deal with the #1, but most certainly always with #2.

Compare wire transfer fees:
http://www.mybanktracker.com/news/wi...op-10-us-banks
http://www.expatica.com/nl/finance/b...ly_108328.html
http://www.finder.com/international-...nsfers/us-bank

Good luck!

Last edited by elnina; 09-27-2015 at 03:25 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 01:53 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
From recent experience your main account should be a brick and mortar. My debit card was hacked and I had a Out of state bank. It was a pain getting a replacement card. Well as far as time. Never again. I switched to a credit union.

As for international I would expect most banks to be able to do it. As suggested just call.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:59 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,693,373 times
I worked several years at a small local bank and highly recommend finding one similar or credit union that has FREE checking with debit card and online banking options. I would think about any can do international transfer.

I try to avoid the bigger name banks, but that's just me. Also, really look into any account at fees charged or minimum balance requirements. Find a bank that doesn't do that with checking accounts.

Most banks should have a pamphlet about their accounts and offers, it will be informative of what you need to know in order to choose.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:25 AM

71 posts, read 60,949 times
I still don't know which state I am going to settle down, it depends on the job offers, but I need an account ASAP, because withdrawing money from the ATM with my UK debit card gets expensive quickly. It's cheaper to wire a bulk of money to the US.
I would like a bricks and mortar checking account. Initially I will stay in South Florida, then probably move to California or NY when I find a job.

Thank you for the advice

Last edited by hiigara; 09-30-2015 at 10:56 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 12:41 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,483 times
Try one of the Midwest credit unions, high rates on their accounts. I get 3% apy in dividends through Great Lakes Credit Union at 10k max and 3 accounts max per person. I live in NYC and still make use of it.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:15 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,634,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiigara View Post
I still don't know which state I am going to settle down, it depends on the job offers, but I need an account ASAP, because withdrawing money from the ATM with my UK debit card gets expensive quickly. It's cheaper to wire a bulk of money to the US.
I would like a bricks and mortar checking account. Initially I will stay in South Florida, then probably move to California or NY when I find a job.

Thank you for the advice
Open an account now with a nationwide bank like Wells-Fargo. https://www.wellsfargo.com/locator/#fl Then you can do business at any branch anywhere.

When I moved out of state 4 years ago, I kept old state account active, and only changed the mailing address to new location. Still getting direct deposits there, and can do ATM withdrawals or deposits at any branch office anywhere. Can also manage account on-line.

Then check with your UK bank to see if you can setup recurring transfers from UK to US ( not wire transfer). I do this between my old state account and a new local bank account. Cost me $3 a month. (but it is a US to US bank transfer)

Old 10-01-2015, 12:02 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,134,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Open an account now with a nationwide bank like Wells-Fargo. https://www.wellsfargo.com/locator/#fl Then you can do business at any branch anywhere.

When I moved out of state 4 years ago, I kept old state account active, and only changed the mailing address to new location. Still getting direct deposits there, and can do ATM withdrawals or deposits at any branch office anywhere. Can also manage account on-line.

Then check with your UK bank to see if you can setup recurring transfers from UK to US ( not wire transfer). I do this between my old state account and a new local bank account. Cost me $3 a month. (but it is a US to US bank transfer)
Used Wells Fargo when we moved to the states four years ago from overseas, was a seemless transition. Walked in with ID and cash and opened an account. The branch I went to is in an area where there are many expats so that might have helped.

Did a small wire transfer from overseas that week to prove to myself it worked and to allow set up of secured credit card. With no credit you will need that. Transferred rest of cash in bulk later, check with your current bank as they likely have better (unadvertised) exchange rates for larger foreign currency transactions.

Building up the credit score took some managing but all turned out well. Still with WF but also have accounts at a local credit union now.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:51 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Best bet is a bank with branches in the country that you want to transfer money to or from.

The U.S. banks with the largest number of foreign branches are Chase and Citibank. HSBC is good in Asia. Just go on the bank's website and see where their branches are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance