Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 06:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,440,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Probably not if you are talking about a 35,000 cash gift from some one that will not give away 5,000,000+ in his lifetime or have an estate when added to gifts does not exceed about 5 million.
As the receiver of $100,000 gift ( to pay off my pesky mortgage )...there are no taxes of any kind
to any one...she could have given me a million...same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 07:32 AM

26,197 posts, read 21,655,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
As the receiver of $100,000 gift ( to pay off my pesky mortgage )...there are no taxes of any kind
to any one...she could have given me a million...same thing.
Well that's incorrect, the person gifting you the money would owe taxes on the gift above the annual exclusion. The only way around it would be to apply that gift vs their lifetime exemption.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:56 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,652,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well that's incorrect, the person gifting you the money would owe taxes on the gift above the annual exclusion. The only way around it would be to apply that gift vs their lifetime exemption.
Yes, that's important to know. Granted, gift amounts are virtually always applied against the lifetime exemption, which currently is $5.43 million per person. So as you can imagine, it is very rare that there are gift taxes on current gifts (at least at the level of people who post questions on internet boards rather than to their group of advisors)

Regarding gifts from both spouses, either they can each give from their annual exclusion, or they can elect to "split gifts", where Spouse A gives the entire amount from their assets but Spouse B consents to the use of their annual exclusion. There's some technical bits to that, but yes, Spouse B has to sign the form 709 to consent to gift splitting.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:59 AM

26,197 posts, read 21,655,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Yes, that's important to know. Granted, gift amounts are virtually always applied against the lifetime exemption, which currently is $5.43 million per person. So as you can imagine, it is very rare that there are gift taxes on current gifts (at least at the level of people who post questions on internet boards rather than to their group of advisors)

Regarding gifts from both spouses, either they can each give from their annual exclusion, or they can elect to "split gifts", where Spouse A gives the entire amount from their assets but Spouse B consents to the use of their annual exclusion. There's some technical bits to that, but yes, Spouse B has to sign the form 709 to consent to gift splitting.
If your gift is at or below the annual exclusion that isn't applied towards your lifetime exemption is it? I thought it was not as it's stated as an annual exclusion

Old 09-24-2015, 08:42 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,652,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If your gift is at or below the annual exclusion that isn't applied towards your lifetime exemption is it? I thought it was not as it's stated as an annual exclusion
Right, my response was unclear, my apologies. I meant gift amounts IN EXCESS OF the annual exclusion are virtually always applied against the lifetime exemption.

There's also the technical bit that a gift has to be a "present interest" gift (kinda like "here's a check for $14,000" or the like, rather than, say "here's an interest in a trust that you won't be able to get at for 10 years") to qualify for the annual exclusion. So a "future interest" valued at $10,000 would be applied against the lifetime exemption.

Obviously, all of these issues fall under the "such problems one should have" heading. And the usual disclaimer that I'm an idiot who doesn't know anything and people with these "problems" need to talk to real attorneys and all that.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:03 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,514,122 times
Anything up to $14k from one individual to another is covered under the annual gift tax exclusion, and both isn't taxable and doesn't count toward the lifetime exclusion.

So if both the giver and the receiver are married, they can gift up to $56k per year, tax free. Persons A and B give to persons C and D as follows

A gives C $14k
A gives D $14k
B gives C $14k
B gives D $14k

Per the 709 instruction form, it only has be filed if one individual gives more than $14k in a year to another individual. So if your friend is just 1 person gifting another person, they'd have to do the form and pay taxes to gift $35k in a single year. But if there are 3 people in the mix total, no form is required and no taxes need to be paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance