Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 04:49 PM

46 posts, read 37,044 times

Advertisements

Supply expenses are incidental items that cost $200 or less or last less than a year.

Examples include:
- Pens, pencils, paper, pads
- Printer ink, toner, copier paper
- Data CDs, floppy disks
- Stamps, labels, envelopes, mailers
- Flash drives

More examples:
- Shipping materials
- Storage and filing boxes
- Memo and message pads, Post-it notepads
- Whiteboards and markers
- Cleaning supplies
- Calendars and planners
- Staples, staplers, paper clips, scissors
- Tape, tape dispensers, rulers
- Calculators

I do not know exact amount so I can guess I spent 100 on pens.
But suppose the auditor calculates 25.
This means I was wrong by 75%.
Would there be a fine for that line.

Should I write few lines in expenses so I do not get a high fine per line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 04:51 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
An auditor would ask to see receipts. Do you keep your receipts? If not, you should start.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:56 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesouthwell View Post

I do not know exact amount so I can guess I spent 100 on pens.
When dealing with the IRS and your taxes, you do not guess.
You write the amount you can PROVE if/when you get audited.

Claim only what you have receipts for!

Old 10-14-2015, 08:40 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
When dealing with the IRS and your taxes, you do not guess.
You write the amount you can PROVE if/when you get audited.

Claim only what you have receipts for!
I don't.

I just put all that stuff on a business credit card. Mint categorizes 95%+ of it for me. No need to keep receipts for that kind of stuff. The records are kept in a timely manner without me lifting a finger for the most part. The supporting evidence of the date, amount, and purpose are all recorded. I can click on my "office expense" line item and expand it to show when a purchase was made, what the amount was, and a general description of its business purpose ("office expenses"), which is exactly what is required. Simply stating you think you spent $200 on office expenses, however, is a no go. You're good as long as you don't get audited of course, but you need records that are kept timely (generally considered to be within a week of the expense occurring) as supporting evidence. You don't need a shoe box of receipts though. It's one way of doing it but having actually done the shoe box method before I got smarter half the receipts will have faded anyway. A ledger method is easier and better than relying on receipts.

When in doubt, employ the rule of $75. Amounts $75 and under do not need to be substantiated. That doesn't work for $75 on highlighters, $75 on pencils, $75 on thumbtacks, $75 on whiteout. It does work on $75 for office expenses. I'm having serious trouble though figuring out how a B&B spends $100 on pens. I spent about $20 on a pack of pens and still have most of them sitting in a drawer.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-14-2015 at 09:06 PM..

Old 10-15-2015, 06:41 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I don't.
But you do!

I just put all that stuff on a business credit card. Mint categorizes 95%+ of it for me. No need to keep receipts for that kind of stuff. The records are kept in a timely manner without me lifting a finger for the most part. The supporting evidence of the date, amount, and purpose are all recorded. I can click on my "office expense" line item and expand it to show when a purchase was made, what the amount was, and a general description of its business purpose ("office expenses"), which is exactly what is required. [/quote]

That is your receipt of the expenses. You DO have proof

Old 10-15-2015, 09:32 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
No, it's not a receipt.

It shows on, say, 5-12-2015 that I spent $50.23 at Office Depot. It doesn't show what I specifically bought as a receipt does nor is that required. It's just a credit card statement that Mint has organized in a more useful fashion which is not a receipt. Anything I spend at Office Depot is simply lumped into office expenses for me. Say I bought a new camera at Office Depot for $1,000 using my business credit card or bought the back to school supplies for the kids. Mint would categorize that as an office expense. A DSLR camera is not a necessary business expense in my line of work. I've never used one. Even if it were, cameras are depreciated and not expensed and it wouldn't be the proper way of accounting for it for tax purposes. In that case I'd need to manually correct the ledger. What I have is substantial proof, but it's not a receipt by any means. With Office Depot, I probably also do have the receipts as I'm pretty sure they will email you the receipt which I always elect over a paper receipt. I don't keep paper receipts though and electronic isn't always available.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:08 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Not speaking from experience but I suspect if it is within reason the IRS will accept it. $50 a month at Office Depot is $600 a year. If you have 60K in income then it is 1% of sales.......reasonable. If you have $1000 in sales, then $600 in expenses seems high (60% of gross sales).

Old 10-16-2015, 06:29 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
I would say office supplies. No detail. If audited explain what you did and why.
Start keeping receipts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance