Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 01:43 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,033,857 times

Advertisements

MasterCard has ShopSafe, At many of its members banks, It generates a unique number you can use for each different online place you shop, you can set the credit limit on each one, how long its good for, if its for one purchase or countinue transaction, but it will only work at that one merchant . So if someone get that number is of no value, it won't work elsewhere.

Visa/Discover/Amex also have similar type Virtual number cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 02:11 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,270,569 times
Discover Cards have an on/off switch (they call it "freeze") that you can set from your smartphone, online or by calling them. They are selling it as a feature if you lose your card. I wish all cards had this and I would always keep the card turned off until just before I use it and shut if off right after I use it. I figured Visa and M/C would have this by now.

Very simple phone app, click it to unfreeze, process transaction, click app again to freeze, done.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:23 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,881,123 times
Isn't there a way to get 1 time use cards?

Old 11-06-2015, 10:43 AM

848 posts, read 1,955,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
First thing I would do is make sure you clean and dis-infect any nasty stuff on your computer.
+1

We do not let our credit cards out of sight. In restaurants we pay cash unless we are familiar with the establishment and are handing the card to a person at the checkout register ourselves.

We carry credit cards in RFID cases instead of wallets.

After having credit cards compromised at two different Walmarts we stopped using cards there and always pay cash (on the rare occasions we go to Walmart nowadays).

Carefully check credit card statements if you get paper statements and do it at least weekly if you can monitor it online. Sometimes thieves will charge a very small amount first to test the waters, so to speak. The sooner you can report suspicious charges the better.

Edited for online caution: Make sure you are on a secure website, i.e., https before submitting credit card information. We try to use the same card for all online transactions. It makes easier to monitor.

Last edited by Creek Hollow; 11-06-2015 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Online caution

Old 11-06-2015, 10:59 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,512,237 times
I agree with those saying to check your computer. If they got your email password as well as your account numbers, that could be the source of the problem.

Boot into safe mode, and then run your virus scanner (full scan, not a quick scan), run Malwarebytes, and run CCleaner. There are free versions of all, and between them, they do an excellent job of finding things that want to hide.

Then reboot in regular mode and run them all again.

Also, the most likely places to have your card information stolen are restaurants and gas stations. Restaurants because the card leaves your sight, and gas stations because the swipers are unmonitored and hackers put card readers on them that are difficult to see.

So at restaurants, pay cash, or pay at the front desk, or if you must use a card, use a credit card. At gas stations, either pay inside or fill up at the closest pump to the inside, where the teller can see the pump.

Last edited by Lacerta; 11-06-2015 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance