Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,029 times

Advertisements

I have been in debt for 8 years and I decided to start my road in becoming Debt free before this world blows over. Does anyone have any good resources to where I should begin getting out of debt and becoming more of a wealthy thinker?. I'm a Native American that grew up in a family with no Financial Management Knowledge but sees what's really going on in this world. Thank you and this is my first Forum post so if this is the wrong place to post then I'm sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 08:19 AM

110 posts, read 172,124 times
Perhaps beyond the usual advise that you can google, perhaps you will get some decent basic advise pertaining to your specific situation if you share a couple details. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:21 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbs87 View Post
I have been in debt for 8 years and I decided to start my road in becoming Debt free before this world blows over. Does anyone have any good resources to where I should begin getting out of debt and becoming more of a wealthy thinker?. I'm a Native American that grew up in a family with no Financial Management Knowledge but sees what's really going on in this world. Thank you and this is my first Forum post so if this is the wrong place to post then I'm sorry.
Do you have a written budget that you adhere to?

Old 01-29-2016, 08:44 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,760 times
I find mint to be a good starting point for people who have no experience with budgeting or personal finance in general. It can be limited in some advanced aspects(investment tracking has never worked there for me) but when you start out, simple is better, and automated is best.

Step 1 is always track your current spending and Mint makes that very easy if you used credit/debit cards for everything(cash can be done, but requires a little more manual effort)
Step 2 is try to set a budget for next month after you know what a normal month looks like and not go over
Step 3 look for places where you can cut your spending/increase your income.

Once you know how much your monthly surplus is, you can get into decisions on where to invest/save/pay off debt, but until you know your starting point, it's hard to do that.

Nothing worse than wiping out a month's worth of interest in a savings account because you moved money and got hit with an overdraft fee.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:30 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,829,757 times
Quote:
Can't answer anything until there's more information presented about you such as:

- What's your Gross annual income?

- Do you have any kids?

- What's your monthly/annual expenses?

- Do you currently save/invest and if so, what's your level of risk tolerance?

Old 01-29-2016, 12:40 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,716 times
Well if your main focus is to get out of debt right now...focus on that and that alone. Dave Ramsey's simple system works for helping people get out of debt.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:46 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,222 times
Dept is a mental problem. You need to adjust your thinking before doing anything else.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:15 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,348,414 times
One thing you can do is get a second job and use that money to pay down your old debt.
Then adjust your current spending so that you do not have any unpaid bills at the end of the month.
Once the debt is paid work a couple of extra months at the second job to build up an emergency fund.
Use one of the free programs such as mint to track all your expenditures.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:31 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Mr. Money Mustache is the place to go. Start here:

Getting Rich: from Zero to Hero in One Blog Post

Old 01-30-2016, 10:35 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Debt is a mental problem. You need to adjust your thinking before doing anything else.
I agree with this. Financial issues more generally are emotional and mental issues. For example, if you grew up in a family where being broke or in debt is the norm, you will tend to repeat that pattern, even if you have a decent income.

I would also say that while getting out of debt is a great goal, it can also be problematic. A lot of times, whe people meet their goal of getting out of debt, they don't know what to do next.....and so they fall back into debt. If you want true financial security, you must also have savings and investments. The Mr. Money Mustache website explains all of this in simple terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance