Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 01:44 PM

946 posts, read 1,137,562 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at 2013 Camry's and found one certified from a dealer, it's listed for $ 15,189 on their website. I used Edmunds TMV and it's pricing the car in clean condition at $ 16,624 (certified), $15,087 (dealer retail).

So these numbers won't help me in asking to lower the dealers's pricing. Any other tools I can use to bring down the price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 01:46 PM

324 posts, read 271,428 times
Cash in hand.

If you're financing your at their mercy unless you have cash or preapproval for a loan from somewhere else.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
Cash in hand.

If you're financing your at their mercy unless you have cash or preapproval for a loan from somewhere else.
I'm preapproved with a major bank. I'd like to walk in with a reasonable number and then walk out if they don't come close to that number.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:11 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,844 times
Ask him for his best price. If you agree with the price then buy it...if not go somewhere else. In general dealers have less wiggle room with used cars as opposed to new cars.

Dealers have incentives to move the new cars in volume. That is not the case with the used cars. You best bargaining chip with a used car is if you know the car has been sitting for quite some time. In that case the dealer could be more willing to drop the price to get it out of their inventory. Also a crappy carfax report could work in your favor but I would stay away from a car that has a ton of records.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:43 PM

324 posts, read 271,428 times
Find out exactly what their "certified" used car program is. Was it a basic inspection with interior cleaning, oil change and lube job? Or more intensive.

Do they have a carfax on the car? Repair records (possible if it was a trade in for a new car and the owner always used a dealership). Have all recall items been dealt with? Look the vehicle up you want so you are armed.

Do some online comparison shopping on the exact car you want in say 100 mile radius. Print out ads. Makes it look like you are even more willing to walk. Keep in mind the average markup on a trade in is 2 1/2 to 3 times their purchase price with some repairs usually small.

If they can't bargain down go for added value items. Have them put extended warranty and/or free oil changes for a year or 3. Double check ALL you final paperwork and make sure it's free and not rolled into the final price.

Also look for the agent that looks hungry for a sale, they need some commission. You can always tell them apart.

Always look like you're prepared to walk and MEAN it. They usually will call within 24 hrs if they are willing to hit your price point if you do walk.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:30 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,027 times
Considering there are like 1 billion Camrys on the road. Just have a check/cash in hand and have a MAX number that you're willing to pay.

Then it's just a game of haggle.

Let's say the max you're willing to pay is 13k.

"I like the car so I'll cut you a check for $11.5."

"Oh no that's way too low, I'm trying to feed my family here"

Either they counter, or they don't.

you can then threaten to walk...or you can say one final number.

"Ok, my absolute max is $12.5, that's the highest I can go."

either they say that's doable, or they dont. and that's when you say, thanks for the time and walk out.

---------------

Did you know that Camry comes from the Japanese word "kanmuri" for Crown?

Old 03-11-2016, 09:03 AM

780 posts, read 679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Considering there are like 1 billion Camrys on the road. Just have a check/cash in hand and have a MAX number that you're willing to pay.

Then it's just a game of haggle.

Let's say the max you're willing to pay is 13k.

"I like the car so I'll cut you a check for $11.5."

"Oh no that's way too low, I'm trying to feed my family here"

Either they counter, or they don't.

you can then threaten to walk...or you can say one final number.

"Ok, my absolute max is $12.5, that's the highest I can go."

either they say that's doable, or they dont. and that's when you say, thanks for the time and walk out.

---------------

Did you know that Camry comes from the Japanese word "kanmuri" for Crown?

Now I know lol...

What do you think is a reasonable drop percentage?

I really don't like haggling, I feel like just saying, 12.5k, that's it, cash or I walk out.

Is that an absolute no-no?

Old 03-11-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
Find out exactly what their "certified" used car program is. Was it a basic inspection with interior cleaning, oil change and lube job? Or more intensive.

Do they have a carfax on the car? Repair records (possible if it was a trade in for a new car and the owner always used a dealership). Have all recall items been dealt with? Look the vehicle up you want so you are armed.

Do some online comparison shopping on the exact car you want in say 100 mile radius. Print out ads. Makes it look like you are even more willing to walk. Keep in mind the average markup on a trade in is 2 1/2 to 3 times their purchase price with some repairs usually small.

If they can't bargain down go for added value items. Have them put extended warranty and/or free oil changes for a year or 3. Double check ALL you final paperwork and make sure it's free and not rolled into the final price.

Also look for the agent that looks hungry for a sale, they need some commission. You can always tell them apart.

Always look like you're prepared to walk and MEAN it. They usually will call within 24 hrs if they are willing to hit your price point if you do walk.
Good tips thx!

Old 03-11-2016, 12:02 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwalas View Post
Now I know lol...

What do you think is a reasonable drop percentage?

I really don't like haggling, I feel like just saying, 12.5k, that's it, cash or I walk out.

Is that an absolute no-no?
If you don't like haggling then pay the price they are asking. It is not that hard...usually it is just a meet in the middle game unless they know the car will sell that week.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:09 PM

780 posts, read 679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
If you don't like haggling then pay the price they are asking. It is not that hard...usually it is just a meet in the middle game unless they know the car will sell that week.

I understand, haggling is not a requirement to buy lol. I just find it to be such a waste of time to go back and forth, back and forth.

Like it's a common knowledge you ask a lower price, way lower price, like your example, 11k. The dealer knows when they give another amount, you will just counter it again. You already know your limit, they know their limit...so why not just go straight to 12.5k instead of starting at 11k then readjust it to 12.5k?

Anyways, just a thought. I mean, would they not sell it to you for 12.5k if you didn't start haggling with 11k?

I figure, if they won't sell it to you for 12.5k, it doesn't matter where you started, they still won't budge.
Or are they more likely to give you the car at 12.5k, if you started haggling at 11k, then readjusting, with a final 12.5k, rather than giving one amount and that's it?

I've actually always wondered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance