Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 02:52 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,456,081 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have recently moved to a new state/city and I need to open a checking account, I prefer to open one with a credit union instead of a bank. I have never written bad checks or anything like that, its that my credit score is bad. I just applied for a checking account with a local credit union today and my application was denied. I don't know what to do. I do have a checking account now, but its in the city I just moved from and I'm not able to put any money in it since I moved a couple of hours away. Please help! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 03:02 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
Hi, I have recently moved to a new state/city and I need to open a checking account, I prefer to open one with a credit union instead of a bank. I have never written bad checks or anything like that, its that my credit score is bad. I just applied for a checking account with a local credit union today and my application was denied. I don't know what to do. I do have a checking account now, but its in the city I just moved from and I'm not able to put any money in it since I moved a couple of hours away. Please help! Thanks.
Try another CU or bank.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:01 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
It sounds like you don't have an ATM in your new town ... or perhaps an ATM card?

Can you contact your existing bank about getting one -- Then, you won't really need to change banks. --- unless you are in a really small community-type bank??

Old 03-08-2016, 04:05 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Depends on just how bad...you may have to check with a lot of banks. I know someone who declared bankruptcy and they had a really hard time of it. Guess they figured he'd be bouncing checks....

Old 03-08-2016, 04:06 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,804 times
I opened a checking account and I have bad credit because of a recent bankruptcy after the death of my husband. I was actually denied a job at a purse store because of my bad credit of all things!

Old 03-08-2016, 04:13 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,456,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It sounds like you don't have an ATM in your new town ... or perhaps an ATM card?

Can you contact your existing bank about getting one -- Then, you won't really need to change banks. --- unless you are in a really small community-type bank??
The credit union in my old town doesn't have any ATMs in my new town, it's a local credit union.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:03 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
The credit union in my old town doesn't have any ATMs in my new town, it's a local credit union.

But they might be part of the same market.

My local credit union has 'sister' unions all over the state. Call them and ask and if you have mobile deposit and/or direct deposit you might not need to changed banks. I haven't been inside my bank in years.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:07 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I opened a checking account and I have bad credit because of a recent bankruptcy after the death of my husband. I was actually denied a job at a purse store because of my bad credit of all things!

Lots of things are based on your credit score: Your homeowners ins, your car ins, jobs that involve handling money or merchandise, bank accounts, credit accounts, loans of any kind...etc.

The thought process is that if you're not a trustworthy consumer (unpaid debt) you're not a trustworthy employee/customer/tenant etc. When you have bad credit its usually because you failed to pay your financial obligations; sadly the 'why' doesn't matter.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:32 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
Quote:
Can you bank on line for deposits? Seems like you should keep your current account if it does not have fees associated with it as a back up.

You might try some on line brokerage companies. They normally have free ATM's and deposit on line or by mail.

If you are not ask about both a savings account and checking. The savings account might help.

Guess you have to try all your local options.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
If you have ever left a bank or CU with an overdrawn account, basically owing the institution any money (even just one overdraft fee) you are not likely to be able to open an account anywhere till that is cleared up. It shows up via ChekSystems at just about every financial institution in the nation.

That is more likely the reason for a denial rather than bad credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance