Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 03:06 AM

140 posts, read 167,568 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at credit card offers after not having one for many years. It seems like nowadays they are all about rewards, points, and cash back. It seems like rewards programs at retail establishments usually end up costing your more or are just not worth the trouble. Is it the same with credit cards? Do you really get enough cash back to make it worth the annual fee and other costs? Do you take this into consideration when getting a card? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 03:28 AM

10,052 posts, read 18,101,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty108 View Post
I'm looking at credit card offers after not having one for many years. It seems like nowadays they are all about rewards, points, and cash back. It seems like rewards programs at retail establishments usually end up costing your more or are just not worth the trouble. Is it the same with credit cards? Do you really get enough cash back to make it worth the annual fee and other costs? Do you take this into consideration when getting a card? Thanks.
The card offers should tell you exactly what percentage of "cash back" you'll be getting, AND should tell you the annual fee if there is one. So if there's an annual fee of, say, $20 (I have no idea what they are these days), and you get 1% cash back, you'd need to charge $2,000 a year to "break even" in terms of the annual fee. HOWEVER, if you carry a balance, this equation goes out the window as you'll be paying interest.

I have 2 cash-back cards and neither one has an annual fee, so they don't cost me anything. I use one of those cards for basically everything I can charge (including groceries, heating oil delivery, etc.), usually ranging from a few hundred to a couple thousand per month, BUT I pay it off in full every single month, no exceptions. I HATE paying interest.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:32 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,442,588 times
I run every expense that I can through a credit card. In my experience, it's best to have multiple cards so you're picking the right one to use for each transaction. I make anywhere from 1% to 5% cash back on all transactions. It's a few thousand in money back each year. I haven't had to pay any entry or yearly fees. I haven't paid them any interest.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:49 AM

151 posts, read 195,561 times
Theres bigger things to worry about than getting cash back on cc usage! First step in building wealth!

Losers think cc cash back is a good use of brain power.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:02 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,392,087 times
Just be sure that when signing up for any incentive program, whether it be a cash-back credit card or shopper's reward card for your local grocery, you understand that you are being paid for being a data point. If you're okay with that, go right ahead and sign up.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:49 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,009,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have 2 cash-back cards and neither one has an annual fee, so they don't cost me anything. I use one of those cards for basically everything I can charge (including groceries, heating oil delivery, etc.), usually ranging from a few hundred to a couple thousand per month, BUT I pay it off in full every single month, no exceptions. I HATE paying interest.
Same for me. No annual card fee, no bank account fee, pay for everything with the credit card, pay the account in full every month so never any interest charges. It's a few extra bucks in my checking account every month, which is nice.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:28 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,141,790 times
I thought of using a cashback card to run big purchases that I usually paid for with a check or cash. But then I realized it would put me at a higher per cent of used to available credit and therefore ding my credit score, maybe at an inopportune time. So I just don't do it. But I have known people to put college costs etc. on their cards (you can still pay them off every month) just to get the cash back or rewards.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:02 AM

10,052 posts, read 18,101,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaWeenie View Post
Theres bigger things to worry about than getting cash back on cc usage! First step in building wealth!
Says the person who gave this advice yesterday ...

Quote:
open more credit cards and pay minimums................easy peasy!
As for this ...

Quote:
Losers think cc cash back is a good use of brain power.
... besides being rude, what does that even MEAN? The cash that I get back from my card (with no cost at all to me) doesn't use ANY brain power; it's an inanimate object.

Perhaps you could actually answer the OP's question?

Old 03-29-2016, 07:07 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,631,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Says the person who gave this advice yesterday ...

As for this ...

... besides being rude, what does that even MEAN? The cash that I get back from my card (with no cost at all to me) doesn't use ANY brain power; it's an inanimate object.

Perhaps you could actually answer the OP's question?

Great find

Old 03-29-2016, 07:35 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,247,528 times
It sort of really depends on how much money you spend a year through a CC. If you spend $10,000 and you get back $100 then I would say that is kind of a waster of time. I really think 1% is a waste IMO. I have to spend 100K to get back 1K...yeah not worth my time.

Honestly I dont really like these big banks that issue these cards to anyone. I really don't want to support them for 1% cash back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance