Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 05:38 PM

7 posts, read 4,320 times

Advertisements

I had a dispute with an airline >16 years ago. USAA didn't back me on a credit charge, and that one charge didn't get paid. I have not used the USAA credit card since that time and forget if I closed it officially (think that was the case). The original charge was on the order of ~$350. If I buy USAA auto insurance, will that old charge show up again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 05:41 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,449,267 times
In this day and age of computers, I suspect your name is still in their files.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:49 PM

23,651 posts, read 12,569,566 times
It won't show up on your credit reports, as old as it is it would be illegal to put it back on.
Some creditors blackball people who have unpaid bad debt with them, others don't. All you can do is apply and see what happens.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:27 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,672 times
I believe there is an unknown regulation that states if you pay $1 towards that long ago debt, the whole thing become current and collectible again.

I'm not sure if that's true and have not confirmed it, but my wife mentioned hearing about it from people at work.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:42 AM

16 posts, read 11,413 times
I don't know if the two systems talk to each other.

Gunslinger is describing Reaffirming your debt. Currently your debt is uncollectable becuase of its age (assuming the statute of limitations in your state isn't longer than 16 years!). It is still valid but if anyone attempts to collect on it, you raise the SOL as your defense and that stops them in their tracks. If you pay anything on it then the SOL resets and starts anew. You can also reset the SOL by "acknowledging" your debt which is a nebulous term.

Do you have your heart set on insuring through USAA?

Old 05-17-2016, 02:45 PM

Thanks all. I remember the debt reaffirmation mechanism and will avoid that. I do think the company could access the data, but it seems strange that they would routinely search all that data in such depth. I went online to get a quote. I don't have online account access, and the set-up is requiring me to call in for "security reasons". It's probably for the long interim of inactivity. I don't absolutely need USAA insurance, but I guess I will play the game to see if the debt is ignored.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:04 PM

Ok, for others' reference. They won't write new business with me because of the credit card account. They did not try to get me to affirm the debt (hope they don't claim that and start a spam campaign). I guess, short of solar-magnetic storm erasing the very old debt, USAA and I won't do business.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:58 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elintro View Post
I guess, short of solar-magnetic storm erasing the very old debt, USAA and I won't do business.
Or you pay the $350 and you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance