Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:44 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I will use whatever makes sense for our spending. The Amex simply doesn't make sense for our spending because it has such a paltry earning rate. And the earning rate is only side of the equation; the other side is the redemption rate. Amex has a slew of travel partners but relatively few of those offer good redemption values. Obviously, transferring 60,000 MR points to British Airways in exchange for 20,000 Avios makes little sense. And Amex has no good hotel partners ("good" meaning the redemption rate, not the quality of the hotel itself).

MR points are probably a better fit for the more adventurous international travelers. If you want to travel in premium first class seats to Kuala Lumpur, then Amex's wider collection of travel partners might be more attractive to you (though Singapore Air and the Star Alliance can take you to quite a few exotic locations through a Chase card). Or if you reaaaaallly are insistent on flying Delta domestically. Otherwise, I have to really think hard about how to get max value of out of MR points. You can't even trade them out for cash on a 1:1 basis.
International travelers are key target for the Amex plat card. I figured that was somewhat obvious but maybe not. It zero foreign transaction fee, lounge access, internet plan, companion ticket options specifically on international first and business class flights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 10:48 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I can tell you with the utmost confidence that united isn't always 1.5 cents per point. And you continue to talk about theoretical future value. As you state southwest and their fixed rate doesn't mean much more than 4-5k miles and change on my scenario. It's hard for you to tell me what I find as a good relative value for my rewards
I didn't say that it was always 1.5 cents per point. I said that values tend to be above 1.5 cents per point. You don't have to work very hard to find a 1.5 cent or higher redemption rate on United. And I'm not sure what you mean by "their fixed rate doesn't mean much more than 4-5k miles and change on my scenario." 1.8 > 1.5. Period.

I'm also not telling you what you should "find as good relative value" for your rewards. I'm telling you what is good value and what isn't. It would be like me offering you $500 for a $1,500 hotel credit and you saying "Well, that $500 is better value TO ME."

In the scenario you described, it's sort of similar to paying $10 for one night of takeout compared to paying $40 for a week's worth of groceries. It's less expensive in the short run but definitely more costly in the long run.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 01-26-2017 at 11:07 AM..

Old 01-26-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
International travelers are key target for the Amex plat card. I figured that was somewhat obvious but maybe not. It zero foreign transaction fee, lounge access, internet plan, companion ticket options specifically on international first and business class flights.
International travelers are also a key target for Chase. Chase is clearly targeting Millennial professionals and Millennial professionals tend to do a lot of traveling (including overseas traveling). That's why the CSR also includes a credit for Global Entry/TSA Pre Check. The card also has zero FX fees and lounge access. A lot of cards are now offering those.

I think it would be more accurate to say that the Amex plat card is geared towards business travelers. Unless you work for a company that is zipping you across the map, I don't really see much of a use for this card given the low earning rate.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:56 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,534 times
All depends on the person and type of spending.. Do you travel a lot and need miles? Do you currently have a credit card with a high balance and want to do a transfer? Do you use it for work for hotels and gas and you're looking for rewards?

Out of college I had like $6k in credit card debt.. I got the Chase Slate card which gave me a free balance transfer and 18 months 0% interest to pay off the card.. it was fantastic and saved me hundreds.

I do a lot of traveling for work, often renting cars, filling gas tanks, and staying at hotels. Believe it or not I use a Costco Card because it gives me 4% on my purchases which get reimbursed by the company anyway.. its like a $150 bonus each month good as cash.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
International travelers are also a key target for Chase. Chase is clearly targeting Millennial professionals and Millennial professionals tend to do a lot of traveling (including overseas traveling). That's why the CSR also includes a credit for Global Entry/TSA Pre Check. The card also has zero FX fees and lounge access. A lot of cards are now offering those.

I think it would be more accurate to say that the Amex plat card is geared towards business travelers. Unless you work for a company that is zipping you across the map, I don't really see much of a use for this card given the low earning rate.
The Amex plat covers global entry or precheck. There's a difference between traveling and international travel

Old 01-26-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that it was always 1.5 cents per point. I said that values tend to be above 1.5 cents per point. You don't have to work very hard to find a 1.5 cent or higher redemption rate on United. And I'm not sure what you mean by "their fixed rate doesn't mean much more than 4-5k miles and change on my scenario." 1.8 > 1.5. Period.
1.8 is greater than 1.5 but that doesn't mean a 1.8 option is available or useful for me

Quote:
I'm also not telling you what you should "find as good relative value" for your rewards. I'm telling you what is good value and what isn't. It would be like me offering you $500 for a $1,500 hotel credit and you saying "Well, that $500 is better value TO ME."
You can't tell me what I find a good value to be. If I value keeping 600.00 cash in my pocket and use 40k points you can't tell me that's not a good value simply because I might at a later point be able to redeem those same 40k points for 900.00 hotel stay. 1 I get to keep 600.00 and you don't and 2 your hotel deal might not work for me so said theoretical value is nil

Quote:
In the scenario you described, it's sort of similar to paying $10 for one night of takeout compared to paying $40 for a week's worth of groceries. It's less expensive in the short run but definitely more costly in the long run.
Your comparison is bs. Your 40.00 deal isn't always available, wouldn't always fit my needs and I would be out my 10.00 from my time of initial spend to some future theoretical redemption. It's overly obvious the good value is subjective

Old 01-26-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
The Amex plat covers global entry or precheck. There's a difference between traveling and international travel
I know this. That's why I said the CSR also includes a credit for Global Entry/TSA Pre Check. The CSR also has no FX fees. So these aren't features that distinguish one card from the other. What more or less distinguishes them is the CSR's vastly superior earning power.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
You can't tell me what I find a good value to be. If I value keeping 600.00 cash in my pocket and use 40k points you can't tell me that's not a good value simply because I might at a later point be able to redeem those same 40k points for 900.00 hotel stay.
It's only a good value if that $600 airline ticket is the last flight you ever plan on booking in life. Sure, you get to keep $600 now, but then you end up paying more money in the long run, assuming you intend to travel in the future. It's simply not the most judicious use of financial resources.

But hey, it's your wallet.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:10 PM

251 posts, read 311,706 times
My #1 card is Cap One Venture. It does have a fee but there's a million ways to offset it during the year. Also use Chase Freedom and Discover for their bonus categories and shopping portals. I save up points for each to buy Southwest gift cards on Amazon.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
It's only a good value if that $600 airline ticket is the last flight you ever plan on booking in life.
Or simply for the duration that I have a UR eligible credit card

Quote:
Sure, you get to keep $600 now, but then you end up paying more money in the long run, assuming you intend to travel in the future. It's simply not the most judicious use of financial resources.

But hey, it's your wallet.
Your assumption is that in the future I will be able to spend the points at a better value but that's not guaranteed. Just like I could invest said 600.00 and turn it out better if you want absurdly discuss judicious use of financial resources but again thats not guaranteed now is it? You aren't the determining source of what good value for points is because it's subjective in your what if scenarios. The only way your attempted point would be a fact is if I could redeem said points for cash at a higher ratio than the 1.5 cents each for travel otherwise your examples are noise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance