Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 04:24 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I actually answered your question. More travel and savings.

Really rich people don't avoid traveling once a year because of the things you listed. They may contribute towards advancements via money and time towards conservation but they still travel see Al Gore
Al Gore is rich, but he's not the "patron saint" of climate change awareness. Everyone loves to poke at him and his habits... and rightfully so! You ask anyone who's even just mildly informed of the issue and they'll tell you that having Al Gore as the spokesman and bearer of the sad, scary truths about carbon emissions was a terrible idea that has probably in itself set us back a decade in credible policy action and institutional change.

Here is what a climate scientist has decided. It's very admirable and it seems to be working out for him too.
[url=http://grist.org/climate-energy/a-climate-scientist-who-decided-not-to-fly/]A climate scientist who decided not to fly | Grist[/url]

Okay.. I'm DONE talking about climate change in the personal finance forum. I hope you are too.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Once we got to a place where our basic portfolio could support our retirement, we started looking at diversifying our income streams, diversifying our overall assets and being more aggressive with the remaining savings. For instance, we now have income property, shifted some retirement savings to max out a Roth 401k and are looking at some pre-IPO investing through platforms like Sharespost and EquityZen.

We also started shifting our long term goals as more and more possibilities opened up. Once a basic retirement was becoming more and more secure, we started thinking about what an ideal retirement would look like (splitting time between New York and Los Angeles) and what we wanted to leave for our kids and future grandkids.

Overall, I would say that the scale of our dreams (and planning for those dreams) expanded as more and more options became realistic.
Thank you. You are bringing up an interesting idea.. my husband and I have two different visions of retirement. He would like to spend his time on a coffee plantation in his native Mexico and I would like to stay in the PNW or close to where my American children might end up. A secured retirement could allow for both!

Old 05-05-2016, 04:30 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Al Gore is rich, but he's not the "patron saint" of climate change awareness. Everyone loves to poke at him and his habits... and rightfully so! You ask anyone who's even just mildly informed of the issue and they'll tell you that having Al Gore as the spokesman and bearer of the sad, scary truths about carbon emissions was a terrible idea that has probably in itself set us back a decade in credible policy action and institutional change.

Here is what a climate scientist has decided. It's very admirable and it seems to be working out for him too.
A climate scientist who decided not to fly | Grist

Okay.. I'm DONE talking about climate change in the personal finance forum. I hope you are too.......

That's a poor representation of a person's emissions because like I said you or the scientist choosing not to fly doesn't stop the plan from flying. Meaning while your personal emissions might go down it doesn't change the actual number because the planes still flew the same routes the same amount of time

Old 05-05-2016, 04:51 PM

[

Last edited by flyingsaucermom; 05-05-2016 at 06:11 PM..

Old 05-05-2016, 05:55 PM

79 posts, read 104,245 times
I don't think you realize that making a comment about you saving the world by only flying once a year is going to be the only thing people talk about in this thread. When people say ridiculous things, people respond to them.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:04 PM

[

Old 05-05-2016, 06:13 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Just put in the after tax savings. It's simple. You just pay more taxes.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Become a philanthropist.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:26 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
I forgot to mention that we also went out and bought a lot of insurance, well above and beyond the employer-provided policies, including life insurance, long term disability and umbrella insurance.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:44 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Anything to consider? This is the stuff that the grown ups in my life always dealt with...

I don't feel like I'm much of a grown up.
Your first stop needs to be with a CPA/tax attorney who specializes in expats. You can get yourself into some serious trouble if you don't know the rules and have a plan before you start doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance