Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:08 PM

1,366 posts, read 997,540 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Hope this is in the right place.

About two weeks ago, someone somehow got hold of my bank debit card #, and used it to buy some goods at Walmart.com. The charge never went through (my bank's fraud dept flagged the charge and contacted me immediately), and when I called WMart to alert them, they canceled the order before the items shipped.

My bank canceled the card, sent me a new one, and I have changed my bank acct checking # as a precaution.

So, now the Q is - was this is one-off thing, where someone only got hold of my debit card and used it to charge goods? Or is this part of a larger, identity theft problem?

Was hoping someone would be so kind as to tell me what I need to do to find out.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 09:55 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
So, now the Q is - was this is one-off thing, where someone only got hold of my debit card and used it to charge goods? Or is this part of a larger, identity theft problem?
There's a 99.9999% chance that it's only the former; it's pretty easy to get hold of a credit card or debit card number and use it to make fraudulent purchases. True identity theft is much more difficult. But just to be safe, go to annualcredirreport.com and get a copy of your credit report from all 3 agencies (Transunion, Equifax, and Experian). You want to see if any new lines of credit (credit cards, car loans, mortgages, etc.) have been opened under your name. You can also request a Fraud Alert be placed your file with each agency. (If you're really worried, you can also pay a small fee and have a credit freeze placed on your file with each agency - but be aware that this makes getting a new line of credit more cumbersome. No more instant credit checks by lenders if you go this route! You have to unlock your file using a PIN first if you want a lender to be able to check your credit.)

Old 05-22-2016, 07:37 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,967,037 times
Go here and get a report. Some people don't get them all at one time. They get one different report over the course of 4 months. https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

Old 05-22-2016, 10:10 PM

1,366 posts, read 997,540 times
Thank you for the replies.

If I were to get my CRs from that site, isn't it possible that the person responsible might nor try and open a line of credit for some time? So, even if I were to stagger them, is it possible I might miss something?

Is there anything else I should do, and/or any other place to look?

Thanks again.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:17 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
If I were to get my CRs from that site, isn't it possible that the person responsible might nor try and open a line of credit for some time?
That's what the 90 day fraud alert (and if you're really paranoid, a credit freeze) is intended to prevent.

But remember, all that's needed to make fraudulent purchases with a debit card or credit card is the card number and PIN, both of which are easily obtained by using a card skimmer. True identity theft requires the thief to have your name, date of birth, and Social Security number at a minimum (and your current address is helpful, too). That's a lot harder to obtain! So relax a bit; the odds are extremely high that this is just a simple case of a compromised card, not identity theft.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:32 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Even changing the checking account number was unnecessary.

I never use my bank ATM card as a debit card. It would be too much of a pain to unwind fraudulent charges. It is much easier with a credit card.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:19 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Having your debit or credit card number doesn't turn into identity theft. You have a have more information totally unrelated to that

Old 05-23-2016, 07:43 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,996 times
Those of you who routinely use debit cards need might want to rethink this. Credit cards have federally mandated fraud protection. Debt cards do not. Banks often provide an option for you to buy a separate fraud insurance policy. Some don't offer that.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:47 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
This happened to me and I closed a lot of unused credit cards.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:48 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Those of you who routinely use debit cards need might want to rethink this. Credit cards have federally mandated fraud protection. Debt cards do not. Banks often provide an option for you to buy a separate fraud insurance policy. Some don't offer that.
That's true, I only use them for ATMs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance