Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 08:02 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,192 times

Advertisements

Chase and Wells Fargo, were the 1st 2 majors that started to charge $3 for ATM (if you're not a customer of theirs), surcharges. To the point now, that most ATM's have that for a standard, when it used to be 2 as recently as 4 years ago.
Well, now Chase, apparently, is saying that you will be charged a fee, but they won't say the amount. They probably caught on that enough people were not using their ATM's thanks to the 3 dollar fee, so this is their way now of entrapping people, who don't use their's that often, to withdraw and get their additional 3 dollars this way (after the person says holy bleep).
How is this possible? When was this written in to some law, that says they don't have to tell you what the fee is before you actually withdraw the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 08:30 PM

366 posts, read 493,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Chase and Wells Fargo, were the 1st 2 majors that started to charge $3 for ATM (if you're not a customer of theirs), surcharges. To the point now, that most ATM's have that for a standard, when it used to be 2 as recently as 4 years ago.
Well, now Chase, apparently, is saying that you will be charged a fee, but they won't say the amount. They probably caught on that enough people were not using their ATM's thanks to the 3 dollar fee, so this is their way now of entrapping people, who don't use their's that often, to withdraw and get their additional 3 dollars this way (after the person says holy bleep).
How is this possible? When was this written in to some law, that says they don't have to tell you what the fee is before you actually withdraw the money?
Just as an FYI, you could try what I do. 3-4 times a year I go to the bank and take out some cash. I don't have an ATM card, I don't need one. No fees....life is good.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:04 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,536 times
Bank of America now allows you to conduct cash over drafts at the ATM now. Around 6 months ago I went to withdraw $20 cash but entered an extra 0 for $200. I had around $160 in my checking at the time so the atm said something to the tune of "this I'll be an overdraft transaction subject to additional fees. Press yes to continue".

Old 07-21-2016, 12:32 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
Bank of America now allows you to conduct cash over drafts at the ATM now. Around 6 months ago I went to withdraw $20 cash but entered an extra 0 for $200. I had around $160 in my checking at the time so the atm said something to the tune of "this I'll be an overdraft transaction subject to additional fees. Press yes to continue".
Snake way for them to get even more revenue.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:04 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
I can find no evidence that Chase has any plans to charge any undisclosed fee amounts. Perhaps what you heard is just a rumor started by a disgruntled customer or employee.

Chase had tried to increase their fees for non-customers to $5 five years ago but rolled it back.

We found an easy solution: We do our banking through Fidelity and use a Fidelity Cash Management account. They not only don't charge for using ATMs at other banks (which is good, since they have no ATMs of their own), but they also refund the ATM fee other banks charge non-customers.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:10 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Snake way for them to get even more revenue.
How can this be a *snake way* to get more revenue when you are told you will be in overdraft and asked if you want to continue with the transaction?
If you know you do not have that amount of funds then it is your choice to proceed and pay the overdraft fee.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:15 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,153,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
We found an easy solution: We do our banking through Fidelity and use a Fidelity Cash Management account. They not only don't charge for using ATMs at other banks (which is good, since they have no ATMs of their own), but they also refund the ATM fee other banks charge non-customers.
TD Bank also refunds ATM fees charged by other banks when you open a Premier Checking account (must maintain $3,500 minimum balance).

Old 07-21-2016, 05:45 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
The vast majority of CREDIT UNIONS have an ATM network (Co-Op Network) which allows members FREE ATM transactions at other member credit unions; I have one within easy walking distance.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:18 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
I have trouble generating angst for fees that one doesn't need to pay. You've got to be pretty damn stupid/lazy to be paying ATM fees, it is one of the most easily fee avoided managed banking services.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:18 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I can find no evidence that Chase has any plans to charge any undisclosed fee amounts. Perhaps what you heard is just a rumor started by a disgruntled customer or employee.

Chase had tried to increase their fees for non-customers to $5 five years ago but rolled it back.

I haven't seen anything confirming this either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance