Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 02:20 PM

444 posts, read 324,785 times

Advertisements

I do hope this is the right section for Personal Credit as well.

I am fighting a collection agency. Well.. Not really fighting. But for 8 months, they have been on me about a 5-digit sum of money. I have ignored the letters, seeing what they will next do.

On a whim, I checked one of my credit reports today and they are not showing on it under Negative or Derogatory accounts. So they aren't even on it...

It boggles my mind that they haven't placed it on there. In a good way. And no, I do not think they troll these forums, looking for people that are trying to get over or fight them or anything. I do not think that. But, still, I am guarded. Or I would disclose the name of the company.

They are wanting payment, and offered me settlement etc (I opened two of the letters, just to see) - so they have an account of it somewhere. Some kind of record, etc.

Still.. a part of me wonders: I have the letter all typed up, and ready to go... But should I even send it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 02:25 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Is it past the statute of limitations?

Old 08-03-2016, 02:30 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
part of me says if its not on your credit, ignore it. The other part of me says just pay it. Id go with your gutt

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Go here, they can offer you some advice, hold off on sending the letter because there are laws about how long they can call you etc...

Credit Repair From the Experts at CreditInfo Center

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtagusername View Post

I am fighting a collection agency. Well.. Not really fighting. But for 8 months, they have been on me about a 5-digit sum of money. I have ignored the letters, seeing what they will next do.
Do you owe the money in question?

Old 08-03-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Is it past the statute of limitations?
No. It's from December last year.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Do you owe the money in question?
No, I do not. But, of course, some collection agency thinks I do.

I have explained in my letter that the collection in question really does not have anything to do with me, and worded up a C&D (Ceast and Desist) along with reserving my rights under the FCRA and FDCPA. But it isn't even on my report.

Which is why I have not yet sent out the letter, since why send it if it's not even on there. The way they operate is that it just may then get on there, and thats not a small amount of money. I could buy a Certified Pre-Owned car with a warranty practically for what they want and that is just not going to happen.

And no, they have not demonstrated any kind of proof, as they are required to do so. Therefore, they are very much off the rails, and out of their mind. So..

Old 08-03-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
part of me says if its not on your credit, ignore it. The other part of me says just pay it. Id go with your gutt
With all due respect.. "Just paying it," whatever your moral standard may be, is just stupid. No offense. As well as pretty much the worst thing that you can do.
(How do you know it's legit?
If you knew it wasn't legit, would you pay?
If you knew it was, how do you know paying it is somehow helping you?
If you knew it was, does paid collection report differently than unpaid collection? No, it does not.)

This isn't even my account, they just think it is.

They want a 5-figure amount of money.

I think I will withhold mailing the letter. They sent me one last week saying "They will accept a settlement of (mid-4 figure amount of money) but, as I think about it, that is how they get you, as it is not even on my reports....

I want to send the letter, but I think it will magically appear on my reports if I do. Then I have to fight again. Whereas, there isnt anything to fight right now. This is probably what I will do.

How did I do on thinking out loud?

Old 08-03-2016, 02:52 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
A collection agency is just that (trying to collect money that may be owned to someone else)

A company will buy up any delinquent accounts for pennies on the dollar that is owed.

A person is not obligated to reply to any mail received. NEVER but NEVER reply....those letters do not exist....you never saw them at all.

Even a Certified letter can be REFUSED when delivered by the mailman....he just marks it REFUSED. Those generally want a signed receipt so the sender knows it was received.

At my business once got a hand addressed letter that was Certified to my business from the Midwest and I looked at the envelope which had NO NAME but just a return address. Told the mailman that I had never been to Idaho and know no one there.

Some will say the OP owes the money and should pay while none of are privy to the situation to give an answer either way.....only the OP decision is important.

EDIT: Just saw (dawned on me) that it has NEVER showed on your report. A negative report would show via a Court or Lawsuit decision. A claim or decision has to be made and/or filed. Nothing was said about it being a private or business liability.

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 08-03-2016 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Add info

Old 08-03-2016, 08:26 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
With all due respect.. "Just paying it," whatever your moral standard may be, is just stupid. No offense. As well as pretty much the worst thing that you can do.
(How do you know it's legit?
If you knew it wasn't legit, would you pay?
If you knew it was, how do you know paying it is somehow helping you?
If you knew it was, does paid collection report differently than unpaid collection? No, it does not.)
Gee, you didn't say anything about it "not being legit" in your first post. Sounds like it IS legit and you know it, you just don't want to pay it.

Quote:
This isn't even my account, they just think it is.
Well, THAT would be relatively easy to prove. So again, what you write is, well, not believable -- because if it really WASN'T your account, you would have said so in your very first post -- and you didn't.

Quote:
They want a 5-figure amount of money.

I think I will withhold mailing the letter. They sent me one last week saying "They will accept a settlement of (mid-4 figure amount of money) but, as I think about it, that is how they get you, as it is not even on my reports....

I want to send the letter, but I think it will magically appear on my reports if I do. Then I have to fight again. Whereas, there isnt anything to fight right now. This is probably what I will do.

How did I do on thinking out loud?
If it's relatively recent (as 12/15 is), it may simply not have shown up on your credit yet. It will.

If it's not yours, fight it. (But I don't believe you at this point.)

If it IS yours, pay the darn thing. Sheesh!

Why don't you give us, you know, the REAL story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance