Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 03:38 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,337 times

Advertisements

i've only ever had a secured credit card, nothing else, hence no rewards, but no annual fees nor ridiculous interest either. that's why i'm always curious when people say they say they have credit cards that have no annual fees but have decent rewards. which cards have such? do they have ridiculous interest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 05:01 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
I like my Discover card.

"Ridiculous interest" should not be a concern, as you should always pay it in full every month.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:49 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,105 times
My Chase freedom has 1% cash back on everything, 2% travel, 3% gas and groceries. There is no annual fee and my interest rate is 8.99%. I have 3 other cards that all have similar rewards and no annual fee. I own zero cards with annual fees.

Another good card is the Discover IT card and Amex blue cash. Both similar rewards as above with no annual fees. The interest rates will be 12-17% based on your credit worthiness and should drop after a few years of payment history.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:00 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
If you pay interest you are most likely going to lose the rewards game. What kind of rewards are you looking for? Do you travel? Do you want cash back?

Old 09-04-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
My Chase freedom has 1% cash back on everything, 2% travel, 3% gas and groceries. There is no annual fee and my interest rate is 8.99%. I have 3 other cards that all have similar rewards and no annual fee. I own zero cards with annual fees.

Another good card is the Discover IT card and Amex blue cash. Both similar rewards as above with no annual fees. The interest rates will be 12-17% based on your credit worthiness and should drop after a few years of payment history.

I now have two cards with 450.00 annual fees, I will however most likely drop the Amex platinum mid 2017. Fees aren't necessarily a bad thing either it just depends on what you are getting and how much that is worth to you

Old 09-04-2016, 09:11 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I now have two cards with 450.00 annual fees, I will however most likely drop the Amex platinum mid 2017. Fees aren't necessarily a bad thing either it just depends on what you are getting and how much that is worth to you
I know. I have nothing against annual fee cards. They don't provide value to myself but for those that travel and spend copious amounts of money they can and do provide great value above the annual fee. The OP asked about cards with no annual fees so I provided three great examples of rewards cards with no annual fees.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
I know. I have nothing against annual fee cards. They don't provide value to myself but for those that travel and spend copious amounts of money they can and do provide great value above the annual fee. The OP asked about cards with no annual fees so I provided three great examples of rewards cards with no annual fees.
I understand why you'd make the recommendations you did however I feel just because so many a fee adverse doesn't mean they might actually get better value out of a fee card depending on their spending habits

Old 09-04-2016, 09:32 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Amazon card from Chase paired with Chase Freedom is nice if you buy a lot from Amazon.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:06 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i've only ever had a secured credit card, nothing else, hence no rewards, but no annual fees nor ridiculous interest either. that's why i'm always curious when people say they say they have credit cards that have no annual fees but have decent rewards. which cards have such? do they have ridiculous interest?
My regular card is the Citi Double Cash MasterCard. No annual fee, 2% cash back on everything. I don't know what the interest rate is, but that doesn't matter. There is a grace period. As long as you pay your entire balance in full before the due date each month, there is no interest charge.

I have redeemed over $700 in credit card rewards so far this year. It's not all from the Citi Double Cash card. I have done two $100 sign up bonuses this year, and I occasionally will use a different card. Some cards have rotating 5% categories, and my AmEx card features "offers" which sometimes are worthwhile.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:40 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If you pay interest you are most likely going to lose the rewards game. What kind of rewards are you looking for? Do you travel? Do you want cash back?
most preferably cash back since i don't travel a lot. groceries, gas, clothing, etc.

i buy a lot from amazon too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance