Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 12:24 PM

390 posts, read 367,001 times

Advertisements

Just went under contract on a house/property that we love. Its well within our budget and actually a bit below our already fairly conservative goal. One of the more modest homes in a VERY ritzy neighborhood. We'll be paying ~23% of net for PITI+HOA initially since we are only putting 10% down (debated waiting to save 20%, but I think its the better financial move to lock in now rather than risk future rate hikes - we have the option to recast if we decide we want to lower our monthly payments down the line). We put a big chunk into retirement already (15% with a 10% match) so that 23% is even better than it looks. Even with a VERY liberal budget accounting for increased costs of home ownership, we're not even in the ballpark of needing to spend what we earn. So financially, I think we did pretty well.

The part that scares me - we're in an area that is expanding rapidly and prices are soaring. Except we're not buying in that area. We're the sort to prioritize space and tranquility. We're getting a mid-large plot of land about 25 minutes outside downtown (we're in a small city, so 25 minutes is considered "really far"). We love the house and the property. My concern is that from a "location, location, location" standpoint - this was a bad move. IF we decided to move down the line - we may be missing the opportunity to get good appreciation. No kids right now, but if we did have 1-2, the school district is mediocre for elementary/middle school and downright terrible for high school. Privates are an option, but obviously a big added expense. We could get sick of the commute. Our jobs are quite stable/secure (at least to the extent any job is these days), but obviously anything can happen.

Are these just normal "is this the right move" jitters before making such a major purchase or are we doing something really stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 01:45 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,086,119 times
Sounds like normal jitters to me. As long as you plan on staying there for a while then it's fine and I wouldn't worry about whether or not it's a good "investment". If you're thinking you might end up moving again in the next few years then it's more worth considering.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:46 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,676,690 times
I think what you are experiencing is normal. Many home buyers question their action when they go under contract. Sounds like you've done the math and the numbers are where you want, and expect, for them to be.. that's good!

You don't have kids yet and even if you started down that path *right* now you will have 5-6 years (starting school year of 2023 if they are born after Sept 1 in many districts) before needing to make a decision about schools.

It's hard to predict what the market will be like five years out. Five years ago we were at the bottom of our housing market.. it was a great time to buy (and we did!).

Congrats and enjoy!

Old 01-06-2017, 03:50 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,775,561 times
I would and have done so many times.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:10 PM

483 posts, read 418,885 times
No.
Not going to be miserably tied to a product that isn't financially sound. Not only it cost money, money.. Time too is money.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:11 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,121,173 times
The only "bad" part about this is the school system, if nothing else, you could probably rent the place out if you want to move and can't sell.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:12 PM

61,794 posts, read 87,269,132 times
No. Love comes and love goes. A bad investment usually stays with your longer...

Old 01-06-2017, 04:14 PM

711 posts, read 689,249 times
What you've described doesn't really sound like a bad investment to me. You've simply decided on a house that will provide returns in satisfaction in your home and surroundings.

Buying a house that you don't like in a location that isn't a priority and stretching your finances to the limit to do so... that sounds like a bad investment!

Old 01-07-2017, 01:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,480,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaneats View Post
No.
Not going to be miserably tied to a product that isn't financially sound. Not only it cost money, money.. Time too is money.

I think any purchase decision must be compared with alternatives, e.g. renting as well as other purchase options. Renting essentially ties you to a product (rental housing) that tends to just go up and up faster than a mortgage payment would.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:58 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,775,561 times
I didn't read the bad school part. I wouldn't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance