Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 12:21 PM

7 posts, read 5,291 times

Advertisements

First off if I make 30-35g and live on my own what do I pay for along with electricity, gas, water etc? What else do I pay for and can somebody give me an approximation of how much if I make 30-35g a year? I'm trying to save money for trips and if I have a kid too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 12:48 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
Rent, sales tax, income taxes, food, transportation (auto?), renters insurance, auto insurance?, clothing, eating out, hair cutting.

Start writing down all your expenses to get an idea of what you are spending. Also write down everything you use and someone else pays for.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
It depends on where you live. A one bedroom apartment in a high COL city may be $2,000 to $3,000 a month or more, $1,000 or $1500 a month in a medium COL city and $500 a month in a low COL city. Even in the same city the rents can vary dramatically depending if you want to live in a "nice" area or a high crime, run down area.

Many places have you pay the first months rent, the last months rent and a security deposit when you sign a lease. And, the security deposit can vary widely from a few hundred dollars to a thousand dollars (maybe even more).

And, don't forget all of little things like renters insurance and that your car insurance probably will go up if you move away from home.

Hubby and I used to live in a three bedroom house with a full basement and a two car garage. We paid the same amount for electricity & gas & water in that place as in our much, much, much smaller two bedroom apartment (I am still wondering how that could happen). And, of course, cable/internet/telephone was the same price, too.

IMHO, talk to all of your friends who rent. They can give you information about the costs in your city.

Good luck.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Rent, sales tax, income taxes, food, transportation (auto?), renters insurance, auto insurance?, clothing, eating out, hair cutting.

Start writing down all your expenses to get an idea of what you are spending. Also write down everything you use and someone else pays for.
Well from the outside looking in I ask but to you how reasonable is it to save let's say $300-$400 a month?

Old 02-11-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
It depends on where you live. A one bedroom apartment in a high COL city may be $2,000 to $3,000 a month or more, $1,000 or $1500 a month in a medium COL city and $500 a month in a low COL city. Even in the same city the rents can vary dramatically depending if you want to live in a "nice" area or a high crime, run down area.

Many places have you pay the first months rent, the last months rent and a security deposit when you sign a lease. And, the security deposit can vary widely from a few hundred dollars to a thousand dollars (maybe even more).

And, don't forget all of little things like renters insurance and that your car insurance probably will go up if you move away from home.

Hubby and I used to live in a three bedroom house with a full basement and a two car garage. We paid the same amount for electricity & gas & water in that place as in our much, much, much smaller two bedroom apartment (I am still wondering how that could happen). And, of course, cable/internet/telephone was the same price, too.

IMHO, talk to all of your friends who rent. They can give you information about the costs in your city.

Good luck.
I live in Modesto. What's COL? Cost of living? Well from the outside looking in I ask but to you how reasonable is it to save let's say $400-$500 a month?

Old 02-11-2017, 01:25 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
bigvuth:

1} if you want to save $3-400/m, PAY YOURSELF FIRST. Save that FIRST, {after taxes are taken out} then budget what you have left.

you can search on CL {Craigslist} for cost of an apartment in the part of town that is reasonably priced, safe and close to work. then construct your budget about in this manner {with your after tax take home money} [and let's assume you get paid weekly, if you get paid biweekly (every other week), double the amounts needed for weekly]:

1} pay yourself..you want to save $400/m so budget $100/w out of your take home and SOCK IT AWAY In savings. {you WILL need savings for more than having a kid...you will need an emergency fund = to about 6-9 pay, plus savings for any big purchase you want [car, house], Plus savings for RETIREMENT

2} rent payment/4 {future mortgage?}

3} transportation {car payment, bus fare, train fare, cab fare, gasoline,oil, registration, taxes, maintenance etc.}

5} utilities {if not included in your rent} [nat gas, electric, water sewer, garbage collection]

6} Food

8}clothing

9} entertainment and misc. {misc. should include TP, kleenex, shampoo, dish soap laundry soap, etc}

Financial advisers recommend and time has borne them out to be fairly true:

A} save 10-20% of your pay for savings

B} keep your housing expense to no more than 20-22-25% of your pay TOPS, lower is better {that really should include utilities too}

C} keep your transportation costs to about no more than 12-15% of your pay

IF you keep those at the MAXIMUM percentages for those 3 items listed just above, that will leave you 40% left over for clothes, entertainment and misc. and what ever else crops up.

you DON'T HAVE TO SPEND ALL YOU MAKE. if you have some left over at the end of the month, sock it away in savings.

If you live cheaply now {say rent a room}, you can save big for the future {marriage, retirement, kids}, then you will little problems affording those future things. If you live tight now {big expensive apartment, big flashy expensive car}, you may NEVER be able to afford those things! {contrary to popular belief , the flashy expensive sports car may get laid, but won't necessarily get you a spouse}

Savings: set up separate accounts for: emergency fund {keep cash liquid}; retirement fund {investable as well as some in cash and bonds}; Car fund; house fund; kid fund, and lastly, "fun fund" [vacations]

Choose wisely, my child, and all other things will fall into place.

I tell you this based on personal experience, and what a myriad of financial advisers have successfully advised over the years.

$35K can Sound like lots of money, but it can go through your fingers like water if you are not careful!

Old 02-12-2017, 05:19 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
big expenses are rent,car, cell phone, cable TV for most people.

avoid buying a new car, subscribing to cable TV and go to a prepaid cellphone.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:51 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
If you have no record of credit with other power and phone companies, then you may have to leave a deposit to get power or a home phone turned on when renting a home or apartment. Cable may be the same but many condos come with cable, expenses will be what you make them, so electric on a one bedroom can be inexpensive if you keep the a/c thermostat up or the a/c off when not using it. Water can cost $100 a month and garbage pickup usually will be a cost in apartments or homes but is included in most condos, again your choice where you live, should you pick a condo to rent, then cable, water, garbage and even no need for insurance if you do not have visitors and the landlord does not reuqire it, lots of savings built into the one condo monthly fee, that may likely be included in your monthly rent.

Florida and some other states have no income tax, so one less thing to worry about and with the sales tax at 6% in Broward, that is less expensive than many other areas in the country and even other parts of Florida, so look for low sales tax too in order to keep costs down.

Last edited by Mr. Lee; 02-12-2017 at 08:21 AM..

Old 02-12-2017, 07:12 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvuth View Post
First off if I make 30-35g and live on my own what do I pay for along with electricity, gas, water etc? What else do I pay for and can somebody give me an approximation of how much if I make 30-35g a year? I'm trying to save money for trips and if I have a kid too.
Where will you live? Also, it's a lot cheaper if you rent a room than if you rent an apartment.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:31 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Will you be moving completely on your own, or will you have roommates? On 30-35k I would say that you would be hard-pressed to save $500/month without roommates. Your rent will likely include heat, hot water and garbage. You would still be responsible for electric, cable/internet, phone, groceries, gasoline, car insurance and renter's insurance. Figure out what your net monthly pay would be and then figure out what you are paying for these other expenses. If you can rent a room or have roommates it would be a lot easier. Look on Zillow in your area to see what the rates for apartments are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance