Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:33 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguy01 View Post
Severe credit card debt is keeping a balance over $0. I do like that you can laugh your incompetence away.

My "incompetence"? Wow.......
You don't know me and thank goodness I don't know you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
DO NOT get rid of all your credit cards—you may need one later for a rental car, an airplane ticket, or an emergency where you don't have the immediate funds to cover a cost.

You can also talk to your CC companies and see if they will offer you an incentive rate for being a customer, whether it's lower interest for a while, or something similar. Call and throw some (fictional) weight around and ask to speak to the customer retention department. Or do a couple of balance transfers—those typically have great rates for a while, and you can put some of your card on several cards and pay them off with a divide-and-conquer strategy.
I did actually call the CC companies first but all they would offer is a lower rate for 6 to 7 months. So ridiculous. Oh well! I've got it worked out. Thank you for the advice!!

Old 04-17-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, I was in a similar situation many years ago, but was finally able to get out of it, and for years now I have paid off all credit cards IN FULL every single month. Yes, every.single.month. I HATE paying credit card interest!

What really helped me was making a detailed budget AND especially putting credit card interest as a separate line item. When I saw that some months I was paying literally a few hundred dollars in interest on my credit cards, that finally knocked some sense into me. I mean, seriously, who wants to pay hundreds of dollars for basically NOTHING?!!

These days I use one credit card for basically everything (since I get cash back), but as soon as I charge something on it, I add it to my checking account notes in my word-processing program and enter a payment of that amount. (EG for Capital One I might have "Hannaford $98, Target $31," etc. -- as soon as I charge, I put money aside to pay for that item and reduce my "available balance" accordingly.) This means I am basically never buying things I will have to pay off "over time," and most importantly, it means that when it's time to pay Capital One (or whatever), the money is there, put aside for that purpose.

It takes a lot of discipline at first, but I've been doing it for so long now that it's pretty much second nature. Oh, I DID take out a loan to pay for a new car back in 2009, but it was a 5-year loan that I paid off in about 2 years 9 months (and the interest rate was really low -- like 2% IIRC). My credit score is now in the 800s. You CAN do it.

Good luck!
Wow Karen!! That is awesome!! I am going to do the same.....I know I can do it!!! Thank you SO MUCH for the positive advice!! Very nice of you to help me

Old 04-17-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
If you want your score to go up, just cut the cards up, so you could have one replaced if you simply had to and enjoy the credit boost if you don't. Unless this is a matter of necessity due to lack of discipline.
What the other poster said is also part of the reason. They don't know yet what you are going to do with that new credit. They are seeing you temporarily as a higher risk until proven otherwise.

I had to tell my mortgage lender WHY I asked for credit line increases. My answer was to improve my score. And I went on to explain yes I know that sounds backwards right before applying with y'all, but I didn't think I'd be doing this now!

Anyway, getting new credit does temp lower your score until some time goes by and it's not used or used very responsibly.

I hear you Jencam and I will take that to heart.
Thank you very much.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:21 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,992 times
balance transfer to chase slate card. Think its 18 months zero interest with 0% transfer fee

Old 04-18-2017, 06:40 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I know about the lender but also it does affect your score too. Or perhaps I'm thinking of the inquiry. I guess so because if cc issuers give us more credit I don't think our scores go down.

Or one of mine is giving me a whole new card. Taking me from a store card to a mastercard.
Getting a credit line increase on an existing card can only help your credit score unless the lender required a hard pull (resulting in an inquiry) on your credit report to give it to you. Even then, if you carry or allow any balance to report, the credit limit increase will help your score. Period.

Never request a credit limit increase that requires a hard pull and you will be golden.

Remember this only applies to limit increases on EXISTING cards. Adding new accounts will definitely lower your score as they affect your average of accounts. Don't apply for anything that will become a new account or result in an inquiry when preparing for a mortgage or car loan.

Along those lines, a lender switching you from a store card to a Mastercard results in a closed store card account and a new Mastercard account on your credit report. Thus a new account and a lower average age of account. Thus lower score.

Last edited by clutchcargo777; 04-18-2017 at 06:50 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 06:46 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
What the other poster said is also part of the reason. They don't know yet what you are going to do with that new credit. They are seeing you temporarily as a higher risk until proven otherwise.

I had to tell my mortgage lender WHY I asked for credit line increases. My answer was to improve my score. And I went on to explain yes I know that sounds backwards right before applying with y'all, but I didn't think I'd be doing this now!

Anyway, getting new credit does temp lower your score until some time goes by and it's not used or used very responsibly.

I hear you Jencam and I will take that to heart.
Thank you very much.
Now you are moving the goalposts. Getting NEW credit accounts definitely has a negative effect on your scores. The "time going by" you refer to is the average age of accounts increasing.

Getting an increase on an EXISTING card account (as long as it doesn't require an inquiry) does not affect average age as there is no new account dragging that down.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:39 AM

712 posts, read 554,854 times
I refuse to pay interest in credit card debt. I weekly get offers for no interest for so many months. I balance transfer my debt and when that offer runs out transfer it to another card. I have been able to pay down my debt and still afford to live month to month.

From discover card website my credit score is
your FICO® Credit Score is 833

It does get dinged slightly opening a new card but goes back up. My score is good enough that the slight ding isn't a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguy01 View Post
Severe credit card debt is keeping a balance over $0. I do like that you can laugh your incompetence away.
I have a balance on my discover card that is running a special of zero percent interest for 18 months that hasn't hurt my score at all and I just pay the minimum payment a month. So this isn't true and this post is unkind

Old 04-18-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
balance transfer to chase slate card. Think its 18 months zero interest with 0% transfer fee

I will look into that for sure!! Thanks!!

Old 04-18-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
I refuse to pay interest in credit card debt. I weekly get offers for no interest for so many months. I balance transfer my debt and when that offer runs out transfer it to another card. I have been able to pay down my debt and still afford to live month to month.

From discover card website my credit score is
your FICO® Credit Score is 833

It does get dinged slightly opening a new card but goes back up. My score is good enough that the slight ding isn't a big deal.

I have a balance on my discover card that is running a special of zero percent interest for 18 months that hasn't hurt my score at all and I just pay the minimum payment a month. So this isn't true and this post is unkind
Thank you Anitak1982
I agree with everything you said!

and the "unkind" poster does not surprise me.

Have a great Day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance