Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 11:27 AM

6,759 posts, read 5,058,954 times

Advertisements

I'd move on, personally. If I'm going to the shop for unscheduled maintenance more than once or twice a year, that's it. And no more than $1000/yr average.

With respect to ignition problems, I've concluded that the first thing to do is get a new battery. It's cheap and they don't last forever anyway. I buy them at Costco and their warranty is unbelievable. Some batteries are just defective, so don't assume it's okay only based on its age.

Last edited by hikernut; 05-12-2017 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 11:58 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I'd move on, personally. If I'm going to the shop for unscheduled maintenance more than once or twice a year, that's it. And no more than $1000/yr average.

With respect to ignition problems, I've concluded that the first thing to do is get a new battery. It's cheap and they don't last forever anyway. I buy them at Costco and their warranty is unbelievable. Some batteries are just defective, so don't assume it's okay only based on its age.
Thanks. I wasn't having ignition problems though. I noticed when sitting it traffic, the car lights would dim. When my foot was on the gas, they brightened. When I googled what it could be, everything indicated alternator. It turned out the battery was low. Never had an issue with the engine turning over though.

You know, there is a disadvantage to buying a new car aside from money. Since it would be under warranty, I'd need to bring it to a dealership to be fixed. There are no dealerships near me. The closest one is Chevy and it's a good 40 minute drive in traffic. I had to bring my current car there for the airbag recall and it was a nice place, but packed and I waited a full day before they got around to my car (and then didn't have the pet anyway). So any repairs or recalls will be a huge pain. At least the service stations near me are close.

But as it is, my car is in the shop on an average of once every two months with some random wear issue. So that is a pain too. This battery issue cost me an entire Saturday (dropped the car off at 7am and it wasn't done until 3pm). They were turning people away who were trying to do walk in repairs.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
Thanks. I wasn't having ignition problems though. I noticed when sitting it traffic, the car lights would dim. When my foot was on the gas, they brightened. When I googled what it could be, everything indicated alternator. It turned out the battery was low. Never had an issue with the engine turning over though.

You know, there is a disadvantage to buying a new car aside from money. Since it would be under warranty, I'd need to bring it to a dealership to be fixed. There are no dealerships near me. The closest one is Chevy and it's a good 40 minute drive in traffic. I had to bring my current car there for the airbag recall and it was a nice place, but packed and I waited a full day before they got around to my car (and then didn't have the pet anyway). So any repairs or recalls will be a huge pain. At least the service stations near me are close.

But as it is, my car is in the shop on an average of once every two months with some random wear issue. So that is a pain too. This battery issue cost me an entire Saturday (dropped the car off at 7am and it wasn't done until 3pm). They were turning people away who were trying to do walk in repairs.

I hear your pain. I've owned a couple of unreliable cars in the past, and it's no fun at all. My current vehicle has been really so good, and a very reasonable overall ownership cost. It's a Honda Accord that I bought new in 2000. There were absolutely zero problems for the first 10-12 years. All I did was the regular maintenance, and replace things that in any event need replacing like tires, belts, batteries, brakes. All of that can be scheduled, and I have a mechanic who is very good and very reasonably priced. In the past 5 years or so it's been about one issue per year... two window regulators, a new starter motor, and a failed sensor in a seat belt.

I absolutely detest car dealers, so I understand your comment about needing to take the car there for regular maintenance. We are due for another car, and I am sold on getting the most reliable vehicle I can find that meets our needs, and buying it new. In the long run it's cheap and less frustrating, in my experience anyway. I'm not a "car person", and I'm fine owning something boring as long as it does the job at a reasonable cost.

Last edited by hikernut; 05-12-2017 at 12:56 PM..

Old 05-12-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Well, okay. Any sort of electrical problems I guess, not just ignition.

A few months ago my car started acting up on a rainy day. Hard to start, but it didn't show any of the symptoms I would expect from a bad battery. I had it in my head that it was linked to moisture, and the battery was not even two years old. Took it in to the mechanic... bad battery! Went to Costco for a free replacement under warranty.

Last edited by hikernut; 05-12-2017 at 01:04 PM..

Old 05-12-2017, 12:58 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
A bunch of stuff is REGULAR maintenance that any car, new or old would have - tires and a battery? Really? Those should not count...maybe even brakes as those certainly wear out quite reliably as well.

Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into a car payment.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:53 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
I listened. Maybe you missed my post where I talked about calling around (for the same repair I just had done, battery replacement). Other shops in the area were about the same price. The cheapest place was an auto parts store. They would have done the testing for free, but the battery was $204.99 for the exact same part. And I don't know if that included cleaning the cables and installing new battery pads. They also don't do most repairs, just basic things like oil changes and such. I'll keep them in mind for the simple things, but they won't replace a broken water pump or something like that. I also can't make an appointment (which stinks sine I'd like to plan around work).

Other actual shops in the area charged a few dollars more to a few dollars less than the place I went to. One place wouldn't give me a quote on anything but the part.

I googled the average cost of battery replacement. $250 is on the high end of average (which doesn't surprise me because I live in a high cost of living area). But it still falls in the average range for the US. Average price is $183-$303 parts and labor). I live in one of the most expensive places to live in the US, I think what others here are seeing as bilking is part of the reality of where I live (and part of why I plan to leave in five years).

Edit: Just googled it. I live in the second most expensive place in the US for car parts and labor costs.

I know the breaks and tires are good now, but I'm thinking about other repairs in the future (transmission, fuel pump, etc). I looked up how much those things cost to fix on my model of car. It's not too high, but if it's in the shop every other month it will add up. I could learn a few basics (oil change is out of the question). I looked it up and it will cost me more to dispose of the oil than just letting the shop do it. But I think I can do filters and maybe even a hose or two based on videos I watched.

For the moment I'm still going to wait and see. I'm planning for a replacement in November and putting off optional fixes like the windshield and the lights in the radio being out. If the car seems to settle down into not needing repairs, I won't replace it. If it ends up costing me $200+ a month still, I'll think about it. Something major to fix, I think I will pull the plug.

I missed nothing. I DID see where your willfully ignoring the facts.
(Ignorance is nothing to be ashamed about, I am ignorant of many things. Willful ignorance is another thing entirely)

I HATE cutting grass and working on cars.
I also Typically BUY my cars when they are where yours are now....
So give me some credit fir having a clue please.

That "new to me" car I mentioned (got at 124k) sputtered a bit, so I took it to auto zone or Orilies (you have SOME auto parts store near you which will do this)
Computer assured me it wasn't the battery or starter.
If it had been I would of been under no obligation to buy.

Wallmart and many other places will install for free, typically cleaning the connectors for free if you can't spend 2 min with a wire brush.

Since HATE working on cars I pull up to wallmart with my own oil/filter and they do it for $11.
Completely worthit for me.

Your getting screwed by your mecanic and your ignorance.
It's also very obvious to me and others you "just want a new car"
If that's the case: fine, but don't pretend it's for economic reasons. Too many people GET a car from people like you, put a few hundred into it and drive it for years afterwards without issues for us to buy it.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
A bunch of stuff is REGULAR maintenance that any car, new or old would have - tires and a battery? Really? Those should not count...maybe even brakes as those certainly wear out quite reliably as well.

Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into a car payment.
I suppose I am trying to talk myself into a car payment. I don't want one, I always said I will "drive it until it dies," but I am starting to wonder about my current car and if that's really a sound strategy.

Getting off the topic of how much maintenance costs near me (we kind of went off on a tangent). The issue with my car is that it's been pretty much repair free for 13 years. I mean literally, nothing but oil changes, fluid changes, filters, etc. This is a good thing, but soon things are going to need to be replaced and it seems to have started. Is it worth it to put a lot of money and life support into an older car? The average car lasts for 11.4 years. I am past that point now. Am I on borrowed time?

I wonder if there is a tipping point where it makes better sense to replace vs putting money into upgrading everything on an old car. Very few have answered that and instead focused on how much repairs are costing me (and I was sidetracked by that too). Aside from cost, there is also the hassle of getting things fixed and the insecurity of driving alone at night in a car you may not trust 100%. Other repairs I think I can reasonably expect soon include: Timing chain, hoses, fuel pump, water pump, rear brakes, transmission.

There are non-essential repairs I would like to make: new windshield (although this might end up being a necessity if it doesn't pass inspection), broken radio, the low tire pressure indicator is broken, broken seat belt buckle (it still buckles, it just falls under the seat when I take if off and I have to dig it out to put it on), the tail pipe is lose, the paint is chipping off the hood (how soon before it starts to rust?)

There is no big repair looming, just a lot of little things.

The nice things about having the old car are no car payment and lower property taxes. Plus, I park it anywhere and don't care (the only spot left at the grocery store is the one next to the cart return? Who cares, what's a few more dings).

I like having the old car, but I do wonder if there is a point to stop putting money into it and that's what I am trying to figure out. The car itself is worth about $1,500. Some say if the car is costing you more to repair than it's worth, get rid of it. It's costing me $220 a month in repairs (new car payment is about $100 more a month). Some say that when the costs are the same, replace the car. I even had one person tell me to replace cars after 150,000 miles because they just become headaches after that point.

So far it looks like the consensus is keeping it and repairing it is the best thing to do (which is what I always thought too). But at what point does one say, "enough, time to replace?" Some have answered that and for that I'm greatful. It's given me a lot to think about.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I missed nothing. I DID see where your willfully ignoring the facts.
(Ignorance is nothing to be ashamed about, I am ignorant of many things. Willful ignorance is another thing entirely)

I HATE cutting grass and working on cars.
I also Typically BUY my cars when they are where yours are now....
So give me some credit fir having a clue please.

That "new to me" car I mentioned (got at 124k) sputtered a bit, so I took it to auto zone or Orilies (you have SOME auto parts store near you which will do this)
Computer assured me it wasn't the battery or starter.
If it had been I would of been under no obligation to buy.

Wallmart and many other places will install for free, typically cleaning the connectors for free if you can't spend 2 min with a wire brush.

Since HATE working on cars I pull up to wallmart with my own oil/filter and they do it for $11.
Completely worthit for me.

Your getting screwed by your mecanic and your ignorance.
It's also very obvious to me and others you "just want a new car"
If that's the case: fine, but don't pretend it's for economic reasons. Too many people GET a car from people like you, put a few hundred into it and drive it for years afterwards without issues for us to buy it.
What am I ignoring? I did price around when folks recommended it. I was given similar quotes to what I paid at the mechanic I go to now. I looked into self repairs when it was mentioned. I think I could do filters and hoses pretty easily. I live in an area where there is little demand for auto parts (people don't work on their own cars) and they have a lot of money. Someone told me to talk to housekeeps and other blue collar people. They don't live here for the most part (unless they have a spouse with a higher paying job), they live out in the exburbs. That's a bit far to go when the car is giving me problems.

There are two auto parts stores (same chain) near me, but they aren't cheap. I called one of them. It would have been cheaper to do the battery there ($45 less). But they aren't a full service shop. I will keep them in mind for simple things though. And there is no Walmart nearby and the Costco doesn't sell auto stuff or have a shop either.

So let's just step away from prices for a bit and believe me when I tell you that everything from car repairs to a gallon of milk cost more where I live. I want to figure out when is that tipping point when repairs are no longer worth the hassle (as well as cost). That's what I'm asking.

Although I do have to ask, would you buy a car with the mileage mine has on it knowing it was almost all city driving though? Would you buy something like a 13 year old taxi with 150k on it? That's the kind of driving my car has done. I wonder if some of the posters here are overlooking that. Highway miles are a lot easier on a car.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
. This is a good thing, but soon things are going to need to be replaced and it seems to have started. Is it worth it to put a lot of money and life support into an older car? The average car lasts for 11.4 years. I am past that point now. Am I on borrowed time?

I wonder if there is a tipping point where it makes better sense to replace vs putting money into upgrading everything on an old car. Very few have answered that and instead focused on how much repairs are costing me (and I was sidetracked by that too). Aside from cost, there is also the hassle of getting things fixed and the insecurity of driving alone at night in a car you may not trust 100%. Other repairs I think I can reasonably expect soon include: Timing chain, hoses, fuel pump, water pump, rear brakes, transmission.

There are non-essential repairs I would like to make: new windshield (although this might end up being a necessity if it doesn't pass inspection), broken radio, the low tire pressure indicator is broken, broken seat belt buckle (it still buckles, it just falls under the seat when I take if off and I have to dig it out to put it on), the tail pipe is lose, the paint is chipping off the hood (how soon before it starts to rust?)

There is no big repair looming, just a lot of little things.

The nice things about having the old car are no car payment and lower property taxes. Plus, I park it anywhere and don't care (the only spot left at the grocery store is the one next to the cart return? Who cares, what's a few more dings).

I like having the old car, but I do wonder if there is a point to stop putting money into it and that's what I am trying to figure out. The car itself is worth about $1,500. Some say if the car is costing you more to repair than it's worth, get rid of it. It's costing me $220 a month in repairs (new car payment is about $100 more a month). Some say that when the costs are the same, replace the car. I even had one person tell me to replace cars after 150,000 miles because they just become headaches after that point.

So far it looks like the consensus is keeping it and repairing it is the best thing to do (which is what I always thought too). But at what point does one say, "enough, time to replace?" Some have answered that and for that I'm greatful. It's given me a lot to think about.

There is a point.

...but your nowhere near it.

Go get some wire, tailpipe fixed. Stick a $3 tire pressure Guage in your glove box etc.

My 2 "daily drivers" are a 2000 and a 2003, they run fine and I anticipate driving them for quite a few years to come.

Yes, you are at the point where you might need to spend a little money.

....no where NEAR what you are spending (already addressed) however, and nowhere near the cost of a new car.

....it would be a good idea to start "paying your savings" a monthly car payment though. (If your not already)

I look at it like this:

1. It's reliable
2. If it's not, what is needed (and I mean needed, not the seatbelt anoys you )
3. Once it's fixed, what kind of reliable service life can I expect.
4. Compare that to the costs.
There ARE times it makes sense to put a $2k transmition in a $1,500 car.

.....when that $3500 car will run longer than $3500 in payments would get you, or $3500 in an unknown.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
What am I ignoring?
your ignoring advice..... even when you KNOW

. Someone told me to talk to housekeeps and other blue collar people. They don't live here for the most part (unless they have a spouse with a higher paying job), they live out in the exburbs. That's a bit far to go when the car is giving me problems.
ever hear "an oz of prevention is worth a pound of cure"? And for the record.... how far are we talking?

And yes, filters/hoses are basically "can you rotate your wrist to turn a screwdriver" simple.

There are two auto parts stores (same chain) near me, but they aren't cheap. I called one of them. It would have been cheaper to do the battery there ($45 less). But they aren't a full service shop. I will keep them in mind for simple things though. And there is no Walmart nearby and the Costco doesn't sell auto stuff or have a shop either.

annnd bull****. There's 'somewhere' near you that offers it.
Yes. It won't be "full service" and Yes... you may have to lower yourself to speak to a housekeeper or blue collar worker!

So let's just step away from prices for a bit and believe me when I tell you that everything from car repairs to a gallon of milk cost more where I live. I want to figure out when is that tipping point when repairs are no longer worth the hassle (as well as cost). That's what I'm asking. and that's what we are sddressing.
But when your paying 2x+ what you should be.... it distorts the equation.

Although I do have to ask, would you buy a car with the mileage mine has on it knowing it was almost all city driving though? Would you buy something like a 13 year old taxi with 150k on it? That's the kind of driving my car has done. I wonder if some of the posters here are overlooking that. Highway miles are a lot easier on a car.
Sure if the price/condition checks out.
Everything's an equation.

150k is NOT "high millage" anymore. I get rid of cars around 1/4 mil.
I try to buy around 120, but at the right price.... hell yea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance