Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2017, 02:40 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,203,308 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I like to use the refillable cards like visa vanilla and so forth when purchasing online especially if I'm not too sure about the company but I'm sick of purchases costing an extra $5 every time I have refill or activate a new card.

Anybody know a good card that doesn't charge every time you want to refill?

Rep to all who have a helpful suggestion. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 03:43 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
I do not have a suggestion for a prepaid card but we (card users) are not responsible should something happen when we use our cards, so I use paypal to pay for the ones that offer that option and I have one card set aside for online and whenever the card leaves my hand. Some credit cards have one time use numbers available, call your credit card companies and ask if they have that or sign into your online accounts and look to see if one time use numbers might be available and if not then find a card that does. Bank of America has Shop Safe as an example, Citi has Virtual numbers as another example.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:16 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
bluebird credit card would fit needs, but you won't be able to dispose/recycle numbers after each purchase
https://www.bluebird.com/

but i rather use one time use/limited $ option from citi

why do you want it refillable if you don't trust company? If you use it once, and refill, they can take more out if that was their goal

Old 06-17-2017, 06:32 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Hello.

I like to use the refillable cards like visa vanilla and so forth when purchasing online especially if I'm not too sure about the company but I'm sick of purchases costing an extra $5 every time I have refill or activate a new card.

Anybody know a good card that doesn't charge every time you want to refill?

Rep to all who have a helpful suggestion. Thanks.
I made a purchase for someone else and wouldn't leave the computer until I replaced my real card info with one of those visa gift cards that has $2 on it. I can't make any sort of promise that will work but just 'food for thought'. Bluebird doesn't charge to refill. Can you use paypal? That is the point of paypal for many people. Not wanting to give cc numbers to companies but IDK how that is total safety. Another purchase I did for someone else the company auto-saved my pay-pal info, so I had to change the password.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:00 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Another vote for CC virtual numbers. Most have them, they work well.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I made a purchase for someone else and wouldn't leave the computer until I replaced my real card info with one of those visa gift cards that has $2 on it. I can't make any sort of promise that will work but just 'food for thought'. Bluebird doesn't charge to refill. Can you use paypal? That is the point of paypal for many people. Not wanting to give cc numbers to companies but IDK how that is total safety. Another purchase I did for someone else the company auto-saved my pay-pal info, so I had to change the password.
Repped all -

I've done/had both those issues myself. I've also used websites that claim not to save your data after you pay. But a couple times I wanted to return or they didn't apply a discount/coupon whatever and had to go to their customer service. They refunded me - on the card - they claim not to have saved the data on.

Paypal won't let me add money to my paypal account without linking a credit card and giving them my SSN which I won't do. So its virtually a useless service unless I get someone else to load it with money or sell something through ebay which is the only time I will actually have money in it. Then I can transfer the money into my bank account from paypal - but stupidly - paypal won't let me transfer money from my account into paypal without all the person ID.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
I do not have a suggestion for a prepaid card but we (card users) are not responsible should something happen when we use our cards, so I use paypal to pay for the ones that offer that option and I have one card set aside for online and whenever the card leaves my hand. Some credit cards have one time use numbers available, call your credit card companies and ask if they have that or sign into your online accounts and look to see if one time use numbers might be available and if not then find a card that does. Bank of America has Shop Safe as an example, Citi has Virtual numbers as another example.
Thanks - I'd never even heard of this before but I'll look into it. That's why I love these forums. Such smart people who know all kinds of stuff I'd never even heard of.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
bluebird credit card would fit needs, but you won't be able to dispose/recycle numbers after each purchase
https://www.bluebird.com/

but i rather use one time use/limited $ option from citi

why do you want it refillable if you don't trust company? If you use it once, and refill, they can take more out if that was their goal
Yeah you're right. I was just thinking it is easier to have one card then to have to keep getting new cards for another purchase. I don't buy much online actually so figured it would be convenient instead of having to buy those gift cards for $5 activation fees. But then I tried to buy something on ebay where the seller only took credit cards - so those disposable gift cards weren't being accepted either anyway. Lost a sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance