Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 07:34 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I have my EBill Pay EFT them the amount due on the due date.

The key here is I push the money to them, I don't allow them to "Take" it from my account as a online payment would be.
Right. I never want others authorized to take money. I have it set up to send to them. I can see in advance all the payments I have set and change the amount or day if needed but mostly I don't want to forget that 'whoever' is taking 'whatever' on a certain date and have a stress.

I do let some billers (all that will allow it) auto-charge my credit card for the points. I don't charge it up high enough for there to be any oopsies that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 07:37 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I don't know that I've ever actually received a credit card bill in the mail. I've certainly never sent in a check. Why would anyone waste the time and money?
In your opinion it is a waste of time and money but to many it is not. Amazingly enough the world has been quite successful using non electronic products like printed checks, in pen, pencil, paper, doing the actual turning of the knob on the television or radio to change the channel or turn it on and off.
I wonder though if/when all the electronics are not available for whatever reason will you be able to pay your debts on time? How is that going to work out if you have no printed checks or an actual paper bill?

Old 06-18-2017, 07:47 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
I set up the online pay for each particular credit card and then when they send me a notice the bill is available, I then pay it on the cc website, thus allowing them to pull the funds, since it is I who set the amount they can pull. In over 20 years of doing this, I have never had even one mistake happen and I doubt one ever will.

You people who worry about the cc company pulling money, what is your worry, have any of you ever had the wrong amount pulled and if so how did it happen, please be specific?
Specifically: any time you release your main banking and routing number to an entity,they can dip into your account. Direct deposit is the same way. The moment you allow your employer to have your bank information,they can retrieve as well as deposit. I had a former employer do this and it reeked havoc on my other automatic payments. It took them 4 days to do a financial inquiry ,and they refused to pay for the fees I incurred from their error! So if at all possible stay mindful of who or what entity you choose to give access to YOUR funds.

I still pay by check on two bills ...Rent and sewer/water. And just to be a pest I have them mail me my monthly receipts. I've had too many moments of my printer not working or my computer going on the fritz. Paper documents secured works for me.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:00 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Specifically: any time you release your main banking and routing number to an entity,they can dip into your account. Direct deposit is the same way. The moment you allow your employer to have your bank information,they can retrieve as well as deposit. I had a former employer do this and it reeked havoc on my other automatic payments. It took them 4 days to do a financial inquiry ,and they refused to pay for the fees I incurred from their error! So if at all possible stay mindful of who or what entity you choose to give access to YOUR funds.

I still pay by check on two bills ...Rent and sewer/water. And just to be a pest I have them mail me my monthly receipts. I've had too many moments of my printer not working or my computer going on the fritz. Paper documents secured works for me.
I pay all my bills online but never automatic payment because of situations like this happening to my account. It's better for me to just pay every month by logging on to the website to avoid any issues.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

I used to feel like why should I spend on the ink? But some things I don't want to keep anymore so I let them send an e-bill and I only print for certain things. Anything I want to keep all the statements for I think they should pay for the printing.

But this is a good reminder for a couple I do not need them to waste paper, ink, and so forth on and I will change to paperless.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:27 PM

840 posts, read 1,120,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I thought that was the norm for paying bills today and was surprised to see people paying their t-mobile bill inside the store.
Every once in a while I see somebody paying for their groceries by check. I wish they would write the check ahead of time and just fill in the amount at the register, but they don't do that. That's how I did it years ago when most people wrote a check for everything.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:29 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
Every once in a while I see somebody paying for their groceries by check. I wish they would write the check ahead of time and just fill in the amount at the register, but they don't do that. That's how I did it years ago when most people wrote a check for everything.

So the person is filling out the check while there is a line full of people?

Old 06-18-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Yes in the olden days we all did this all the time. It was part of the process of grocery shopping! I remember that despite the security risk I had ALL my info pre-printed on the check, including my DL number and phone number to speed up the process.

There was even a time in my life (and I'm not very old!) where those check systems were not fully developed, so people who wrote bad checks there would be a list the checker had to look at before accepting. But they could go other places until everyone had them on a list.

Wild Wild West, eh?

Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Quote:

How long does it take you to fill out a check?

Old 06-19-2017, 05:42 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why would credit cards payments be handled differently than any other bill.
The VISA gets a done by a transfer.

The key about online payment is to NEVER allow anyone to "pull" from your account.
Use the bill pay feature and "push" your payments.

Out of curiosity, why so adamant about not using pull? I use both push and pull regularly and have never had a problem.

I like to use pull when I want the account to be credited instantaneously. Especially a mortgage or CC payment that might be cutting it a little tight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance