Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 06:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,477 times

Advertisements

I'm an estate agent in South Africa,Western Cape.My own car was ,with alot of pressure to do so, company logo wrapped and I had to sign an agreement to pay the full cost for the wrapping when decided to terminate my employment with the company within 24months of the wrapping.The company paid for the initial wrapping that was put on.My question:Based on the nature of the contractual work of an estate agent [renumeration based on commission only]is it not contridictary to have a seperate contract to force me to stay 24months becauase of the wrapping otherwise I am forced to pay back in full the initial cost of the wrapping ,which I didn't want in the first place? Secondly :I am also resticted to work for the following 3months in the same areas I was working during my employment with this company.Are this restictions legal and how must I servive if not permitted to work for 3months or does it mean I must move with my family to any town to be able to provide for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 06:38 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,434,569 times
I have no idea what the laws are like in South Africa, but it appears that you're locked in under a contract that you signed. Whether your previous employer would actually take the time, effort and resources to recoup the money for your car wrapping is hard to say. Surely you're not the first person to leave prior to the 24-month period. What has happened to others who have gone before you?

I'm afraid that I can't offer much insight on the no-compete clause either. In the US, the strength of no-competes varies from state to state. For the most part, they're hard to enforce unless someone works in a highly specialized field or is a senior level executive. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,477 times
Many thanx.I'm the first to leave with the car wrap issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance