Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,369 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, my husband was laid off from work. We were about to lose our home when we resorted to using our credit card to pay our house note. Unfortuantely, things got worse and before I knew it, we were behind on the credit card bills. Then I refinanced our house, and the only equity we could get was 4,000.00. I sent the collection agency the money. They took it and told me I had 6 months to pay the balance of 6,000.00. Of course I couldn't do it and the collection agency just ranted at me over the phone because I could'nt pay 1,000.00 per month. Now I am being sued for the balance. I will go to court on 3/17/08. Of course I am nervous and have no idea what to expect. The collection agency still calls me. Their last call was 2/20/08 and again they wanted me to pay $1000.00 per month. What do I do? I will pay the debt, but $4,000.00 showed good faith that I want to take care of the debt, but they are refusing to work with me on a decent payment plan. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 12:37 PM

395 posts, read 490,698 times
just declare bankruptcy and walk away from your home. this is the american way.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:27 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,374,572 times
Give them one last shot. Call them and tell them what you can afford to send them each month. Be prepared to show the judge the same information in court - a budget that shows how much you can afford to give them, and that you have already offered to give them that amount but they refused. The judge may still issue an order for your pay to be garnished, but it might be in the amount that you've already said you'd pay them.

I think your whole defense in court should be that you want to pay them but they won't accept a reasonable payment plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance