Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 03:28 PM

270 posts, read 203,451 times

Advertisements

Realistically speaking, what is the income amount you're moving towards. The amount that once you make x amount, you will no longer look for a job thinking I wanting to increase my pay. I get this amount will be different depending on where you live but I'm just curious as to what people. I feel like my number changes every time I get a higher paying job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 03:50 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times

Too many variables to answer your question but Charles Dickens has it right. Maintain your current standard of living even if your income increases and you'll have more than enough. If you try to live in a more expensive manner every time you make more money, you'll never have enough.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:02 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

Too many variables to answer your question but Charles Dickens has it right. Maintain your current standard of living even if your income increases and you'll have more than enough. If you try to live in a more expensive manner every time you make more money, you'll never have enough.
Agreed. I thought I would never reach a level OP is speaking of - not wanting to increase my income. But here I am, thinking I don't need any more money, but having more free time would be great.

If I make more money it would all go to savings, but I think we save enough as it is, so earning more is not a priority at all.

Recently my husband lost a job, and quickly had an offer for another. This new job came with about 15% pay cut from his old job, but it's a dream job - something he was doing for years as a hobby. We both immediately agreed he needed to take it.

Although we are in the Personal Finance forum, I will say that - money is not everything .

Old 07-27-2017, 04:06 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,991 times
To actually cover our expenses comfortably and leave enough for charity and putting our kids through college? I'd be really happy with $175k as my husband's peak earnings. But we are a single income household of eight people, and though we are frugal that still takes a fair bit of cash to pull off.

This isn't a huge jump from where we are and should be attainable in the next five to ten years. But I am also actively resisting lifestyle inflation for us.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:35 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Pretty much there.

If I could bump up to $120k it'd be nice. Not sure how my life would be radically different or anything, but more is always nice.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:36 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
I structured things so I can live fine on $60K net. Anything above that lands in savings & investment. To hit my pre-tax and after-tax savings & investment goals, my gross needs to be a heck of a lot higher than that.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:59 PM

270 posts, read 203,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I structured things so I can live fine on $60K net. Anything above that lands in savings & investment. To hit my pre-tax and after-tax savings & investment goals, my gross needs to be a heck of a lot higher than that.
My situations is actually similar. Im at a point where more money just goes to savings and investing not changing my lifestyle.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:18 AM

360 posts, read 372,515 times
My ideal stipend is 100k a year + a basic health insurance and a dental plan.
90k if in New York is also good, in DC maybe not.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:52 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
There have been times in my life when I had no spare time but I had plenty of money. There have been other times when I had lots of time but no money. I kind of flopped back and forth between these two extremes for years.

I think it is best to earn how much you 'need', plus a small bit so you can have coin in your pocket.

I used to be tasked with doing a lot of personal budget counseling. Junior service members would be just fine on $1,000/month. As each year goes by, they get gradual pay bumps, and every couple years they get an advancement so their salary goes up. Often by the time they were making $5,000/month they got into crazy debt.

So how come a guy can do fine on $1,000/month, but get into trouble making $5,000/month? The climb in pay is slow and gradual, and with each bump in pay, they sub-consciously increased their spending.

It was my job to remind them of what their budget was back when they were making $2,000/month and how they were able to support their family.

Not everyone can control their income easily, but everyone can control spending. If you control your spending, then you can budget for investing.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:53 AM

136 posts, read 141,878 times
250k. But like others above, I'd live pretty much the same way and really bulk up investments etc. with a goal towards early retirement or at least financial independence where I didn't have to stay at my professional job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance