Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 03:05 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,841,460 times

Advertisements

In May I had a medical procedure that I thought would be paid for by Health Insurance (colonoscopy) A month after the procedure, I got a bill from the hospital. They told me that while a colonoscopy is a preventative procedure, I had it within 5 years of my last one which isn't fully covered. Oh goody
So, the billing office said I had to pay the bill in full within 30 days. I told them I did not have $1,200 extra laying around so I would pay them what I could. 6 weeks later I get another bill with more cost added. It was from another part of the hospital. Ok...........So I sent in another payment. 6 weeks after that I get another bill with more things added. I called the billing department again. Why was my bill going up and up? They said that different parts of the hospital bill have their own billing schedules. I told them it is ridiculous to send me a different amount every time I turn around. Just send the Complete Bill when all Departments get it straightened out! Ugh!
Ends up that I own 1,750! I tried to set up a payment plan. They did not like the amount I was able to pay. They wanted more. I told them I am not able to send them 400 a month as they wanted. They were really nasty on the phone. I had been paying them an amount every month since the first bill. This last weekend I get a letter from a collection agency telling me that I need to now pay them for the debt. It is not even the whole amount. Part of it is still with the medical clinic because it has not reached the "90" day limit yet.
I really don't understand this at all. 5 years ago I had a balance with this same Medical clinic and I paid what I could per month until it was paid off and it was fine. Now they send it to a collection agency after 90 days if you haven't paid in full? It is so ridiculous!! Makes you feel like a criminal for heaven's sake. I wasn't trying to get out of paying my debts because I always pay them.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 04:19 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
"Just pay what I can every month" doesn't work.

I'm surprised you were able to have the procedure if insurance wouldn't cover it...they usually check and if not, they ask for the $$$ up front now.

What was the final agreed on payment after they asked for $400?

Old 10-23-2017, 05:10 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Here is the Health Insurance thread - search and/or post there.http://www.city-data.com/forum/health-insurance/

Old 10-24-2017, 05:44 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
Cindy, you need a payment plan, not "what you can", that doesn't cut it

That could be $5 one month, $20 the next, and so on. A steady payment if $50 a month may have thwarted this.

Now you have two choices: one is pay the hospital and tell them to stop collections, or pay collections. But if it's been a while without a substantial payment, the hospital won't play the game. They usually will agree to a payment plan that allows you to pay it off in a year. You are about half that now , and if you haven't paid half the bill, no game.

THIS IS IMPORTANT, READ CAREFULLY; find out if the hospital has a low income program you qualify for. It may eliminate or reduce what you may ever owe them. It's a PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM, my hospital has one, and I get 100% discount ( meaning free) HOSPITAL SERVICES ONLY after insurance pays what they will. You HAVE TO HAVE INSURANCE TO BILL FIRST, then they take the percentage of discount. Could be 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% depending on your income. My hospital also has a pharmacy plan that gives the same percentage discount on COPAYS FOR PRESCRIPTIONS, which saves me a LOT of money. Find out if they have one and apply, they may cover that remaining bill, or at least in the future you won't have this issue. CONTACT THE FINANCISL OFFICE AND INQUIRE.
If your hospital doesn't have a patient financial assistance program, check other area hospitals, they may have one. There are three hospitals in my area, all three have them. HOSPITALS DON'T ADVERTISE THIS. At my hospital a family can earn up to $94k and still qualify for at least a 25% discount.

DO it today!!!!!

Best of luck in your endeavor.

The collection agency won't be any easier to deal with!

Old 10-24-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Cindy, you need a payment plan, not "what you can", that doesn't cut it

That could be $5 one month, $20 the next, and so on. A steady payment if $50 a month may have thwarted this.

Now you have two choices: one is pay the hospital and tell them to stop collections, or pay collections. But if it's been a while without a substantial payment, the hospital won't play the game. They usually will agree to a payment plan that allows you to pay it off in a year. You are about half that now , and if you haven't paid half the bill, no game.

THIS IS IMPORTANT, READ CAREFULLY; find out if the hospital has a low income program you qualify for. It may eliminate or reduce what you may ever owe them. It's a PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM, my hospital has one, and I get 100% discount ( meaning free) HOSPITAL SERVICES ONLY after insurance pays what they will. You HAVE TO HAVE INSURANCE TO BILL FIRST, then they take the percentage of discount. Could be 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% depending on your income. My hospital also has a pharmacy plan that gives the same percentage discount on COPAYS FOR PRESCRIPTIONS, which saves me a LOT of money. Find out if they have one and apply, they may cover that remaining bill, or at least in the future you won't have this issue. CONTACT THE FINANCISL OFFICE AND INQUIRE.
If your hospital doesn't have a patient financial assistance program, check other area hospitals, they may have one. There are three hospitals in my area, all three have them. HOSPITALS DON'T ADVERTISE THIS. At my hospital a family can earn up to $94k and still qualify for at least a 25% discount.

DO it today!!!!!

Best of luck in your endeavor.

The collection agency won't be any easier to deal with!

I told the hospital I could send them 50 a month. That was not good enough for them but I sent it anyway. Never missed a payment and then bang, I get the bill from the collection agency. I did call this collection agency this morning but was on hold too long. So, I did the online chat. They were very nice. I set up payments with them for 50 a month. Which, cracks me up since the hospital wouldn't take it. Ha!
Anyway, it's ok.
Thanks for your advice. I will certainly look into the "patient assistance" thing next time if I end up getting a ridiculous bill for something.
Have a Great Day

Old 10-24-2017, 08:53 AM

121 posts, read 105,967 times
See if bank will loan money to you without collateral or do home equity loan. If you have two credit cards, charge it...then roll it to the card that has 0% interest. NEVER GIVE THE BILL COLLECTOR OR ANY CREDITOR ACCESS TO SCHEDULE regular PAYMENTS ON YOUR CREDIT CARD OR BANK ACCOUNT. THEY WILL CLEAN YOU OUT EVEN IF BROKE.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:06 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
What does the EOB from your insurance company say you are to pay? I do hope you have exhausted all options with the insurance company on this issue before blindly accepting the provider's explanation.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misnomed View Post
See if bank will loan money to you without collateral or do home equity loan. If you have two credit cards, charge it...then roll it to the card that has 0% interest. NEVER GIVE THE BILL COLLECTOR OR ANY CREDITOR ACCESS TO SCHEDULE regular PAYMENTS ON YOUR CREDIT CARD OR BANK ACCOUNT. THEY WILL CLEAN YOU OUT EVEN IF BROKE.
A co-worker in my office is also paying a bill with this collection agency. It's ok. She has been paying regular payments for a while now and no, they did not Clean her Out.

I also refuse to put this on a credit card.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
What does the EOB from your insurance company say you are to pay? I do hope you have exhausted all options with the insurance company on this issue before blindly accepting the provider's explanation.
Yes, I did contact the insurance company after I got the bill. They said they paid what they were liable to pay for this procedure.

Really makes you not want to go to the doctor for anything......

Old 10-24-2017, 11:13 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I told the hospital I could send them 50 a month. That was not good enough for them but I sent it anyway. Never missed a payment and then bang, I get the bill from the collection agency. I did call this collection agency this morning but was on hold too long. So, I did the online chat. They were very nice. I set up payments with them for 50 a month. Which, cracks me up since the hospital wouldn't take it. Ha!
Anyway, it's ok.
Thanks for your advice. I will certainly look into the "patient assistance" thing next time if I end up getting a ridiculous bill for something.
Have a Great Day
No, do it NOW to prevent ANY future bills, they may NOT BACK PAY ON AN EXISTING BILL. Just like insurance, be protected BEFORE you need it. The only requirement is income level, though they may ask a few financial questions as well, such as do you own any property you don't live in.

ALSO , as noted, DONT give direct access to check I g or savings or auto bill pay to a c c to the collection company. Their goal is to get the money as FAST AS MUCH as possible.

Best of luck to you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance