Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 02:39 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times

Advertisements

I was with a company for 14 years and got laid off (office politics), but life goes on. The unfortunate thing was the layoff occurred after a VA loan home purchase. I had two years of on-time payments, but had to apply for a loan modification which was recently approved. My income level is higher, but I have some close credit card accounts and car repo to deal with. How should I approach these creditors, as I desire to do the right thing since income is coming in again. I just received a demand letter from Navy Federal, I wasn't shunning my responsibility, but simply got laid off. Should I see if they will take a monthly payment? if not I have no choice but to look at filing bankruptcy to avoid any future harassment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 12:02 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
Write to each creditor explain your layoff and that you are working but due to the layoff you have many debts. Suggest a payment schedule. Ask that any interest and penalties be waived if you keep to your schedule.
Might add a note to your credit agency reports after you do the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance