Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 06:22 AM

354 posts, read 281,234 times

Advertisements

Citydata won't let me edit the above, so needless additional post; IMHO you don't need an accountant OP unless you just want advice. Turbo Tax will import the 1099s for you and calculate everything automatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 08:37 AM

140 posts, read 143,248 times
In general, capital gains are taxed only when they are realized. Unrealized gains and losses are also commonly known as "paper" profits or losses, which implies that the gain/loss is only real "on paper."

So, if you didn't cash in the investments or sell them, I believe you don't have to pay taxes on those since they aren't realized yet and are only paper gains.

I believe with the CD, that works different than investments and you will likely receive a 1099-INT (interest income) or something along those lines for the CD interest you accrued in the taxable year, not at CD maturity.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:38 AM

4,867 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygeek View Post
No one else has said it already, so I'll point out the obvious: if you've held a mutual fund for 6 months or so chances are it paid at least some dividends. The brokerage will give you a 1099 which you will need to file along with your W2. There's a good chance the brokerage hasn't provided the 1099 just yet, Fidelity just published and Vanguard estimates mid Feb for example.
A 1099 does not have to be filed with your tax return unless it shows taxes withheld. The info on the 1099 has been reported to the IRS, so it only needs to be shown on the return.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:09 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceBabe View Post
In general, capital gains are taxed only when they are realized.
In general, capital gains don't exist until/unless they are realized.
The tax paid c/should be thought of as a processing fee to achieve that reality.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:20 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
A 1099 does not have to be filed with your tax return unless it shows taxes withheld. The info on the 1099 has been reported to the IRS, so it only needs to be shown on the return.
1099s show more than taxes withheld fwiw there are many variations

Old 01-31-2018, 10:34 AM

4,867 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
1099s show more than taxes withheld fwiw there are many variations
That's true, but the IRS has all of that info from the provider of the 1099. The IRS only requires a 1099 be included with the return if withheld taxes are shown. I have received hundreds of various types of 1099s over the years and never filed one with my tax return because I never had withheld taxes.

here a couple of places that discuss it:
https://pocketsense.com/need-attach-...turn-7577.html
https://www.bankrate.com/finance/mon...099-forms.aspx

Old 01-31-2018, 10:59 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
That's true, but the IRS has all of that info from the provider of the 1099. The IRS only requires a 1099 be included with the return if withheld taxes are shown. I have received hundreds of various types of 1099s over the years and never filed one with my tax return because I never had withheld taxes.

here a couple of places that discuss it:
https://pocketsense.com/need-attach-...turn-7577.html
https://www.bankrate.com/finance/mon...099-forms.aspx
Investors most often don’t know the classification of the dividends, interest, capital gains etc without having access to the 1099. Including the physical document with your return isn’t really relevant

Old 10-01-2021, 05:46 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Not when his answer is correct.
For the time being;

Yellen about Tax on Unrealized Gains
https://dsjcpa.com/yellen-about-tax-...ealized-gains/

Old 10-01-2021, 05:53 AM

2,024 posts, read 1,315,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
For the time being;

Yellen about Tax on Unrealized Gains
https://dsjcpa.com/yellen-about-tax-...ealized-gains/
That is not a good writeup.
Here is a better link.
https://www.swfinstitute.org/news/88...ated-as-income

Old 10-01-2021, 01:24 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,315,375 times
Here is a transcript of what Treasury Secretury Yellin said on September 28, 2021 as she testified on the coronavirus and CARES Act before the U.S. Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee.

Quote:
“Senator Shelby, I do support eliminating stepped up basis. The reason is that a very large share of the income of wealthy individuals is simply never taxed. Individuals hold onto these assets during their lifetime, that income is never taxed. And we know that for some of the wealthiest individuals in the country, they pay very low taxes overall because most of their income takes the form of unrealized capital gains. The Biden administration proposed that at death those gains be taxed. And with careful consideration, not in any way to harm the prospects of family owned farms or small businesses, there were substantial exemptions to protect them. Even if there is not actually taxation imposed at death, getting rid of stepped up basis would mean that in air would inherit the original basis of the asset. And when that person eventually sold the asset, taxes would be paid. But I regard step up of basis as a kind of loophole that allows a very large portion of income in this country of the wealthiest individuals to go untaxed.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance