Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 12:32 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times

Advertisements

I've got Versa Check 2003.
The instructions say I can design and print blank checks.
I get to a screen where it ask for the bank code.
The symbols in the bank code at the bottom of my checks, the routing number, etc. are not there to be chosen.

The symbols they give are:
&
/
-
none of those are in the bank code.

When I just enter the number and no symbols and just spaces where the symbols go, I get a message saying the second symbol was not found. I'm not clear on what it means by that.

http://www.commercebank.com/images/routing-example.gif

I've got the numbers but the symbols are not there.
I'm on step 2 where I am supposedly creating a sample check.

anyone else use this check software?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 03:51 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
I think all routing numbers are 9 digits and have the same beginning and ending symbol.... so I wouldn't try to add symbols, just do the nine digits and see what happens.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I think all routing numbers are 9 digits and have the same beginning and ending symbol.... so I wouldn't try to add symbols, just do the nine digits and see what happens.
When I use the 9 numbers only, it ask for the first symbol.
In the "help" section, under this same "step," it shows the proper symbols, the ones we all see in a routing number.
But, in this step, where it is asking me to create a sample check, the only symbols are:
&
\
-

I tried the & followed by the 9 numbers.
I tried the & followed by the 9 numbers and then I tried both another & and a \

There are more than 9 numbers in the routing number on my real check. There is that symbol that looks like a small "I" followed by 2 dots, then the 9 number and then another symbol and then 5 more numbers.
After that is the account number which is 7 digits and then the check number.
Between the last 5 numbers of the bank code there is a space before the account number. Then a small symbol and then a space before the check number. So, that is what I see on my real checks.

Using the only symbols that step is giving me, I get errors, saying the first symbol is wrong, or the symbol is in the wrong place, or the bank code is not complete (asking me if it looks like the code on my check). The answer is NO because the proper symbols, shown is the help section are not there.

The instructions say there is a "check designer."
I used this many years ago and printed a few blank checks.

I do not think I need to be connected to the internet to design blank checks. I have not used this since 2002, so I am not finding the "design checks" templates.
I'm not connected to the internet during my attempts above. It is a program from a disc and should not require an internet connection. (?)

Old 08-01-2011, 12:51 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,160 times
It's been a while since I used Versa Check because I rarely use checks any more, but since your keyboard doesn't have the MICR symbols (MICR Glossary: MICR Symbols), Versa Check has you use alternate keyboard characters to make the appropriate MICR symbols appear when you print the checks.

& = Transit (the one that looks like a dark vertical line with a colon)

/ = On Us (the one that looks like double vertical line with a small box to the upper right)

- = Dash (three thin vertical lines)

See an example here: Knowledge Base Article

If the codes don't show up when you print you may need to reinstall the MICR fonts. Check out Knowledge Base Article

Old 08-01-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
It's been a while since I used Versa Check because I rarely use checks any more, but since your keyboard doesn't have the MICR symbols (MICR Glossary: MICR Symbols), Versa Check has you use alternate keyboard characters to make the appropriate MICR symbols appear when you print the checks.

/ = On Us (the one that looks like double vertical line with a small box to the upper right)

See an example here: Knowledge Base Article

If the codes don't show up when you print you may need to reinstall the MICR fonts. Check out Knowledge Base Article

let me try your idea, it sounds like a fix.........thanks.

I designed and printed checks in 2002, with this same program. I've looked in tools and all other areas and can not find the templates. It keeps wanting me to create an account, enter the name of the people who will receive the check, etc. I just can not find the check design area.
If I need to be connected to the internet for some reason then that is the problem.

I'll try the symbols like you have stated above.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:

My checks have the & and then 9 numbers and another & and then 5 numbers.
Then a space and then the account number and then / and then a space and then the check number.

I'm not seeing the "3 vertical lines" on my checks.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
My checks have the & and then 9 numbers and another & and then 5 numbers.
Then a space and then the account number and then / and then a space and then the check number.

I'm not seeing the "3 vertical lines" on my checks.
The dash may not appear on your checks; all that matters is that the symbols and number layout in versacheck match what you got from the bank.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
The dash may not appear on your checks; all that matters is that the symbols and number layout in versacheck match what you got from the bank.
I finally figured it out.
No dash, checks printed out fine.
Thanks.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 8,496 times
Default Any one that have us the Check printing software Versa Check Designer should please help me out !

On creating new account seting , After saying to Select a Template under the following for your check design. I did it and it saying Choose the paper stock we are using for printing , I choosed ! Ok now its saying that you got to give a Name to your check design by editing the highlighted text under the My Designs folder below . Am i to put the name of the receiver on the Highlighted text under My Designs folder ? And when i try to edit the highlighted text then i found out is not working . I TRY TO PUT THE NAME BUT DID NOT ALLOW ME . PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU HAVE THIS ISSUE BEFORE.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:03 AM

I finally exhausted my supply of checks bought from the bank. I started using my 60 Versa Check checks.
For some reason, none of these checks can be processed normally by the check devices they have at the registers. I presented one of these checks to a store yesterday for $2.79. The CS said they had not see a check with the account number like mine and tried to refuse the check.
Why would I try to use a phony check for $2.79?
I'd have my buggy full of wine, steak, lobster, etc. if the check was bad.
And I had used 3 of these home printed checks at that exact same store. They have to manually enter the account number for some reason. The format on the check is:
symbol-9 digit routing number - symbol - first 5 digits of the account number - space - the last 7 digits of the account number - symbol - check number.
These checks are also taking 2-3 weeks to clear my account. I called the store's tech support and they said manually entered accounts numbers makes the check processing procedure change.
The checks that I have mailed to non grocery stores, do clear very fast. Some places, these days, do not even need the check itself, just the account number. These checks that are clearing fast may be electronic transactions and the actual check in their hand is shredded.
When I use up these 60 checks the account will be closed. This was the purpose of wanting to print these 60 checks so as to not throw out the blank check sheets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance