Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 08:55 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times

Advertisements

How will you get a new spouse to file separately?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 09:24 AM

119 posts, read 68,459 times
Okay, this thread is getting away from my original post, leading to moralising. This is mostly my fault because I answered commenters' questions regarding why I want to do what I want to do.

So now to refocus. If I file "married filing separately," can my spouse get a copy of my return? How about if the filing is "head of household?"

Old 03-11-2018, 09:27 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justsomeone9 View Post
Okay, this thread is getting away from my original post, leading to moralising. This is mostly my fault because I answered commenters' questions regarding why I want to do what I want to do.

So now to refocus. If I file "married filing separately," can my spouse get a copy of my return? How about if the filing is "head of household?"
Yes & yes. You're screwed.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:43 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Correct. Those designations are for tax purposes, not privacy ones.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:12 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,783,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
They can't get it from the IRS on their own, maybe with a court order. If the spouse has no obligation for the return they aren't entitled to the information.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:56 AM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Your spouse and any semi-competent attorney will be able to track your finances and tax returns down. No place to run, nowhere to hide. Lying liars are eventually found out and that's not emotion, that's just how it works.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:04 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:

How would you be able to qualify for Head of Household?? DO you have a dependent that lives with you & you support? Living apart from your wife?

If no qualifying person for Head of Household, as far as I can see, you have married joint or separate as options.

IMO, you are setting yourself up for disaster by continuing the deception. Time to come clean.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:07 AM

SuiteLiving, thanks. That's assuring, if accurate.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:59 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,783,228 times
Quote:
SuiteLiving, thanks. That's assuring, if accurate.
From CCH - see also Form 4506

Standard Federal Tax Reporter (2018),36,894.0264,Inspection of Returns: Disclosure of returns, persons with material interest
Upon written request, disclosure of returns and return information can be made to the following:

the filing taxpayer;

a spouse who filed a joint return;

partners of a partnership;

shareholders of an S corporation;

one-percent shareholders and persons authorized by resolutions of the board of directors or by written request of a principal officer;

the administrator, executor, or trustee of an estate, and the heirs with a material interest that will be affected by the information;

the trustee of a trust and beneficiaries with a material interest;

persons authorized to act on behalf of a dissolved corporation;

a receiver or trustee in bankruptcy; and

the committee, trustee or guardian of the estate of an incompetent taxpayer ( Code Sec. 6103(e)).

Disclosures may also be made to the duly authorized attorney in fact of the person with a material interest making the disclosure request. In addition, ataxpayer's return will be open to inspection by or disclosure to the taxpayer's child (or such child's legal representative) to the extent necessary to comply with the provisions taxing the unearned income of certain children at the parents' marginal rate ( Code Sec. 6103(e)(1)(A)(iii)).

The procedures for providing copies of return and return information are governed by IRS practices described in the Statement of Procedural Rules and on the forms used to request copies or inspection of returns and return information. See Statement of Procedural Rules Sec. 601.702(d), at ¶43,464. Form 4506 is used to request a copy of a tax return and attachments or a transcript of a return.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:29 PM

SuiteLiving,

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance