Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 12:38 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times

Advertisements

I have three CC's. I am paying them off, but the lowest one is a bank CC and I can move money into that account with 3 clicks of a mouse. It only takes 2 seconds. But when I pay the other 2, even online it takes 2-5 DAYS for the debt to be deducted from my account.

Is there any chance it could be made faster?

Btw I have the debts:

US Bank CC $3300 Max $3500
Walmart CC $5700 Max $6K
Amex $5500 Max $6K

Us bank first, Amex will start charging interest in Nov....Walmart drooling at the interest they charge me. It's OK my hole I dug...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 01:14 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
First of all, are you pushing the payments using your bank's billpay system, or pulling the funds from the credit cards' websites?

If you're pushing the funds, it is what it is. If the transfer takes two days you just need to take that into account when you set up the payment.

If you're pulling the funds, there may be a delay in the payment showing up so that it can be verified. When it shows up, though, the posting date should be the same as the date you set up the payment. So it shouldn't have any effect on the amount of interest charged, if that's your concern.

Either way, the answer is to set up the payments a couple of days earlier.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:32 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,126,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I have three CC's. I am paying them off, but the lowest one is a bank CC and I can move money into that account with 3 clicks of a mouse. It only takes 2 seconds. But when I pay the other 2, even online it takes 2-5 DAYS for the debt to be deducted from my account.

Btw I have the debts:

Walmart CC $5700 Max $6K
Amex $5500 Max $6K

Us bank first, Amex will start charging interest in Nov....Walmart drooling at the interest they charge me. It's OK my hole I dug...
Sometimes my payments with a capital one take 3 days. Chase card from chase checking shows instantly on checking but takes 1 or 2 days to show up on credit end. It’s ridiculous. It should be instantly done after the click

Old 07-10-2018, 05:45 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,351,846 times
Need more info. Assume the one that is instance is because the card and your checking account is the same bank and you are making an electronic transfer. The others could be going through the US mail.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:04 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,424,572 times
Quote:

Btw I have the debts:

Walmart CC $5700 Max $6K
Amex $5500 Max $6K

I personally prefer the highest interest rate snowballed first. Obviously your choice, but financially the highest rate should go first by the math.

As for the payment - if you're talking about "moving money" it sounds like you're talking about an internal transfer of funds, which is why it can be instant.

The others if you're paying from a bank that's different than the credit card (e.g. a Chase checking account and a Citibank credit card), then the payment is sent through the ACH (automated clearing house) which is why it takes 2-3 business days. The only instant way is to take cash to a bank branch that the credit card is held under. There's a reason most transactions take 2-3 business days to clear, and most reasons are due to a lag to catch fraudulent transactions and not allowing them to clear when one bank tries to transfer money to another.

https://healpay.com/2015/09/28/why-d...ong-to-settle/

Old 07-11-2018, 07:33 AM

139 posts, read 101,890 times
Quote:

Btw I have the debts:

Walmart CC $5700 Max $6K
Amex $5500 Max $6K

With Citi, it takes either the same day or the next day to process, but the balance reflected is updated once you click on 'make payment' button.

As someone else mentioned, perhaps paying them 2 days ahead would be a good idea.

And, my suggestion would always be to pay off store (walmart) cards first, followed by others. Typically they have the highest interest rates, not sure how the other two are in your case.

Another option is to move all these into a 0% balance transfer card so that the delayed payments posting will not impact one way or other for the initial intro period. BofA / Discover / Citi all have 0% intro 15-18 months, if not already, do explore them. https://www.creditcards.com/balance-transfer/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance