Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 05:45 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times

Advertisements

That does seem like a lot of debt for CC and personal loans. However, if he's not in arrears, does it really matter? Does he have that debt plus a mortgage? I'd be surprised given the debt-to-income ratio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 05:50 AM

3,084 posts, read 1,547,097 times
Who in their right mind would disclose all their assets and debts to the American public. Or to stupid Congress. Hide everything you can, and disclose only the bare minimum. People judge a book by its cover anyway. If you drive an old car and live in a little house people will think you are as poor as a churchmouse. If you live in a big house with expensive cars people will think you have lots of money. American people only judge by appearance. Its a very shallow society.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:10 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
This is pretty interesting. I am kind of shocked by these numbers.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...g-13067768.php

His wife apparently works as a Town manager and makes $66k. His current salary is apparently ~$220k. So they make combined $300k and have savings of $50k?

Goes to show you that beyond a certain threshold, it is not about how much you make, it is about how much you spend.

He is 53, so I assume his wife is about that age, too.

But I guess if you have a for life position and a pension, you can live paycheck to paycheck
I would vote against him just on this information. This signifies very poor money management skills and poor decision making. Find another conservative who knows how to manage their own money.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:32 AM

425 posts, read 391,808 times
While this looks bad, I am sure many people will not focus on it, and focus on his position.

To me it portrays bad decision making skills, but I think more importantly a weakness that can be exploited. Having a public figure in deep debt makes them obligated to someone else, and put pressure to pay off. If they fail at eliminating that debt, they could be open to bribes, payoffs, corruption.

Not that being wealthy or out of debt makes those impossible, everyone loves money. Greed vs desperation.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:50 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
It's not as dire as it seems, according to the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...6a7_story.html

On Kavanaugh's debt (emphasis mine):
Quote:
White House spokesman Raj Shah told The Washington Post that Kavanaugh built up the debt by buying Washington Nationals season tickets and tickets for playoff games for himself and a “handful” of friends. Shah said some of the debts were also for home improvements.

In 2016, Kavanaugh reported having between $60,000 and $200,000 in debt accrued over three credit cards and a loan. Each credit card held between $15,000 and $50,000 in debt, and a Thrift Savings Plan loan was between $15,000 and $50,000.

The credit card debts and loan were either paid off or fell below the reporting requirements in 2017, according to the filings, which do not require details on the nature or source of such payments. Shah told The Post that Kavanaugh’s friends reimbursed him for their share of the baseball tickets and that the judge has since stopped purchasing the season tickets.
Maybe he's a cc points and miles guy. Ideally, his friends paid him back immediately so he didn't carry that balance, and he put the tickets on a Citi Prestige card. (2x points for entertainment, including sporting events)

On his assets:
Quote:
The value of residences is not subject to disclosure, and Shah added that Kavanaugh has a government retirement account worth nearly half a million dollars that also was not required to be disclosed.

“At this time the Kavanaughs have no debt beyond their home mortgage,” Shah said.

He said that Kavanaugh has assets of nearly $1 million between the equity in his home and his retirement account.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 07-12-2018 at 07:40 AM..

Old 07-12-2018, 07:17 AM

425 posts, read 391,808 times
That is more reasonable. Though I think that the debt is a little high, he still has a positive NW.

Man in that position likely has a need for the tickets politically, so it is not outrageous.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:38 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,639,254 times
Isn't it a bit convenient that all these friends that had run up their tab suddenly paid him off?

Old 07-12-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Isn't it a bit convenient that all these friends that had run up their tab suddenly paid him off?
With his background, his friends are probably wealthier than he is. He was high school classmates with the owner of the Arizona Cardinals and the GM of the Yankees, then went to Yale and has been around the DC elite for years.

I think it's a realistic scenario that he bought several season tickets (at $6.8k each) for his buddies (who are probably pretty rich), expecting them to pay him back. Especially so if he was planning on earning points and/or hit some spending targets.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 07-12-2018 at 08:02 AM..

Old 07-12-2018, 08:12 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,639,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
With his background, his friends are probably wealthier than he is. He was high school classmates with the owner of the Arizona Cardinals and the GM of the Yankees, then went to Yale and has been around the DC elite for years.

I think it's a realistic scenario that he bought several season tickets (at $6.8k each) for his buddies (who are probably pretty rich), expecting them to pay him back. Especially so if he was planning on earning points and/or hit some spending targets.
Sounds logical. Let's make the poorest friend make the expensive purchases, put it on his credit cards, so that he is legally required to disclose them and look like a spendthrift publicly, and then pay him back a year later.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Sounds logical. Let's make the poorest friend make the expensive purchases, put it on his credit cards, so that he is legally required to disclose them and look like a spendthrift publicly, and then pay him back a year later.
The reasoning is more along the lines of "let the poorest guy earn some points/status". I don't know when they intended to pay him back or when they actually paid him back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance