Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 03:52 PM

231 posts, read 462,544 times

Advertisements

I often hear about various companies offering loans to allow one to pay of their high interest credit card debt, at loan rates of 4.99% over a fixed time frame between 2 to 6 (sometimes more) years.

While it is helpful for one to get rid of the credit card debt with APR interest rates of 18%-22%, how does taking out a loan negatively effect ones financial profile?

If you have to means to consistently make your minimum or higher monthly payments, does it negatively effect your credit rating (risk, score, etc) to have taken out a loan?

Does it negatively effect you in other ways that I am not considering?

What are the downsides to taking out such a loan, if you are a person who has the means to pay it off in a fixed amount of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 06:44 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
Forget the short term negatives on your credit score, just take out the loan and pay off the debt and save money and start saving/investing.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:09 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Get the loan, pay off the cc and pay the cc in full each month. For a couple of days you will have a very high debt ratio but probably the following month you credit score will be back to where it is now.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:45 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,105 times
A loan will increase your score significantly if you have a high credit card utilization.

Let's say you have 5 cards and your balances are 80% of utilization. Once you get a loan and payoff the balances, your utilization becomes 0%.

Positives: taking out loan lowers utilization, and adds an account to your credit profile.
Negative: adds and inquiry to your profile.

High credit card utilization has a big factor on your score. High utilization on a installment loan has a low impact on your credit score. Both quoted from credit karma.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:59 PM

23,300 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Of course this only works if you can get approved for the loan.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityScape0322 View Post
I often hear about various companies offering loans to allow one to pay of their high interest credit card debt, at loan rates of 4.99% over a fixed time frame between 2 to 6 (sometimes more) years.

While it is helpful for one to get rid of the credit card debt with APR interest rates of 18%-22%, how does taking out a loan negatively effect ones financial profile?

If you have to means to consistently make your minimum or higher monthly payments, does it negatively effect your credit rating (risk, score, etc) to have taken out a loan?

Does it negatively effect you in other ways that I am not considering?

What are the downsides to taking out such a loan, if you are a person who has the means to pay it off in a fixed amount of time?
its interesting when someone is so worried about their credit that they are willing to pay 18-22% interest rather than risking some damage to their credit score. any damage to your credit score will certainly be less than the value of what you are paying in interest.

however, in this scenario it would seem that you would be adding a credit account, adding a hard inquiry and reducing your credit card utilization. my guess is that it would have a net positive impact on your credit score. more importantly, it could save a lot of money.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:10 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Of course this only works if you can get approved for the loan.

And you don't immediately charge up that now empty credit card again. I've seen that done a number of times.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:05 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its interesting when someone is so worried about their credit that they are willing to pay 18-22% interest rather than risking some damage to their credit score. any damage to your credit score will certainly be less than the value of what you are paying in interest.

however, in this scenario it would seem that you would be adding a credit account, adding a hard inquiry and reducing your credit card utilization. my guess is that it would have a net positive impact on your credit score. more importantly, it could save a lot of money.
Exactly, you want to reach the point where you literally don't need a credit score because you are financially independent, and the way to get to that is to get out of debt fast so you don't pay interest to others but start paying yourself, instead of worrying about your credit score and paying $$ in interest.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:50 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
And you don't immediately charge up that now empty credit card again. I've seen that done a number of times.
This is the key. If you can borrow the money unsecured at a reasonable interest rate and make the payments there is no downside to doing what's suggested here. Decreased credit utilization is a major plus, especially if it's a sizable amount of debt, and making regular payments on an installment loan on time will help as well. A hard credit inquiry might ding you a couple of points, but by itself won't have any impact after a couple of months.

But running up the CC again will leave you much worse off than you are.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:25 PM

17,586 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

It would also negatively affect your score by bringing down the average age of your credit accounts. But, again, this would be temporary and I'm certainly not advocating against doing it because of this.

Personally, I wouldn't see this as a bad thing, unless you were looking to buy a house/car within a relatively short period of time.. Which you probably shouldn't be doing until you've got the debt under control anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance