Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Two Choices; $30K wedding or invest that money instead
Spend the $30K on the nice wedding, tomorrow is not guaranted 14 25.93%
Invest the $30K in the stock market and use it 30 years from now 40 74.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 12:47 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,132,491 times

Advertisements

I just read this article the other day and when I saw this topic, it reminded me of it:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wa...est-2018-11-27
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 12:53 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
what you don't plan on working?? the 30 grand is it forever??
I agree with you. My SIL did this, they are now divorced. All of her kids who got married recently in the last 5 years threw at least a wedding. Planning a wedding is the trial time for pre-marriage, if you don’t see eye to eye with your potential spouse, there’s time to cool off. Better than a divorce much later on, much more expensive. $30k is peanuts comparatively.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:55 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,343,801 times
Foolish amount of money to spend on a day.

Double foolish when you consider most of those weddings end in divorce

Triple foolish when the opportunity cost of that day could be hundreds of thousands and you can do a lot of nice stuff for 5 or 7k or even 10k.

People get caught in the here and now. Most people don't save much of anything for retirement. Big part of that problem is frivolous spending throughout their lives and pissing away 30k of life savings on a wedding is ****ing beyond stupid.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:59 PM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I personally don't want a traditional wedding. I'll be just as happy going down to the courthouse & getting married. I'd much rather save & have more money for my married life.
Considering your other posts .....

Old 11-28-2018, 01:08 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Doing anything for less than $10-$15k nowadays at any venue is pretty unheard of unless it’s really small. We rented a place for a day that only cost $750 and they let us do whatever we wanted. My father-in-law cooked all the food and bought all the booze, but when you start throwing in a tux, a wedding dress, shoes, invitations, flowers, etc. add in food and drinks for 125-150 people and $10k is extremely easy to hit even if it’s from Costco.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:28 PM

32,651 posts, read 48,053,996 times
A big wedding is really important to some people. At least she has the money saved up and isn't planning on doing the wedding on credit.

It sounds like she is young. If she has saved $30,000 already, I suspect that she is good with her budget and can do it again.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:34 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
You shouldn't concern yourself with other people's finances. It's honestly none of your business and not something to get worked up about.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specific Point View Post

I told her that assuming a stock market investment doubled every seven years, if they took that $30K and put it in the stock market instead, that nice wedding may be worth $500,000 in thirty years. That would allow them to retire at age 55 and live a life of leisure for the next 30 years.
No, it wouldn't.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:41 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
She only sees it as HER " big day", just like "its all about the dress"....

We got married on our friends 3 acres farmette, under his pergola in the "north 40", and our friend also a minister performed the ceremony for free for us, and his OH put out a sandwich spread for the 5 of us who were there.

Simple and to the point.

I have never been one to keep up with the Jones's, or to try to impress friends.

Yes, OP, i would rather invest it and have it for retirement than a one time shebang, but each to their own.

It IS the one day, dress and all that a young woman can feel like a princess or like Cinderella at the ball. That is what many of them want and have been "trained" since real young that it should be that way. The only missing thing in this fairy tale is the knight in shining armor to carry her off. But her man and the obligatory limo or Rolls Royce will just have to do.

Not for me, but it may be for her.

Just hope that she doesn't end up being a statistic and divorced 10 years later.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:54 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,324 times
Seems a ridiculous expense for a day but I'm unmarried and never plan to marry. But I've learned a long time ago to bite my tongue when it comes to finances. I never try to offer any advice to anyone because they don't want it. So I'll reiterate what another poster said, none of your business.

At work some of my coworkers make jokes at me about my toy phone (iPhone SE) and how I even use it. Same guys have new iPhones each year with $50 monthly payments and $700 car loans. They vent to me about how they can't afford to live on one job when it gets slow and overtime isn't abundant; and need another. These same two are single no kids. Five years ago I'd tell them to buy a car they need and not want, and don't upgrade their phone every year but no one wants to hear that. I just sit back and let people do their thing.

The only person I've coached over the last couple years was a coworker that didn't know traditional banking was an option and I got him out of recurring 180% personal loans that he used to get himself in. He had good credit but he was taken advantage of because he's a first generation Mexican American. He now has a small line of credit at his CU at 8% if he needs it and has a credit card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance