Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 07:10 AM

258 posts, read 604,782 times

Advertisements

I'm 32 years old and currently maxing out my 401K contributions ($19K) with a 6% employer match as well as two Roth IRAs for my wife and me. ($6,000 each) We also have 529s for both of our kids where we are contributing. I get quarterly bonus money from work ($3K - $4K per quarter) and I'd like to open a taxable account to start investing that. Currently my Roth IRAs are comprised of a few Vanguard index funds.

Without getting into any index funds vs managed funds debates, my general question is if there is any reason to invest any differently within my taxable account than I do in my Roth IRAs? (Assuming my Roth funds are properly diversified to begin with) My goal is the same - growth over a 20-30 year period. I do not plan on really messing with the taxable account until after 55 or so unless there is an emergency need. (I also have a 6 month emergency fund in a High Yield Savings Account)

Only debt is my 3.75% mortgage and $7,000 left on my wife's 1.75% car loan. I pay a few hundred extra each month on the mortgage but don't want to start throwing my bonus money at it - with such a low rate I'm thinking I can get a better return elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 07:28 AM

456 posts, read 349,087 times
The only reason I can think of is if there's a big difference in fees. If you have enough in your taxable account to get Admiral status (Vanguard) you'll have a lower fee.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:40 AM

258 posts, read 604,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgal View Post
The only reason I can think of is if there's a big difference in fees. If you have enough in your taxable account to get Admiral status (Vanguard) you'll have a lower fee.
Yes was going to start off with $3K in my first deposit so I will have enough for Admiral. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 03-11-2019, 07:51 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
I would opt for ETFs over mutual funds where possible in taxable accounts

Old 03-11-2019, 11:33 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,644,241 times
Whether you do index or actively managed, you want low turnover funds/etfs in your taxable account. Also, if you hold international stocks, those are ideal for taxable accounts as you can deduct foreign taxes paid by the fund/etf. If you hold it in a tax-advantaged account, you cannot.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:18 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjedwards409 View Post
I'm 32 years old and currently maxing out my 401K contributions ($19K) with a 6% employer match as well as two Roth IRAs for my wife and me. ($6,000 each) We also have 529s for both of our kids where we are contributing. I get quarterly bonus money from work ($3K - $4K per quarter) and I'd like to open a taxable account to start investing that. Currently my Roth IRAs are comprised of a few Vanguard index funds.

Without getting into any index funds vs managed funds debates, my general question is if there is any reason to invest any differently within my taxable account than I do in my Roth IRAs? (Assuming my Roth funds are properly diversified to begin with) My goal is the same - growth over a 20-30 year period. I do not plan on really messing with the taxable account until after 55 or so unless there is an emergency need. (I also have a 6 month emergency fund in a High Yield Savings Account)

Only debt is my 3.75% mortgage and $7,000 left on my wife's 1.75% car loan. I pay a few hundred extra each month on the mortgage but don't want to start throwing my bonus money at it - with such a low rate I'm thinking I can get a better return elsewhere.
I would think you want to be careful about what you put in taxable accounts. You have to look for funds that don't generate a lot of capital gains. That usually means funds without much turnover. That usually means index funds should go in the taxable account. I helped a friend find some actively managed funds with low turnover for his taxable account; but even those funds put out some significant capital gains last December. These were the funds I put my friend in:

Parnassus Core Equity PRILX
Yacktman YACKX

Other actively managed funds with low turnover that I'd consider would be:

Amana Growth AMIGX
Amana Income AMINX
FMI Large Cap FMIHX/FMIQX

Old 03-11-2019, 12:51 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,821,133 times
Taxable munis ..eg BBN, can generate over 6% annual yield with less volatility than a market index, which makes them a very nice bond position in a diversified retirement fund.
At higher income levels in taxable accounts they become much less suitable .

Old 03-11-2019, 01:44 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Consider an after tax contribution to your 401k and roll into the Roth IRA. Max contribution is $56k per person.

You put in $19k, company puts in $11k (example), you can add up to $26k in after tax contributions and roll that into your Roth.

If needed you can take out any contributions to your Roth at any time without penalty.

Check with your plan administrator.

I wish I had gone that way years ago when I started saving - well into the six figures in cap gains taxes.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:06 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,017,920 times
In your taxable account you may want to invest in funds that either do, or do not, spin off a lot of dividends.

You also may want different funds in taxable vs. IRAs to avoid wash sales.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:29 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,351,846 times
In general no investment reason to have different investments in each account. My assumption is you are properly diversified.

But you should think about taxes. In your taxable accounts you should favor accounts that do not pay interest or dividends or have capital gains distributions. Thus you might want to have similar investments but avoid mutual funds and use ETF's in the taxable account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance