Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 10:40 PM

9 posts, read 3,298 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'd like to take advantage of one or more offers from banks, where they give you money to open an account.
I've seen a few offers online... and it looks like a lot of them need a Direct Deposit into the new account.

I'm self-employed (sole proprietor) and have a bank account in the name of my business.

Can I open a personal account with another bank, and set up a Direct Deposit from my business to myself?

When I called my bank (Wells Fargo), they said if I wanted the Payee to show as the name of my business, rather than my personal name, I would need a Tax Identification Number... which they could give me if I go into the branch.

I file taxes as an individual / sole proprietor... would I be opening a can of worms by getting a Tax ID number?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 11:53 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Go to another bank.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:04 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
I don’t see how a bank can give you a Tax ID number? It’s a federal number associated with any legitimate business. You should just make a legitimate company and you’ll get an EIN. Mine is an S-Corp and I use that tax ID for business purposes. Plus a sole proprietor just seems less legitimate than an actual company and doesn’t offer the same legal protections.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:41 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Go to another bank.
That misses the point of what he is trying to accomplish.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:48 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
You should not need a tax ID number to transfer money between your accounts but you may incur a fee.

You should be able to do this without a fee so either the person does not understand your request or you might want to look for a new bank.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:16 AM

9 posts, read 3,298 times
Thanks for the replies.
I'm probably over thinking this.
What I'm trying to avoid is when the new bank (where I'll open the new personal account) sees that the Payee of the Direct Deposit (my existing bank) has the same name. Fred Jones transferring to Fred Jones.
I only need to make one Direct Deposit to validate the bank's offer.

Maybe it doesn't matter... and maybe the best way is to give it a try.

Last edited by R92024; 05-07-2019 at 11:25 AM..

Old 05-07-2019, 11:19 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Check with the new bank. Sometimes all you need is the reoccurring inflow of deposits which you can accomplish through an ACH transfer

Old 05-07-2019, 01:42 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R92024 View Post
Thanks for the replies.
I'm probably over thinking this.
What I'm trying to avoid is when the new bank (where I'll open the new personal account) sees that the Payee of the Direct Deposit (my existing bank) has the same name. Fred Jones transferring to Fred Jones.

Maybe it doesn't matter... and maybe the best way is to give it a try.
I move money between several bank accounts that all have the same name. Never had a question or problem.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:41 PM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R92024 View Post
Are you sure? How much are they going to give you to open an account with one Direct Deposit?

Are there monthly fees?

Something doesn't sound quite right.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:44 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Are you sure? How much are they going to give you to open an account with one Direct Deposit?

Are there monthly fees?

Something doesn't sound quite right.
These kinds of offers are common. Most, if not all, require a certain amount of direct deposits from an employer, pension, or SS to go into the account before approving you for the bonus.

The bonus amounts range between $100-$500 usually, with the higher amounts having more requirements. I used to do a lot of these, but since I'm in the process of buying my first home had to take a break to keep my bank statements cleaner.

OP, it's worth a shot, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work out. Usually the fine print is pretty specific in what counts as a direct deposit, and what doesn't. Person to person ACH transfers are usually excluded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance