Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 06:25 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times

Advertisements

I don't have any credit card debt because one has to be clinically insane to pay those kind of interest rates at 20+%... hence, the interest terms are of no relevance to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 08:15 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I’ve found pricing discrepancies between points programs but not between dollars and ur
i guess it may not be. i see that when im in the hotel's system there is a discount for rewards members. but to become a rewards member all you need to do it register, so anyone gets it. but if you take the "standard rate" it does seem to work out for using the UR portal. i guess thats the hotels way of making sure people book directly with them vs third party sites.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:25 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
looks nice but im not sure when in my life ill be able to take a multi week trip prior to retirement (which i hope is nice and early).

my youngest is 5 now and i feel like we arent far away from being able to do a more interesting european trip vs the standard tropical island trip.

i still have trouble getting the 1 cent per point value from these points through the chase portal. i have a trip coming up in november and its still cheaper to book through the site. no sense in booking it if i cant get the penny per point value since i can always just get that in cash. im sure if i was flexible i could find a hotel with a deal but its my friend's 40th birthday and they picked the dates and place.

I find the best values either lower category hotels or highest ones. Hyatt is usually good to transfer UR points to, you get good redemption rate there.

Yes being flexible about where you stay is key.

Europe never gets old, my 11yo is on his 3rd passport, all those trips are pleasant memories they will carry with them for the rest of their lives.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Europe never gets old, my 11yo is on his 3rd passport, all those trips are pleasant memories they will carry with them for the rest of their lives.
what is your favorite trip for small children (mine are 5 & 9 girls)? my dad actually asked yesterday if we want to go to croatia this summer (him paying so i wouldnt use my points). id like to make a trip there but not with the tour guide that we will have (my sister in law). fortunately my wife said no but i think its on for next summer.

i think we are ready for europe, we had an awesome time in vegas this spring.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:43 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,985,209 times
Playing devil’s advocate. I believe they bump up the APRs to cover the cost of applicants that apply for sign up bonuses, then cash in the rewards and close the account prior to the annual fee. My Chase Sapphire Preferred offers 60,000 sign up points after spending $4K the first three months. That’s a $600 value. Somebody has to cover the cost and it usually ends up being the cardholders that carry balances. These travel/cash back rewards cards are not ideal for revolving balances. Get a credit Union cc with a lower APR if you go that route

Old 06-27-2019, 08:48 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
got the notices.
Amazon Card, Signature Credit. : 16.49% current APR. +1.72% fixed Finance Plan Fee. +10.99% to PrimeRate (5.50%).
Chase Freedom Credit Card: 21.24% current APR. +1.72% Fixed Plan Fee. +15.74% to PrimeRate (5.50%).

Old 06-28-2019, 05:33 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
pretty much irrelevant as we never pay any interest ....
I usually don't pay interest either. But it just galls me that even with well-above 800 credit scores, CC companies on paper have given people with those scores cards with higher than 20% interest.

If anything the high interest is what keeps me determined to NEVER pay that.
IF my card were at 5% I might take one or two months to pay off a major purchase, just because I'd rather have the money in my pocket than pull out a large chunk at one time. But 21% -- oh, hell no.

I called CitiBank and asked them to lower my interest from 21.9% -- the flunky rep said said the best he could do was lower it two points to 19%. I said keep it. You see I never paid interest maybe if it were lower I would. He said sorry that's all I can do. I said alright. I'll never pay it. Thank you have a nice day.

Used to be those with very high scores were give the best rates. Apparently in my case not anymore.
Anyone else found this to be true? My lowest rate is 9.9 -- and that's my credit union card. My lowest bank card is in the mid teens percents interest. That's crazy.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:01 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Citi sends me promotional flyers regularly for 6-12 month interest rate reduction promos. I never pay much attention to them but think they're typically in the 3-5% range. It's a secondary card for us and typically only gets used when we can't pay with AmEx, so I think they're trying to get us to spend more on that card in some way or another.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I usually don't pay interest either. But it just galls me that even with well-above 800 credit scores, CC companies on paper have given people with those scores cards with higher than 20% interest.

If anything the high interest is what keeps me determined to NEVER pay that.
IF my card were at 5% I might take one or two months to pay off a major purchase, just because I'd rather have the money in my pocket than pull out a large chunk at one time. But 21% -- oh, hell no.

I called CitiBank and asked them to lower my interest from 21.9% -- the flunky rep said said the best he could do was lower it two points to 19%. I said keep it. You see I never paid interest maybe if it were lower I would. He said sorry that's all I can do. I said alright. I'll never pay it. Thank you have a nice day.

Used to be those with very high scores were give the best rates. Apparently in my case not anymore.
Anyone else found this to be true? My lowest rate is 9.9 -- and that's my credit union card. My lowest bank card is in the mid teens percents interest. That's crazy.
i have never paid attention to cc interest rates since i have no intention of paying them. i figure the more money they pull in from interest the better rewards i can earn, so i dont have a problem with the high interest rates.

people with very high credit score can get better rates in other areas (and likely "better" rates in regard to cc) so we still benefit. the cc companies probably dont want to risk a race to the bottom on interest rates.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:48 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
got the notices.
Amazon Card, Signature Credit. : 16.49% current APR. +1.72% fixed Finance Plan Fee. +10.99% to PrimeRate (5.50%).
Chase Freedom Credit Card: 21.24% current APR. +1.72% Fixed Plan Fee. +15.74% to PrimeRate (5.50%).
Prior to this change, my Chase cards were 27%. I am happy with 17- 22%. My credit union CC is 9.9%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance