Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 04:43 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,663,780 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here set up a family office? Or participate in a multi-family office (MFO)? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 04:46 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,777,121 times
I've had an office in every home for decades. For about 12 years, my ex and I shared back-to back hightops and all resources such as printers. It worked well for us. Even when playing MMO's.

A shared desk or two for the minor partners is probably a sensible option.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:26 PM

6,628 posts, read 7,356,741 times
Assume you are talking about someone to manage your money and pay the bills etc.??? If yes then I have to assume your assets hit at least 8 figures????

Old 06-20-2019, 06:27 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
I don't understand the question.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-20-2019, 06:37 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,621,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Assume you are talking about someone to manage your money and pay the bills etc.??? If yes then I have to assume your assets hit at least 8 figures????
It’s very cost prohibitive and doesn’t make sense unless you have a billion plus assets

Old 06-20-2019, 07:31 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,542,010 times
I thought it was 25 million.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I thought it was 25 million.
You can do it at any asset level you want but c level executives aren’t cheap let alone the rest of the employees. If you “only” have 25mm to manage hiring a ceo and cio alone are going to be a hefty cost on a base of 25mm

Old 06-21-2019, 05:52 AM

4,282 posts, read 5,944,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Has anyone here set up a family office? Or participate in a multi-family office (MFO)? Thoughts?
We participate in what might be called a Multi-Family Office. Cost is $30/month. No that is not a typo, cost is equivalent to 1-1/2 pizzas per month. There is also a very low fee assigned to investments managed. I scour the annual disclosure agreements to identify these costs and they are mere tenths of a percent, some even less. For the convenience offered I am OK with these fees. The MFO has Certified Planners, CPAs, Lawyers, a Bank, their own Licensed Researchers/Vetters for investment opportunities, Insurance Agents, all co-located. We don't use their Bank as there is a Chase branch within walking distance of our home, nor do we use their Insurance Agents as we continue the use the same Independent Agent we have used for 40 years. We price check him too.

We pay all our own bills. I guess the traditional definition of Family Office meant that the FO paid all household expenses and arranged for any specialized services required. What we participate in is more of a "One Stop Shop for all Personal Financial Services Needs".

We have been with this MFO for ~20 years and find it reassuring that everything is in one location with one point of contact. This arrangement makes it easier for us now and for our children in the future.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
We participate in what might be called a Multi-Family Office. Cost is $30/month. No that is not a typo, cost is equivalent to 1-1/2 pizzas per month. There is also a very low fee assigned to investments managed. I scour the annual disclosure agreements to identify these costs and they are mere tenths of a percent, some even less. For the convenience offered I am OK with these fees. The MFO has Certified Planners, CPAs, Lawyers, a Bank, their own Licensed Researchers/Vetters for investment opportunities, Insurance Agents, all co-located. We don't use their Bank as there is a Chase branch within walking distance of our home, nor do we use their Insurance Agents as we continue the use the same Independent Agent we have used for 40 years. We price check him too.

We pay all our own bills. I guess the traditional definition of Family Office meant that the FO paid all household expenses and arranged for any specialized services required. What we participate in is more of a "One Stop Shop for all Personal Financial Services Needs".

We have been with this MFO for ~20 years and find it reassuring that everything is in one location with one point of contact. This arrangement makes it easier for us now and for our children in the future.
That may be true but you aren’t participating in anything remotely close to a family office or multi family office. No one would run one such a thing for 30.00 a month per family. How would an attorney, accountant and investment guy survive not to mention any staffing? You more than likely have a wealth management group

Old 06-21-2019, 11:57 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,777,121 times
...but I now think this is a far more esoteric question than it first seemed. sigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance