Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 06:33 AM

774 posts, read 1,048,998 times

Advertisements

Every year or two I've been asking for CL increases on two of my three USAA CCs. The third one is my oldest card and already has a much higher limit than the other two. Until this year, I've never had an issue getting an increase. It turns out that I am at the maximum unsecured credit extended on existing USAA accounts ($50,000).

I have asked in the past about rebalancing the limits across all three cards but they said they won't do that.

I'm considering asking for a CL decrease on the oldest card in the hope of getting increases on the other two.

The main reason is that the newer cards are cashback and the oldest one isn't.

Has anyone had a similar issue and how did you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 10:58 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Ah no. I have never asked for an increased limit on a CC - ever. Not once. Maybe you should just have one card.

Old 04-12-2023, 12:59 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Why do you need/want the CL raised? Do you actually use that much revolving credit or do you want the higher limit just to raise your credit score? If the cards I have weren't providing what I wanted, I'd be asking myself if there's a different type of revolving credit out there that suits my needs better.

FWIW, I've never asked for an increase to a CC's limit. Don't even know what mine currently are. If I had credit score issues, I wouldn't use a CC credit limit to boost it. IMHO people get way too obsessed over credit score points these days, especially when they aren't looking at financing a major purchase.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-12-2023 at 02:08 PM..

Old 04-13-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Ah no. I have never asked for an increased limit on a CC - ever. Not once. Maybe you should just have one card.
Thank you for your non-answer.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Why do you need/want the CL raised? Do you actually use that much revolving credit or do you want the higher limit just to raise your credit score? If the cards I have weren't providing what I wanted, I'd be asking myself if there's a different type of revolving credit out there that suits my needs better.

FWIW, I've never asked for an increase to a CC's limit. Don't even know what mine currently are. If I had credit score issues, I wouldn't use a CC credit limit to boost it. IMHO people get way too obsessed over credit score points these days, especially when they aren't looking at financing a major purchase.
According to Experian, my credit score is currently 824, so no issues there.

Right now I have 7 credit cards with a combined limit of $160,000. I generally only use two (USAA) regularly and a third (PenFed) occasionally (all $0.00 fee cashback cards). However, the two that I do use are two of the three lowest limit cards that I have. My third USAA card isn't cashback but it does have the second highest limit. If USAA would let me rebalance the limits the three cards I wouldn't have posted this.

Now I will be getting rid of one of the cards soon. It's a POS Synchrony card that I had to get for 0% financing on a Sleep Number bed. Two more payments and that one is history.

I would prefer having higher limits on the cards I use frequently.

The other three cards I only use when I get a notification that they're going to drop my limit or close my account if I don't use it.

I pay my balances in full, so I haven't paid credit card interest in years.

And finally, I am planning to buy a new car in the next year or two, so I want to keep my current excellent credit score until then.

Old 04-13-2023, 08:24 AM

3,259 posts, read 1,414,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
Every year or two I've been asking for CL increases on two of my three USAA CCs. The third one is my oldest card and already has a much higher limit than the other two. Until this year, I've never had an issue getting an increase. It turns out that I am at the maximum unsecured credit extended on existing USAA accounts ($50,000).

I have asked in the past about rebalancing the limits across all three cards but they said they won't do that.

I'm considering asking for a CL decrease on the oldest card in the hope of getting increases on the other two.

The main reason is that the newer cards are cashback and the oldest one isn't.

Has anyone had a similar issue and how did you handle it?
Have you considered applying for a credit card that better suits your needs/wants with another card company? Based on one of your later posts, your credit score is very high, and there are other companies that offer cash back cards likely similar to the cards you have with USAA, so I imagine you wouldn’t have trouble finding a suitable card(s) elsewhere.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Have you considered applying for a credit card that better suits your needs/wants with another card company? Based on one of your later posts, your credit score is very high, and there are other companies that offer cash back cards likely similar to the cards you have with USAA, so I imagine you wouldn’t have trouble finding a suitable card(s) elsewhere.

I've thought about it but I just don't want to add another card. I'm satisfied with the cards that I have, I just want higher limits on the USAA cards I use the most.

I think I'll wait until I payoff and close the Synchrony card first. Then I'll request a CL decrease on my third USAA card and then wait a few months to ask for increases on the other two.

If that doesn't work, then I'll look for another card.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:45 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
I asked for an increase last year & was denied. The reason? They said I don't use the credit I have NOW, so there's no point to an increase! LOL!!!!

I just wanted an increase to help my utilization rate. I pay off my credit card every month.

I'm thinking of getting a 2nd card, to increase my utilization rate. My FICO score is over 800, but can't go higher because of my utilization rate and/or my existing paid-off financing (car, home) fell off my credit report years ago due to time limit.

Old 04-13-2023, 11:56 AM

3,259 posts, read 1,414,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I asked for an increase last year & was denied. The reason? They said I don't use the credit I have NOW, so there's no point to an increase! LOL!!!!

I just wanted an increase to help my utilization rate. I pay off my credit card every month.

I'm thinking of getting a 2nd card, to increase my utilization rate. My FICO score is over 800, but can't go higher because of my utilization rate and/or my existing paid-off financing (car, home) fell off my credit report years ago due to time limit.
Just curious….how come you want to “help [your] utilization rate”? Clearly your credit score is exceptional….raising it is not going to make you eligible for lower rates. Your need for credit is low given you have minimal (zero?) debt.

Old 04-13-2023, 12:30 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times
Anything over 750 is excellent so I wouldn't worry about it when applying for a loan.

My wife had a USAA card and it wasn't anything special. I'd just ditch it and get something more appropriate.

Curious how much higher do you need and what is this typical spending?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance