Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:20 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

I find myself subconsciously comparing everyday prices to the cost of a full tank of gas...

Someone asked what I would charge to move some equipment for them and they thought the price high until I explained I just paid $120 to fill the tank of my 1985 Chevy Van...

Either people will have to get used to higher prices or learn to live without...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 11:25 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Well, gas has limited what I do on a weekly basis, thats for darn sure. I think anyone who expects gas to some how go back down to 2 dollars is in for a huge shock. I think it will probably fall a little at some point then continue upward from here on out. As you said, people will and most adjust. So must our local and federal government by making sound decisions. I hope this new transition we are in comes quickly.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:25 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I find myself subconsciously comparing everyday prices to the cost of a full tank of gas...

Someone asked what I would charge to move some equipment for them and they thought the price high until I explained I just paid $120 to fill the tank of my 1985 Chevy Van...

Either people will have to get used to higher prices or learn to live without...
Actually I'm more about when the first time when I walk to my car and find evidence that someone was trying to siphon my gas tank.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:34 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Added cost for petrol has come up for me on numerous occasions recently. Where once a local merchant might deliver as a courtesy, now fewer will and discussions ensue. I had two such discussions just this month, and both talked about the additional cost to them for petrol (gas).

Of course I understand as I too have to think before I leap into the car and run errands or go to the town where I have to delivery my own work.

So....it is what it is, but I sure think about it in ways I never have before and make every effort to piggyback trips to minimize costs.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:03 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Actually I'm more about when the first time when I walk to my car and find evidence that someone was trying to siphon my gas tank.
It is a real problem... There is a small 3rd generation Flower Business next to my work and they have 3 delivery vans...

Two weeks ago they found each of the van gas tanks punctured... the local Police said it is a new crime they are seeing... Puncture the tank and catch the leaking gas with a bucket.

For anywhere from a few dollars or more in fuel... these thieves are causing many hundreds of dollars in property damage and lost wages as well as the risk of fire and explosion...

Old 04-27-2008, 02:16 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:

Yeah, the oil number folks say most everyone will be heading off the stuff somewhere between $5 to $10 a gallon. Somewhere beyond that there is no economic justification that folks can do to keep buying and using it.

Even for the slow learners, eventually reality catches up and stops them -- sort of like the end of the housing bubble.

Smart thing to do is head off of oil, NOW! In advance of when you are forced off it. Start saving big the first day.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:55 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
Have I ever!

When we bought my sedan years ago, it was $20 to fill-it-up, and a tank would last about a week and half. Now, it is almost $70, and that h-u-r-t-s.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:12 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
It is a real problem... There is a small 3rd generation Flower Business next to my work and they have 3 delivery vans...

Two weeks ago they found each of the van gas tanks punctured... the local Police said it is a new crime they are seeing... Puncture the tank and catch the leaking gas with a bucket.

For anywhere from a few dollars or more in fuel... these thieves are causing many hundreds of dollars in property damage and lost wages as well as the risk of fire and explosion...
Sure. Cutting catalytic converters from under parked cars, too -- they contain Platinum, now more valuable than Gold.

The local economics become that it is okay to cause thousands of dollars damage to others to turn a few dollars for yourself. What we have practiced as a culture now comes home to roost.

As we sink deeper it all goes downhill fast from here if you follow the South African, Post-Soviet Russia, Argentina, Chile (on and on) collapse models.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
yep a lil,
i don't think we are guna just cowboy up on this one.
there needs to be a change in how we do biz. getting people out of
their mobile crab shells is going to be tough. 70 bucks is a lot but it
buys a lota safety.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:16 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
It's not just the price of gas. There isn't a product we buy that hasn't a lot of indirect costs due to oil/gas. Harvesting of raw materials, transportation to a storage place, then shipped again to a manufacturing plant where more oil is used, then again when assembled, again when transported to a central stirage place, then again to a store... From pencils to food to plastics... it's all going up right along with the price of oil.

This will continue for an indefinate period of time. Essentially, world wide inflation. In 3 years when the cost of everything we buy is 60-100% more expensive where will people be with respect to their houses?

It's very possible unbearably hard times are coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance