Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

When you applied for for a credit card you agreed to the fine print which allows the issuer to raise your interest rate under specified conditions.

Those who do not want to pay interest on money they borrow have the alternative of using good ole cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Update on my ongoing issue with Chase. Last night I got a bill from them again for a whole whopping $1.00. What this is for I do not know. So now that I have paid them their dollar, I have paid a grand total of $55.00 for an account that was closed and not used in years. And to top it all off, they own my Kohls account and have cut my limit on that. Again, perfect credit, low balances, no late payment and Chase still finds a way to stick it to me. I really really hate these folks and myself for ever getting into debt with them. Although considering the account I referenced had been inactive for years and closed it is a wee bit hard to hate myself because I have had no freaking debt with them. Can't wait to see what they try next. Maybe I will get a bill for a quarter!
Make sure they didn't "sign you up" for some kind of ID theft protection or other services that charges a fee. They did that to me with several programs once, I found out, they blamed me for signing up, I said "prove it". They couldn't so I got all my money refunded...

Chase will say they aren't directly responsible as they use middle men companies for these services, but I refuse to do business with them now after what I consider was pure fraud.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Make sure they didn't "sign you up" for some kind of ID theft protection or other services that charges a fee. They did that to me with several programs once, I found out, they blamed me for signing up, I said "prove it". They couldn't so I got all my money refunded...

Chase will say they aren't directly responsible as they use middle men companies for these services, but I refuse to do business with them now after what I consider was pure fraud.

Thanks for the warning. I will check it out.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 AM

314 posts, read 676,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
When you applied for for a credit card you agreed to the fine print which allows the issuer to raise your interest rate under specified conditions.

Those who do not want to pay interest on money they borrow have the alternative of using good ole cash.
I didn't say I didn't want to pay interest on the money. I don't think anyone is saying that. I just didn't agree to extortion. All they are doing is panicking about the current state of the economy and being counter productive by raising rates on all their customers. Logic would lead one to believe this will cause more folks to default and then they'll raise on their existing customers again....
I'm sure if you were to see an outrageous rate on your bill all of a sudden you wouldn't be so nonchalant about it.
It is one thing for them to charge interest but quite another for them to take advantage like they have....especially after they were helped by our tax dollars. They should be left to sink....not the American public. They made bad financial judgements so let's call them out for a change instead of knocking down people who have a cc balance. They are rigging accounts so that you can't pay down the debt....its all interest which is profit for them. How is that right?
I see all these companies with their hands out and the government is saving them. I'd like to see the government take some measures to help the people out who are being abused by these very same companies. If they truely want to eliminate their "risk" than they should give people a chance to pay back what they owe. Not make it impossible to do so.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:36 AM

38 posts, read 195,830 times
Thanks, I have a wamu checking account and a credit card going over to Chase. This is not good news to hear. I´d like to do away with my only two credit cards I have, they are both with Chase and have zero balances on them and hope to close accounts asap not to fall in any credit card debt.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:17 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

I always pay my balance in full and so never pay the interest, because of that very reason. I always knew that they could raise the interest for any reason and never wanted that exposure.

The problem is that this is the only contract that we get into that is totally one sided. We have NO power and they have it ALL.

Many businesses these days, online, will not take checks but ONLY credit card orders.

The other problem is that our economy has been running on credit. I mean, stores buy inventory often on credit and our very government runs on credit.

It seems as though only local governments and the consumer were expected to run on a balanced budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance