Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,764,282 times

Advertisements

My car is broke and its not worth fixing. I need a few thousand dollars to buy a new vehicle. I am borrowing a family members car right now, but that is not a long term solution.

I am going to be graduating college in less then a year and I work part time off the books at a restaurant and pull in about $300 a week.

I am looking to buy a car for like $3000 give or take a little bit. How can I go about getting a loan? what kind of information do I need? I have 2 credit cards that I pay off on time every month and I have had one of them for about 3.5 years.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 02:59 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
My car is broke and its not worth fixing. I need a few thousand dollars to buy a new vehicle. I am borrowing a family members car right now, but that is not a long term solution.

I am going to be graduating college in less then a year and I work part time off the books at a restaurant and pull in about $300 a week.

I am looking to buy a car for like $3000 give or take a little bit. How can I go about getting a loan? what kind of information do I need? I have 2 credit cards that I pay off on time every month and I have had one of them for about 3.5 years.

Give me a call at 1-900-STERLINGGIRL. If I can't help, I can set up a meeting between you and a nice man that I met on the internet who is willing to share 20% of his 23.4 million USD inheritance if you are willing to let him transfer the funds to your account

Old 03-20-2009, 03:35 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,259 times
Any car dealership can help you with that. There are bad credit type dealerships, used car dealerships and brand new car dealerships. They do the loan applications.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:51 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,168,657 times
You could try a "Buy here, Pay here" dealership.
You will be paying a higher interest rate and probably have to make payments weekly. It varies.
A missed payment will probably mean a quick repo.
If you can live with this you can build up your credit rating but you will be paying more in the long run than if you got an auto loan from a bank, etc.
If you choose to go this route I would go somewhere that has been in business for awhile and not some new fly by night business that is just starting up.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:22 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post

Do you really need a car right now? Maybe do the bike thing until you can save up enough to buy that car with your own money?

By the way, nice job on paying off your credit cards every month! Most college kids don't...come out of college with 5-10K of debt and it takes them a decade or more to pay off once those student loan payment kick in.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:24 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Give me a call at 1-900-STERLINGGIRL. If I can't help, I can set up a meeting between you and a nice man that I met on the internet who is willing to share 20% of his 23.4 million USD inheritance if you are willing to let him transfer the funds to your account
I don't get it...why the snarky answer?

Old 03-20-2009, 07:46 AM

732 posts, read 4,157,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I don't get it...why the snarky answer?
I think it was a joke

Old 03-20-2009, 08:09 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
I think this could be the perfect time to start a long-lasting relationship with a small local bank.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:02 PM

835 posts, read 3,977,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
You could try a "Buy here, Pay here" dealership.
You will be paying a higher interest rate and probably have to make payments weekly. It varies.
A missed payment will probably mean a quick repo.
If you can live with this you can build up your credit rating but you will be paying more in the long run than if you got an auto loan from a bank, etc.
If you choose to go this route I would go somewhere that has been in business for awhile and not some new fly by night business that is just starting up.
I have run into clients who have a "buy here pay here" car loan and when they go to get a mortgage think this is being positively reported to the credit bureau's only to find out when I pull their credit it is not. At least here in NC I have never seen 1 report anything good. It won't take them a NY minute to report the repo though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance