Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:21 PM

29 posts, read 82,444 times

Advertisements

when you pay them off and when you already have big ticket items that depend heavily on credit scores, ie, homes, cars?

*I understand about having one in emergencies so I have considered asking my bank to lower my limit , but other than that...*

When I mention paying off my cards AND closing them, it's like the world's coming to an end to some people. They alarm me to not close out the accounts because it will damage my score. I really don't care anymore since I have a car and am a home owner. Why have credit out there floating around for thieves when you have a 0 balance? Keeping the cards will only tempt you to charge when you don't have cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:35 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Are you absolutely sure that you will never need to use credit again? If so, then close away.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:42 AM

23,624 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Are you absolutely sure that you will never need to use credit again? If so, then close away.

"..it's like the world's coming to an end to some people. They alarm me.."

You must have some really nervous friends. I would say that for the people who don't know you, they are simply cautioning you. But for them it's not like the end of the world, or alarming.

Only because you asked why.....

Since you would be tossing yourself on the risky pile by asking for a credit limit decrease, you will may find the creditor would rather opt to close the account, especially if it's Bank of America, or rate jack you instead of just lowering the limit.

Once you, or the creditor, closes the card you would probably be fine for a couple years if you suddenly decide you do need credit. But I would imagine after two or three years you will get the "not enough credit experience" spiel.

Different types of credit, ie, mortgage, car loan, credit cards, store cards, etc., all impact scores differently. Guess which one has the most impact on scores.
A mortgage and car note are not enough to keep your credit scores up.

But then, you stated you don't care about your scores so I guess it's no big deal.

If you are worried about theft on your credit card, I sincerely hope you never plan on using a debit card. Theft and debit cards go hand in hand, with relatively no protection to your bank account. If you do plan on using a debit card, I would suggest that you open two separate accounts and only funnel a small amount into the account that is attached to the debit card. Do not place overdraft protection on that account and do not allow them to auto transfer funds from your base account to your debit card account. That way when your debit card is compromised you would only be out whatever small amount you had placed into that account, plus any fees the theft may cause.

Since you asked why I thought I throw out a few cautions and suggestions .. no end of the world or alarm bells going off.

Like formercalifornian said "close away" if you know you will have no further need of credit.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:26 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Believe it or not, some people who have credit cards actually have the discipline to use them conservatively and pay off every month's balance without being 'tempted' by their presence to go binge-spending.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:06 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju!1946 View Post
when you pay them off and when you already have big ticket items that depend heavily on credit scores, ie, homes, cars?

*I understand about having one in emergencies so I have considered asking my bank to lower my limit , but other than that...*

When I mention paying off my cards AND closing them, it's like the world's coming to an end to some people. They alarm me to not close out the accounts because it will damage my score.
These same people have been brainwashed into thinking your DEBT score, errr FICO score, is all that important if you have better hobbies than repaying debt all the time.

No fault of their own, though, since pretty much all lenders and even insurance agencies have fallen into that same hole where the rest of the lemmings fall into.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I routinely shred cards that I will not use, but I keep the account open. Very little risk that an open account will ever be "hijacked".

Pretty much only time I close account is when the terms become unfavorable, and even then if I can request that the terms be waived for a period (like for annual fee) I generally do.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:53 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I routinely shred cards that I will not use, but I keep the account open. Very little risk that an open account will ever be "hijacked".

Pretty much only time I close account is when the terms become unfavorable, and even then if I can request that the terms be waived for a period (like for annual fee) I generally do.
They don't need the card to hijack your account, the just need the number.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Why do you tell others you are closing down your credit cards? Isn't that something you should keep between yourself and well, yourself?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:18 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default The account number of shredded up, unused account would be hijacked how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
They don't need the card to hijack your account, the just need the number.

If you say that it would be "inside job" at the CC then what is to stop that same insider from just tapping into the credit bureau and using credit history to open all the accounts they care to...

Somehow I do not think that I have much to worry about...

Old 07-15-2009, 10:52 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Even if there is little risk of compromise, Chet, what is your reason for keeping them open?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance