Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 08:05 PM

414 posts, read 296,772 times

Advertisements

Has anyone explored the options of sourcing a student loan in the name of the student, with no attachment to the parent (as co-signer)?

There are simply too many rabbit holes on the web, so if anyone has gotten some concrete experience, I'm all ears.

Ideally, the student will incur the loans each year (for tuition) with the option to repay upon graduation.
I do not want to be linked to the obligation. I did that for year 1 and now am on the hook for immediate repayment at the comparatively high gov't rate for parent co-signer, currently around 7%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 08:07 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Unless said student is borrowing insane amounts of money, they should be able to cover it with federal loans with no involvement from a parent at all.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:05 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,813 times
Parents are under no obligation with the Federal Loans and getting private loans are very risky for everyone because of odd payback terms and such. If your child can't afford college with just the federal loans or with the addition of some of the state sponsored loans at worst, they need to go to a different school.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:43 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,829,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion99 View Post
Has anyone explored the options of sourcing a student loan in the name of the student, with no attachment to the parent (as co-signer)?

There are simply too many rabbit holes on the web, so if anyone has gotten some concrete experience, I'm all ears.

Ideally, the student will incur the loans each year (for tuition) with the option to repay upon graduation.
I do not want to be linked to the obligation. I did that for year 1 and now am on the hook for immediate repayment at the comparatively high gov't rate for parent co-signer, currently around 7%.
Here's a couple of pointers:

- There's something called Federal STAFFORD Loans, ever heard of them? They are taken out in the student's name, the only thing the student needs from you is your financial information to enter into the FAFSA and they will obtain their own financial aid package with Pell Grants (if they qualify) and the Stafford Loan amounts based on their current year in school. If they are over 24 they no longer need your financials.

- Do not EVER co-sign a loan for anybody on anything, that is beyond stupid. Did you save up anything for your "child" from age 0 - 18 for college? If not, co-signing on loans now to try and "make up for that" won't work.

- Teach your "child" how to pick a college they can afford based on the limited amount of resources that they have including the Stafford Loans and working on the side while in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance