Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:30 PM

890 posts, read 2,786,011 times

Advertisements

I have Amex, Citi, Bofa Visa, MBNA MC, Chase, and Discover.

The only active one is Amex for the % back.

Discover closed my account due to inactivity of 2 years.

Bofa keeps sending me those blank checks for purchases or money xfer.

MBNA is my oldest credit card, my first dating back in college.

Citi was opened by my wife, I don't use but my name is on it.

I also have pretty much most of the named department store cc. I open them to get free gifts. But don't use them beyond the first purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 12:31 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
Better to cut up a card than to close it. If they slap an annual fee on you then go ahead and close it.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:59 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,510,442 times
Close BOTH cards! The FICO score is nothing but an "I love debt" score. Pay cash and you'll never have to worry about it. You can still get a home loan with a FICO of "0" by using a bank that does manual underwriting.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:07 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
You can still get a home loan with a FICO of "0" by using a bank that does manual underwriting.
Which banks do manual underwriting? Wouldn't that limit the options of where to apply for a mortgage?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:07 AM

42 posts, read 88,252 times
whoisjongalt is right the credit score deal. I'm up to my eyeballs in debt and my credit score is still above 700. I keep looking for it to go down....but it doesn't....it just hovers around the same score. Granted....it was closer to 800 about 4 years ago.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:28 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Haven't you heard that it can drop your FICO score?
Also there is credit history if any of those cards is the oldest you have keep it open for sure.
Now if the OP can't control his spending habits the he should close them.
And also if anyone tries to charge an annual fee then he should close that one.
Any drop to the FICO score is actually pretty minor if you close a card.

Go Ahead And Cancel Your Credit Card, The Score Ding Is Minimal - The Consumerist

"The most important point made by spokesman Craig Watts is that it's a myth that if you close a credit-card account, all trace of it disappears from your credit score. In fact, he says, the credit agencies from which FICO draws information used to calculate your score hold on to payment history for years — the positive stuff for about a decade and the negative stuff usually for seven years. That information is used to calculate two parts of your credit score.

"One is payment history, which accounts for 35% of your score and which reflects, among other things, whether you made your payments on time and whether you welshed on any balance you may have owed when you chopped up your card. Another is length of credit history, accounting for 15% of your score, which reflects whether you're a newcomer to paying people back or not. All that stays, Watts says, if your card goes.

"You've read — perhaps from well-meaning people on FICO's own message boards — that you should never close your oldest credit card because your length-of-credit-history measurement will immediately plummet? Again, that's a myth, says Watts. (Dropping it might affect your credit score a decade from now, he grants, but the impact will be small potatoes compared to that of your credit-related behavior in the interim.)"

Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
I'd cancel the RS card and open up a VISA. They are accepted more widely than AmEx. If you are concerned about the credit history keep the AmEx until you have the VISA a few years, then go to one card (if you wish).

Old 03-09-2010, 11:55 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Haven't you heard that it can drop your FICO score?
Also there is credit history if any of those cards is the oldest you have keep it open for sure.
Now if the OP can't control his spending habits the he should close them.
And also if anyone tries to charge an annual fee then he should close that one.
I don't give a crap about any stinking FICO score and never did!

I'm to old fashioned for this flocking FICO game that the banks want to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If it is too tempting then you shouldn't have credit cards at all..... and lenders stopped thinking that way years ago.
If you can't pay your bills then what the heck do you need credit for?

Lenders now use that flocking FICO 'score" to dig the debt hole deeper for all the fools that buy into FICO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Do adults seriously lack this willpower to not use a card because it's open??!

I have 2 credit cards that I know don't use because they offer me no benefits--but because I wish to keep my "available" credit as high as possible. Your debt to available credit DOES affect your FICO score.

Seriously people...even if you need to physically destroy/hide your card not to use it, you shouldn't have to close it to not risk "tempting" yourself.
Closing a Credit Card is an act of taking control of YOUR money that banks don't want you to know about. If people listen to the banks then they will be enslaved worrying about the flocking FICO score when they should not.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:22 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Closing a Credit Card is an act of taking control of YOUR money that banks don't want you to know about.
I disagree. People can control their money without having to close cc.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
I have a credit card, several in fact. I guess I have no control over my finances, that bites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance