Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 31,281 times

Advertisements

Hello . I'm in deep trouble and the only option left for me is Suicide. I just can't think of anything to overcome the hassle I created by myself. Im so stupid that I trusted someone wholeheartedly broke me into pieces. I came to USA in 2009 on a F1 student visa , borrowed money from my family members for my education and living expenses since I cannot work here being on a F1 visa. I graduated and received an OPT visa which allowed me to work for 1 year. I found ajob, started working , got a decent pay , everything was perfect. I almost paid off 50% of loan that I borrowed from my family members back home. I met a girl who I fell in love with. She had financial trouble, had no job and her mother was sick. I helped her out with some bills she loved me too. we started living together i used to pay for almost all her bills. We decided to get married. I took the responsibility of all the wedding expenses and I thought once I marry her I will be able to work here life long as she is an American citizen and I can pay of my debt easily. she borrowed some cash for her mothers medical expenses and i thought everything was smooth and after marriage we both can work and pay off our debt together. but soon our debt turned into my debt. She cheated me . she never wanted to marry me , it was all for the money . Infact she had a boyfriend. I was so blind to trust her . all the debt came upto 45k. My visa expires next month and I can't live here legally. all I can do is go back home to india , find a job and try to clear the debt as much i can . I even have to pay my family but they will understand and give me some more time. The problem is I will end up making a very less amount in india and it will be hard to pay off this huge debt. I read on the internet that If I go back to india the companies will try to get the help of the consulate in india and try to find me. Will I be jailed? I do not plan to come to USA ever because I wont get the visa again. The copy of passport i submitted to the bank has my address backhome , will they come to me and chase me in india? The debt is not from 1 company but from different credit card companies. I know the credit card companies will sue me and give me the date to appear in the court, and if I miss attending the court ( since I will be in india) , will I be charged for failure to appear? will I be a criminal? Will I be jailed in india? If I do not pay them will I be able to live peacefully in india without any problem? Will there be any restriction for travel if incase I want to travel to dubai or china or any random country other than north america? Once I reach india, should I call the creditors and ask them to reduce the debt and give me some more time so that i Can pay them back? I just dont want to be a criminal. and I fully understand it was all my mistake. Please help me out. should I file bankruptcy, how long will it take ? I have to leave next month.
im a resident of georgia and my age is 24 . Please Please give me a solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 05:12 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,435,848 times
Unless someone decides to pursue you for fraud, you probably won't have any repurcussions. Why not attempt to get a job in the US though? Are you worried the debt will be an issue keeping you from staying in the country? You can probably get an extension on the credit card bills, and it would make more sense to stay in the US, make more money, and eventually pay off your debt. Are you panicking because there won't be a marriage, so you can't stay? Is your degree in a field where you'd make a high salary right away,

Old 03-10-2013, 05:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
You have no means of paying back the debt. Declare bankruptcy in the US. Go back to India.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:49 PM

I can't stay in USA because I have only one more month to stay here legally. Isn't declaring bankruptcy a long process? Will it take longer than a month? Do I need to have assets here to declare bankruptcy?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpatel View Post
I can't stay in USA because I have only one more month to stay here legally. Isn't declaring bankruptcy a long process? Will it take longer than a month? Do I need to have assets here to declare bankruptcy?
These are questions to ask a lawyer.

In the US, you cannot be jailed for failing to pay a debt unless the debt is associated with fraud.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,664,586 times
Are you still married? Did you try to work on a green card? Do you still have a job and could you not switch to a H1B? (I realize they are not easy to come by). What is your occupation? If you have a technical degree you might have more options. I'm really sorry. You are very young and this is quite a burden for your age.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 AM

I wish I had a technical degree or a green card. I just have a bachelors degree in business admins. I tried to transfer my visa to H1b but no employer was willing to sponsor me. I have two options. Stay illegal here and work like a mexican for lowest minimum wage and it might take 15-20 years to pay back the loan , or go back to india and find a job there , pay whatever I could to the debt that i owed the american company. I feel bad, they trusted me and gave me high limits.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:31 AM

438 posts, read 1,531,061 times
Quote:
I wish I had a technical degree or a green card. I just have a bachelors degree in business admins. I tried to transfer my visa to H1b but no employer was willing to sponsor me. I have two options. Stay illegal here and work like a mexican for lowest minimum wage and it might take 15-20 years to pay back the loan , or go back to india and find a job there , pay whatever I could to the debt that i owed the american company. I feel bad, they trusted me and gave me high limits.

Actually under both those options I don't see why you would bother paying the loans. If your illegal your under the radar, if you head home you're safe. They can't collect in either scenario.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,627 times
wow, this is an amazing story, how does her debt become your debt, need more detail there. If you are still married the debt is both of your debts.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:07 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,915 times
Quote:
im a resident of georgia and my age is 24 . Please Please give me a solution.
If you were 70, my suggestion would be different.

Since you are 24 and 45K is not a big amount. I would look for some sort of loan to consolidate your debts. The loan will come from ???(big question)
You owe these banks or credit card companies money that you have spent from them.

First, call everyone and close your accounts and cut up the cards.
Next, start paying 10K a year you would be done in 4 years by the time you are 28 and still don't have to live in fear of being arrested or jailed while travelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance