Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2007, 01:10 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

SAN FRANCISCO - From the state that popularized purse puppies, drive-thru dog washes and gourmet dog food delivery comes the latest in canine convenience - a company that contracts out dogs by the day to urbanites without the time or space to care for a pet full-time.

Marlena Cervantes, founder of FlexPetz, bristles when people refer to her five-month-old business as a rent-a-pet service. She prefers the term "shared pet ownership," explaining the concept is more akin to a vacation time share or a gym membership than a trip to the video store.

Upgrade Browser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 01:55 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,635 times
It's nice for some people, but it seems ridiculous to me . If I would rent a dog, I wouldn't be able to "return" the dog back, because I would get so attached...

Old 07-29-2007, 06:35 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
That's simply wrong! Dogs are pack animals and in today's modern society their pack is their family and to be tossed about like a tuxedo has to be hard on them emotionally.

If these folks want hands on time with critters why not simply volunteer with their local humane society?

Old 07-29-2007, 07:48 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
That's simply wrong! Dogs are pack animals and in today's modern society their pack is their family and to be tossed about like a tuxedo has to be hard on them emotionally.

If these folks want hands on time with critters why not simply volunteer with their local humane society?
Absolutely.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:57 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,917,397 times
I saw that in this morning's Denver Post and about flipped a lid. So much so I did a huge rant about it in my private blog. Here's a part of it - edited for here for clarification and some stuff you don't want to see here:

Quote:
I saw some news report on the early morning news yesterday (the above - about FlexPetz - was in the newspaper though) about how far people are willing to go to pamper their pets. Things like dog yoga and such. An "expert" said that essentially, when we take the dog and treat it like a human, we are not doing the dog any good. They lose their sense of pack living which is a part of their instincts. The people become less of the alpha "dogs" and it's no wonder that many dogs end up with psychological problems. They need to be in the pack and understand their role. They aren't four-legged humans.

Now I think given the FlexPetz that it's one thing to use dogs (and cats if they are that kind of cat and some are) in the role of therapy for various medical issues but to freakin' rent a dog just because you can't commit is just wrong. Therapy pets go with their owners and go home with their owners, this is a big difference. I think it may set up a long term attachment issue for a dog. I know first hand as I am Jake's (my dog) third owner and his previous owner would leave him alone (thinking of the the three days without food, water or even being able to go outside) and we have slowly worked through that issue and with Montgomery - cat - here (even though Montgomery isn't a fan) he doesn't have that behavior anymore, but on the rare occasion.

A dog isn't a convenience item, a car you lease or a gym membership you pay annually for. What's next? Renting children for those non-commital to being parents?

Okay, you want to spend $500 on a custom dog bed, that's up to you (I think it dumb but that's just me) or you want a diamond studded collar for your overpriced purebred...whatever floats your boat. I am cool with doggy day care as that helps dogs with socialization (so important to them and many dogs are left home alone with nothing to do...)....but this is just wrong.
Kind of jumbled as I was not happy after reading through their site. Go check out their site and their fees, charges and the like. Holy cow!

I feel sorry for those dogs.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:36 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,639 times
What a bunch of jackasses. FlexPets get's WSW's stupidest idea of the day award.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:29 PM

159 posts, read 355,762 times
Angry Dogs are not accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post

My thoughts exactly. How horrible for those dogs to never really get a permanent home or to bond with a family. I hope that they go out of business and soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets