Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of decorating dogs/animals for fun/a contest?
I think it's ridiculous. 7 58.33%
I think it's animal abuse. 1 8.33%
I think it's creative and the animals don't mind. 3 25.00%
This should be banned - call PETA! 1 8.33%
My dogs wear sweaters all the time. 1 8.33%
My poodle is pink! 1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 06:43 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times

Advertisements

I'm an animal lover, and I admit that sometimes I think it's cute to put sweaters on little toy dogs and boots on their feet to protect them from the snow/rain etc., I think Giggy on the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills is adorable, although I wouldn't dress up any animal I have.

But, do you approve or disapprove of this kind of animal exploitation?

I'm all for creativity, but I think this is offensive to the animal. Whether it harms them "chemically" or not isn't a concern of mine, I'm sure it's non-toxic, it's just humiliating.

Poll is multiple choice.

Poor Poodles! Dogs Get Decked in Colorful Dyes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 06:51 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
as long as the dog is not acting stressed I have no prbelms with "creative grooming" these dogs are taught from an early age, most LOVE the time being pampered and enjoy the attention at the shows even more.
none fo the dyes are dangerous (most are food coloring and colored chalk (like you give kids to play with on the sidewalk)

I don't personally belive dogs know what "humiliation" is...(its a HUMAN emotion not a doggy one)
id NEVER put a dog into a situation like this if the dog didn't like people, or crowded situations ect...
but for a dog that loves attention...they realy do seem to enjoy the whole thing....

and they are not typically elft like this for more than a few hours, at the end of the show they get shaved down so the coat can grow back in for the next time.

ive dyed my female crestie hot pink on a fairly regular basis for about 6 yrs (BC awareness fun stuff) and she LOVES the attention she gets from it...so I keep doing it...
my little male however doesn't like strangers so I don't put him in a situation to garnish any additional attention than he already gets....

Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
Thats beyond ridiculous looking, sometime I hate people. Dunno why anybody who likes animals would call PETA though =)

Old 04-12-2014, 04:52 AM

621 posts, read 1,422,665 times
Exploitation? Really? Know quite a few competitive groomers and the last thing their dogs would think is that they are being exploited.

Now pampered, spoiled rotten, fawned over, given tons of attention... yes that I would agree with.
Exploited? Nah..... they are dogs.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
OK for dogs I guess but certainly not for cats. everybody knows cats are a prideful bunch while dogs.......well you know dogs will do anything for attention.

Feline a little undignified?

Old 04-12-2014, 05:01 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
I think it is silly, but no harder for the dog than a regular grooming and those fuzzy types of dogs must be groomed regularly or their health suffers.

My guys all love their grooming sessions. Mom's attention focused all on just them. I don't try to turn them into a Disney character, but Wyatt McRiot wouldn't mind. He thinks any attention is good attention. If strangers wanted to point and laugh, he'd love it.

I'm sure only the best solid temperament fogs are used for those grooming contests. The dog in the photo looks stupid, but he doesn't look stressed.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:05 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
I wonder what the owners of those dogs would feel like if they were shaved and dyed to look silly beyond words. I would never and have never put any "clothing" on our pets (dogs or cats) and never will waste our money on such things.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:37 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
my dogs have more clothes than I do...but they also don't have fur to keep them warm, theres nothing "wastefull" about it in some situations...
however in those that are "wastefull" if that's what people choose to spend their hard earned money on...and the dog is not unhappy/stressed/uncomfortable (ie a warm sweater in hot weather, something too small ro too big ect) then whats the big issue?!

my female dog gets so excited when I open her drawer full of clothes that its very obvious im not harming her in any way.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:49 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,676,737 times
Humiliating?
My dog gets excited when she sees her clothes. I can bring her a new sweater and she knows its not socks for me but something for her. She recognizes doggy clothing. Even the hot dog outfit. I did not buy it, someone saw how she loved clothes and brought it over.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:24 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
OK for dogs I guess but certainly not for cats. everybody knows cats are a prideful bunch while dogs.......well you know dogs will do anything for attention.

Feline a little undignified?
Not cool at all.

The orange cat looks like he's frowning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets